Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Ashwin BhanushaliYour feedback matters!
Has your child been coughing frequently? Is the cough chronic in nature, making your child breathe rapidly and does he/she complain about a tightened chest? These symptoms signify that your child is having asthma. Asthma is a medical condition characterized by paroxysmal wheezing respiration dyspnoea. It is common in children and an affected child experiences difficulty in breathing, and a whizzing sound is produced, especially during expiration. Asthma may lead to severe health complications and needs immediate diagnosis and treatment.
Diagnosis: The diagnosis of asthma is based on the symptoms, medical history and a physical examination of the child.
The different modes of asthma diagnosis are as follows:
- Medical history and symptoms: You must tell the doctor about any history of breathing trouble with your child or whether there are chances of other inherited health conditions. You must explain your child's symptoms properly, which may include coughing, wheezing, chest pain or tightness and others if observed.
- Physical examination: A physical exam will be carried out in your child where the doctor will listen to his heart and lungs, and look for eye or nose allergies.
- Medical tests: A chest X-ray of the child has to be carried out, along with a simple lung function test known as spirometry. This test measures the amount of air present in the lungs and determines how fast it can be exhaled. Spirometry enables a doctor to determine the severity of the asthma. Some other tests are also carried out for the identification of asthma triggers. They include allergy skin testing, blood tests and X-rays to know if sinus infections are affecting the asthma. An asthma test determines the amount of nitric oxide in your child's breath.
Treatment: Based on your child's severity of asthma symptoms and his medical history, the doctor will provide you with an action plan to treat the same. This action plan explains all the medications your child requires, the dosage and schedule of the medicines. The plan also includes points on what to do when the asthma worsens and when an emergency treatment is required. Anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed to children who require bronchodilator medication. All asthma medicines used by adults can be used in case of children but in lower dosages.
You should give the asthma medications to your child using a home nebulizer or a breathing machine. A nebulizer delivers asthma drugs by transforming them from liquid to a mist. The child gets the drug by breathing it via a face mask.
In order to control and manage asthma in children, they must avoid the triggers and should keep away from any source of smoke. A doctor must be consulted to know about the best diagnosis and treatment methods.
Hello Doctors, My son having age of 7 months plus 1 week running now and I would like to know the food chart with timing. Could you please suggest and is he required any drops to continue? Thanks.
My baby girl is of 16 days old. Her weight is 2. 3 kg. And same is during her birth time. How can improve her body weight?
I have a child of 2 years. He has a problem that he always become I'll after 10 days. After giving some medicines he become good but after some time he again I'll. What can I do him?
I have my first baby (8 month) with cesarean delivery bcz I won't got pain till the delivery date whether there is an chance to get my second pregnancy with normal delivery & how long time I want to wait to get 2nd pregnancy.
Hi. My baby is 2 months old. I am giving him breastfeed inspite of that he is hungry. I have done each n every possible way to increase the milk production but nothing could work. Can I give the baby cow's milk. Please suggest.
Whether water can mineral water is used to boil? Or not please give me suggestions I am using for my 6 month baby?
My grandson is 3 years and 9 months old. While he utters few words he is yet to speak joining words together. He hears well understands active recognises colours items and very friendly. He toe walks. His delayed speech causes concern. Neurosurgeon says he would speak but late. BERA tests and others show he is normal. We put him in play school. He enjoyed. What can we possibly do to help him? We are in Bangalore.
My baby is 1.9yrs old with 8.9kg he has cold and cough from past 4 days. I'm using montair-lc (5ml at night) and ambrodil-s (5ml twice daily). Shall I continue for another 3 days or else any other medicine?
My baby is two months old girl. She is only fed mother's milk. Now she has not done potty since 3 days. Before this, she was doing normal potty daily. She is taking medicines bisgly-xt drops, rxplus drops, calshine p drops, ostocalcium b12 syrup that are prescribed 1 & 1/2 months ago by paediatrician. Now please advise, what to do for her normal motion.
My daughter 9 yrs old. Having clief plate in mouth. Having fits problem since 2 months after birth. Her birth date is 14/2/2006. Now near about 4 years fits problem solved. But still she dosen't stand, walk or speak due to some minor neuro problem. What to do? shall I get the exact help in advise from any pediatric neuro rehab hospital doctor. I am ready to send the mri & reports please.
Fluoride treatment is commonly given to children as their teeth are developing. If a child has a history of cavities or are at high risk of decay, he or she should use additional fluoride to promote remineralization. Often children get fluoride treatment done every six months for extra protection against cavities.
Dr Puja Bansal
Prudent international health clinic http://www.prudentdentalclinic.com
Dr. My son is 5 year old. He has cough since Nov 2015. I had given antibiotics like amoxyclav and azithromycin and asthalin coriminic and cetrizine syp but no effect. All his blood test chest xray and afb test are normal. In chest xray he had mild cardiomegaly. Drs. Done echo whis is normal.In blood test his eosinophil are 11. Drs says he has allergy in blood and prescribe Montair 10 mg one tab in night for three months. Dr. My question is can I give 5 year old child Montelukast 10 mg or less dose like 5 mg montair. And can it is ok for three months.
