Find numerous Dietitian/Nutritionists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Weight Loss Treatment
Customised Diet Chart
Treatment of Vitamin Deficiency
Treatment of Overeating Disorders
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Management of Obesity and related Disorders
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Bulimia Treatment & Management
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Treatment of Malnutrition
Treatment of Chronic Fatigue
Submit a review for Dr. Aparna PitreYour feedback matters!
I heard from an ayurvedic doctor that jeera water taken with lemon juice is helpful in reducing fat. How far is it true.
Mera age 19 hai lakin mai khana bhi time mai khati hu mai bahut patli hu mera weight bhi 35 haii mai halka moti hona chahti huu please help me.
My body is not growing height and weight whatever I do how to solve this problem in a good way and my skin is harsh.
How fenugreek works?
Fenugreek seeds are rich in soluble fibre, which may help to lower the blood glucose level through delayed gastric emptying and slowed carbohydrate absorption. The amino acid contained in the seeds may also directly stimulate insulin secretion and reduce insulin resistance. Fenugreek may also increase the number of insulin receptors in red blood cells and improve glucose utilization in peripheral tissues.
How to use?
Take a teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds and soak in water the overnight. Eat these soaked in the morning. These seeds can taste bitter but over time you can adjust to them. Drink all the water and chew up the soaked seeds. You may need more water to push them down.
The bitter taste of fenugreek seeds can be minimized by toasting them, adding honey or buying de-bitterized seeds. Powdered seeds can also be useful.
The usual dose of fenugreek seeds is 5 to 30 grams with each meal or 15 to 90 grams all at once with one meal.
What are the effects of fenugreek seeds on diabetes?
In type ii diabetes, adding fenugreek seeds to a meal decreases the increase in blood glucose after the meal. Fenugreek seeds show improved blood glucose control and insulin function. It reduces the fasting blood glucose in both type I and ii diabetes.
Dyslipideamia and heart disease are common in diabetics. Fenugreek seeds promote heart health and help in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
What are the side effects of fenugreek seeds?
Fenugreek seeds are completely safe when used in moderation. Nausea, abdominal discomforts like diarrhea and/or gas are few minor side effects which usually subside after a few days of use. When used topically on skin watch for skin irritation and rashes. These seeds are not recommended in pregnancy, as it causes uterine contraction.
My current weight is 86 kg. Thyroid (TSH level) 4.178. Height 5'7" Could it be my thyroid that is not letting me lose weight?
Foods that you must eat to gear up your metabolism and they will help you lose weight:
- Protein rich foods: Protein rich foods, such as meat, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes, nuts and seeds, could help increase your metabolism for a few hours. They do so by requiring your body to use more energy to digest them. This is known as the thermic effect of food (TEF). The TEF refers to the number of calories needed by your body to digest, absorb and process the nutrients in your meals. Research shows that protein-rich foods increase TEF the most. Protein-rich diets also reduce the drop in metabolism often seen during weight loss by helping your body hold on to its muscle mass. What’s more, protein may also help keep you fuller for longer, which can prevent overeating.
- Iron, zinc and selenium rich foods: Iron, zinc and selenium each play different but equally important roles in the proper function of your body. However, they do have one thing in common: all three are required for the proper function of your thyroid gland, which regulates your metabolism. Research shows that a diet too low in iron, zinc or selenium may reduce the ability of your thyroid gland to produce sufficient amounts of hormones. This can slow down your metabolism. To help your thyroid function to the best of its ability, include zinc, selenium and iron rich foods like meat, legumes, nuts and seeds in your daily menu.
- Chilli peppers: Capsaicin, a chemical found in Chilli peppers, may boost your metabolism by increasing the number of calories and fat you burn. Capsaicin may have appetite-reducing properties.
- Coffee: Studies report that the caffeine found in coffee can help increase metabolic rate by up to 11%. Furthermore, caffeine may also help your body burn fat for energy and seems especially effective at boosting your workout performance. However, its effects seem to vary from person to person, based on individual characteristics such as body weight and age.
- Tea: According to research, the combination of caffeine and catechins that’s found in tea may work to boost your metabolism. In particular, both oolong and green tea may increase metabolism by 4–10%. This could add up to burning an extra 100 calories per day. In addition, oolong and green teas may help your body use stored fat for energy more effectively, increasing your fat-burning ability by up to 17%. Nevertheless, as is the case with coffee, effects may vary from person to person.
