Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
My grandmother died of colon cancer. My question is whether it was familial? my mom was second child to her. First child was a boy.
I lost somebody close last year after his death I feel very guilty and my aim is that after this nobody die because of cancer.
My wife's right breast still delivers milk though my son already left breast feeding 1 and half years back. Is there any need for medical help?
What are some symptoms of lung cancer that are observed generally? Is long staying cough is one of them?
Is multiple myeloma curable my father is 71 years old and has been detected of multiple myeloma he is been under going chemotherapy since april his 5th cycle is going on how many more chemo he has to take his reports as showing good response.
Respected sir my cousin brother is fell with acute myaloma monocytic lukimea inter mediate stage. He already admitted in allopathy treatment. After nine month treatment what they says he got once again developing cancer cells. We totally upset is there any possibility please help us.
My sister is 40 years old. She is suffering from breast lump .she is taking homeopathic medicine for it. She feels Pain in her breast and pus comes out of her breast not from the nipple but the swelling sight of upper and lower part of her breast. It is the fnab report of her. Cytology - Fine needle aspiration biopsy - breast lump - microscopic smears reveal a low cell yield With large branching monolayered sheets of uniform epithelial cells. Numerous single, bare nuclei of benign type present in the background along with few fragments of fibromyxoid stroma. Comment - Fibroadenoma. Advice - HPE. Please suggest treatment.
Antiperspirants can cause breast cancer
A) True or False
You may have heard that chemicals in antiperspirants can get into your body through razor nicks and cause breast cancer. If this idea makes you break out in a cold sweat, here’s some peace of mind: Experts say there’s no evidence this is true.
Stay away from direct sunlight. Exposure to too much sunlight can be harmful to the skin. You probably already know that it can cause skin cancer, but did you know that it can exacerbate acne.
I am 39yrs male. I had my sigmoid colon removal due to a stage 2c colon cancer, it has been 9 weeks after my surgery, I am having very frequent bowel movements, that is around 10 times a day, how long will it take for me to have normal bowel movements, that's 2 to 3 times a day.
I have a lymph node from 6 weeks and I have pain in my eyes and sores in my mouth tongue. What is it. Please help me what I should do?
My whole mouth and tongue become red and I can't able to eat food properly. Is it symptoms of mouth cancer?
Cancer is an uncontrolled proliferation of transformed cells in any part of the body. Neoplasm or tumor are used variably to describe any swelling or new growth. Benign growths don't have the potential to spread to other organs or parts of the body while malignancy or malignant growths have uncontrolled proliferation and metastatic potential. Transformation is a multistep process with genetic alterations by which normal cells acquire malignant potential, uncontrolled proliferation capacity and capacity to spread to other parts of the body (metastasis) worldwide cancer is responsible for 1 in 8 deaths. Most common cancers are:
Men: oral cancer (in India), prostate, lung
Women: breast, cervix and endometrium, colorectal, lung
What causes cancer? cancer is usually multifactorial
1. Age- more in age group greater than 60 yrs compared to younger age group
2. Obesity- body mass index greater than 30
3. Tobacco - cigarette, cigar, bidi, hookah, smokeless tobacco like gutka, zarda etc. There is no safe form of tobacco.
4. Pan masala and supari
6. Ultraviolet rays exposure
7. Radiation exposure
8. Genetic factors
9. Others- pollution, certain chemicals, infections
Prevention of cancer:
1. Stay away from tobacco products
2. Eat healthy and daily physical activity- fresh fruits and vegetable are good, maintain optimal body weight
3. Be safe in sun
4. Cancer awareness and early detection: alarming signs are (caution)-
- Change in bowel or bladder habits
- A sore that will not heal
- Unusual discharge or bleeding
- Thickening or lump in the breast, testicles or elsewhere
- Indigestion or difficulty swallowing
- Obvious change in a wart or mole
- A nagging cough or hoarseness
5. Cancer screening: screening is for healthy individuals with education. Rather than going for unnecessary blind tests, a programme for screening should be planned in consultation with your oncologist as requirements are different for different cancers and differ as per age groups and gender. Also, screening is not effective in all cancers. Cancer education and awareness have due importance. Some cancers in which screening has been shown to be effective includes breast, colon, rectum, cervix, prostate, lung in high-risk groups but as mentioned earlier it is planned with participation of both individual and oncologist.
Types of cancer treatment:
Cancer treatment is now a multidisciplinary management in which different surgical, medical and radiation oncologist plan treatment protocol for best possible chances of cure. Advancement in all these fields and their contribution in comprehensive management results in 25-30% improvement in cure rate over previous decades.
- Surgery: involves surgical principles to remove the tumor with adequate margins and possible draining lymph nodes regions. Improvements and understanding of surgical principles even make resection of distant disease or cure of stage iv disease in some selected cases.
- Chemotherapy: cytotoxic drugs are given either in injectable or oral forms which acts on uncontrolled cancer cells. Advances in this fields result in drugs with better efficacy and less side effect profile and at the same time resulting in better cancer control. Targetted therapy acts on specific pathways of cancer growth. Hormone therapy targets specific hormone receptors for controlling cancer.
- Radiation therapy: is the delivery of radiation generated by radioactive source over the region of cancer. More and more advances in radiation technologists are emerging like imrt, sbrt to focus radiation over the specific location so as to avoid toxic effect over surrounding area.