Proper and sound hearing is essential for a healthy living. If you are suffering from lack or loss of hearing, chances are that you are missing out on life itself. Therefore, it is imperative that you undergo treatments in case you are suffering from any kind of hearing ailment.
There are various reasons that contribute to loss of hearing. Some of the common causes are:
- Increasing noise
- Genetically inherited
Over the years various surgical and non-surgical methods have surfaced that can help repair loss of hearing and damage. Among the other branches of medicines, Ayurveda is the most old and ancient method. It uses natural herbs in order to correct and treat hearing loss. This has proved to be extremely beneficial and potent and it cures hearing ailments with the help of a number of natural methods. Some of them are:
- Lukewarm mustard oil or sesame oil: If you are suffering from ache in ears or loss in hearing, try putting few drops of warm mustard oil and sesame oil in your ear and hold it with index fingers. At the same time store air in your mouth and let your cheeks contract and bulge for a minute or so. This ayurvedic tip considerably improves hearing and reduces ear pain.
- Radish juice and sesame oil: If you are suffering from sores and hearing problems, a mixture of the two can be beneficial. In this method, a small quantity of Radish juice should be boiled with a small quantity of sesame oil, till the juice absorbs the oil. This mixture should be administered twice a day in order to experience the results.
- Applewood oil: A variety of ingredients are required in order to create the resultant oil. Initially cow's urine should be boiled and the applewood powder must be added to it. This mixture should then be filtered and further added with sesame and goat's milk. This concoction is then boiled and the resultant oil should be stored and applied with cotton daily. This improves hearing a great deal.
- Mixture of neem and turmeric: In this method turmeric and neem leaves are boiled together. The steam should be taken as well as the water must be applied on the ears and surrounding areas. This has proved to be an extremely effective remedy in treating pus in the ears and consequent hearing loss.
- Mixture of Radish juice, turmeric, sesame oil and ajwain seeds: All these ingredients must be taken in selective quantities and boiled to get the resultant oil. This oil must be stored and used to treat loss of hearing and other ear diseases.
Related Tip: "6 Signs You Need A Hearing Test"
My 4 years kid is having fever last 4 days. Today we did a blood check up for hims. Results says CRP level is 45. What does it mean? Is there anything wrong If CRP level go high? What are the after effects of this?
Can you give me an idea how many times in a day a 13 month old baby should eat and an example of what can be given and how many times in a day to give cows milk?
Dear sir my child born on 10 months before , by operation . After six months his right hand function is very slow compare to left hand. Two months he was treatment by psychotherapy, his right hand function is slowly recover, but fully not cured what treatment is required , in allopathy or homeopathy or sidda what can I do sir thanks sir.
Cold and cough is caused by a viral infection, which can last for about two to four weeks. The symptoms include stuffy or a runny nose, coughing and sore throat. Many times, the infection may raise body temperature and the child may suffer from fever. Our body’s immune system naturally fights with such infections. Depending on the type of cough and the symptoms, the virus can stay active in the body for about 4 to 6 weeks. It is quite painful to see the child suffering from cold and cough. The symptoms of this infection are worse during the first two days.
The child will experience pain and irritation in the throat with difficulty in swallowing, frequent coughing with mucous, breathing difficulty and high fever. Most parents rush to over the counter drugs for cold and cough to ease of their child’s agony. However, most drugs/ cough syrups available over the counter only provide temporary relief. Medical evidence suggests that antibiotics do not kill viruses, thus, it is not advisable to treat cold and cough with antibiotics unless accompanied by another infection. So, what do parents do? Well, there is a lot that can be done.
Let’s first understand the type of a cough your child might be suffering from:
- Dry cough: Generally occurs due to infection in upper respiratory tract, cold or influenza. Children with asthma and allergies are also prone to this type of cough as dry cough is triggered by smoke or dust.
- Croup Cough: A harsh barking and dry cough with swelling beneath vocal cords.
- Wet Cough: Most commonly caused by cold. This is an infection of the lower respiratory tract characterised by mucous secretions.
- Whooping cough: Characterised by fast coughing, breathing difficulties and a whooping sound while breathing.
Apart from this, If coughing starts suddenly along with choking, the child may have inhaled a foreign body. Immediate help may be required. For babies less than 12 months of age, cold cough followed by breathing difficulties may indicate bronchiolitis and require a paediatric attention. A normal cold and cough generally subside with two to four weeks. However, it is important to understand when to consult a doctor.
- Chest pain or breathing problems
- Cough lasting for more than 6 weeks.
- A yellow, green or brown mucous indicating another infection.
- Swollen glands, persistent high fever, rashes.
- Body getting pale and symptoms getting worse.
- Temperature higher than 38 degrees in the case of infants.
Precautions and diet that should be taken care of
- Increase Intake of fluids especially hot liquids
- Never stop breastfeeding the baby
- Vapour rub applied on chest and back is an effective remedy
- Inhaling steam provides relief to a sore throat and nose
- Intake of crushed tulsi leaves with honey or hot turmeric milk is soothing and very helpful
There is little we can do to prevent viral infections. However, proper care and caution can ensure a smooth recovery.