- Legumes and pulses: Legumes and pulses, such as lentils, peas, chickpeas, beans and peanuts, are particularly high in protein compared to other plant foods. Studies suggest that their high protein content requires your body to burn a greater number of calories to digest them, compared to lower-protein foods. Legumes also contain a good amount of dietary fiber, such as resistant starch and soluble fiber, which your body can use to feed the good bacteria living in your intestines. Legumes are also high in arginine, an amino acid that may increase the amount of carbs and fat your body can burn for energy. In addition, peas and lentils also contain substantial amounts of the amino acid glutamine, which may help increase the number of calories burned during digestion.
- Metabolism boosting spices: Certain spices are thought to have particularly beneficial metabolism-boosting properties. For instance, research shows that dissolving 2 grams of ginger powder in hot water and drinking it with a meal may help you burn up to 43 more calories than drinking hot water alone. This hot ginger drink also seems to decrease levels of hunger and enhance feelings of satiety. Similarly, adding cayenne pepper to your meal may increase the amount of fat your body burns for energy, especially following a high-fat meal. However, this fat-burning effect may only apply to people unaccustomed to consuming spicy foods.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar may increase your metabolism. In one study, mice given vinegar experienced an increase in the AMPK enzyme, which prompts the body to decrease fat storage and increase fat burning. In another study, obese rats treated with vinegar experienced an increase in the expression of certain genes, leading to reduced liver fat and belly fat storage. Apple cider vinegar help you lose weight in other ways, such as slowing stomach emptying and enhancing feelings of fullness. If you’d like to give apple cider vinegar a try, be careful to limit your daily consumption to two tablespoons (30 ml).
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is experiencing a surge in popularity. That may be partly because coconut oil is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). This is contrary to most other types of fats, which usually contain higher amounts of long-chain fatty acids. Unlike long-chain fats, once MCTs are absorbed, they go directly to the liver to be turned into energy. This makes them less likely to be stored as fat. In addition, researchers report that a daily intake of 30 ml of coconut oil may successfully reduce waist size in obese individuals.
- Water: Drinking enough water is a great way to stay hydrated. Additionally, it seems that drinking water may also temporarily boost metabolism by 24–30%. About 40% of that increase may come from your body trying to match the water’s temperature to its own. Yet, the effects only seem to last for 60–90 minutes after drinking it and may vary from one person to another. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
How to reduce level of creatinine with food if it is in the range of 5-6. Please suggest ways to reduce level of creatinine.
Eating unboiled rice and potatoes Do its effect to our body ? What happen to our body if we eat unboiled rice n potatoes Please let me know.
Are you tired all the time, you eat, sleep and repeat, if yes then read on
Did you know that the human brain uses about 20 to 30% of a person's daily energy intake. That's why people who don't consume enough calories in their diet are more likely to experience lower motivation levels and mental alertness.
With the demands of today’s hectic lifestyles combined with too few hours of quality sleep and poor eating habits, it’s no wonder many people complain of fatigue and low energy. Nutritional deficiencies are also associated with fatigue.
Just like the car needs the right type of fuel; Don’t expect a standard car to run on diesel fuel. “Similarly the body uses energy-yielding carbohydrates, protein, and fat in very specific ways, consuming each in proportion to the other is essential to ensure sufficient energy to complete daily tasks, feel good, and to maintain an optimal state of health.”
Just as undereating can lead to fatigue, overeating puts the body in overdrive, channeling tremendous amounts of energy to digest and absorb the large amounts of food consumed.
How can a person feel refreshed after eating too much? It’s only natural to want to curl up and nap after a big meal; the resulting insulin overproduction can leave too little sugar available for immediate energy, resulting in lethargy.
Unfortunately, just as eating too much can lead to fatigue, fatigue can lead to eating too much, creating a vicious cycle of weight gain and decreased energy. Clients in this predicament must break the cycle by focusing on portion control, adequate sleep, and stress management.
Eat right to feel bright!
You wouldn't think there'd be a lot to learn about underwear — wear it, change it, wash it, repeat — but there's actually more than most men think. And whether guys choose boxers, briefs, or live to go commando, chances are, underwear rarely gets a second thought. “Underwear most importantly needs to be changed frequently and always remain clean, and I need to tell you, be discarded when they are thread-bare or stained,” he stresses. “If you work out or sweat excessively, it may be a good idea to change midday to remain fresh.”
My weight is not gaining. It's still on 60 kg from 2 years ago. I eat food properly but it doesn't effect.
Hi Can I drink green tea after icing it? Like can I just squeeze 2 lemons and dip a bag of green tea and freeze it and then keep drinking for my whole day? Will it be equally beneficial as warm green tea or less than that?
Would you like to share this interesting fact with family or friends? go ahead and share!