Find numerous Oncologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Oncologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Anupama Borkar BhagiaYour feedback matters!
My mother in law is 80. She has recently been operated for breast cancer her breast is removed. Drs have suggested chemo therapy but she is undergoing homeopathy treatment. Is it ok?
What are the chances that I will develop lung cancer if I am smoking for more than five years and what are the common symptoms of cancer?
New research on urinary and sexual outcomes could eventually help prostate cancer patients decide on their course of treatment.
“The ultimate goal is to develop a predictive tool that lets patients decide which treatment is right for them based on the symptoms they have beforehand, and their tolerance for any change – even temporary – in those symptoms,” said researcher Matthew Johnson, MD in a press release. Dr. Johnson is a resident physician in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
Dr. Johnson and his colleagues presented their study findings in September at the American Society for Radiation Oncology’s 56th Annual Meeting.
Their data came from two study groups of men with prostate cancer who received one of four treatments: intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), low dose rate brachytherapy (LDR), post-prostatectomy IMRT (PPRT), or radical prostatectomy (RP).
Using questionnaires, the researchers assessed the men’s symptoms at baseline and after treatment.
One group of 3,515 men completed the American Urological Association Symptom Score, designed to evaluate urinary symptoms. Over 14,500 surveys were completed. Lower scores on this tool indicate better urinary function. This group was followed for a median of 28 months.
For patients who received IMRT, follow-up scores were slightly lower than baseline. PPRT patients had similar results. LDR patients tended to see an initial score increase when compared to IMRT patients, but fell back to comparable levels after 34 months. Men who underwent RP had lower scores at baseline and after treatment.
The Sexual Health Inventory for Men (SHIM) questionnaire was used to evaluate sexual symptoms in a group of 857 men who completed more than 2,600 surveys. Higher SHIM scores are associated with better sexual function. The median follow-up time was 18 months.
The scores of men who were treated with LDR and PPRT were not much different from those treated with IMRT. However, men who had had RP had the largest score decreases between baseline and follow-up.
These results could help clinicians counsel patients with prostate cancer, the authors noted. In this way, patients could have a better idea of what to expect in terms of urinary and sexual symptoms.
American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
Johnson, M.E., et al.
“A Comparison of Urinary and Sexual Function Patient Reported Outcomes (PROs) Among Treatment Modalities for Prostate Cancer (PCa)”
(Abstract presented at ASTRO’s 56th Annual Meeting. September 16, 2014. Presentation #180)
Fox Chase Cancer Center
“Fox Chase Study Helps Identify When and How Much Various Prostate Cancer Treatments will Impact Urinary and Sexual Functioning”
(News release. September 16, 2014)
- See more at: http://www.issm.info/news/sex-health-headlines/prostate-cancer-treatments-and-urinary-sexual-functioning#sthash.Tym9DcEt.dpuf
Hello Dr. Can my wife take cervical cancer vaccine during breastfeeding. My son is 10 months old now and she will turn 30 by next year. We heard that vaccine to b taken before 30 years. Pls recommend?
1) vitamin c rich foods
Citrus fruits, guava, amla, tomato, green leafy vegetables all of them are high in vitamin c. This element prevents the formation of cancer-causing nitrogen compounds.
Berries top the charts when it comes to cancer fighting foods. Pterostilbene, an antioxidant found in berries is a storehouse of cancer fighting properties
3) sweet potatoes
Sweet potato is full of beta carotene. Studies have revealed that consumption of high beta carotene foods like yellow, red, green colored fruits and veggies reduce the risk of various cancers.
Omega 3 fatty acids prevents the growth of cancer by preventing the growth of cancer cells and interrupting the growth of cancerous tumor. Omega-3 fatty acids also help reduce inflammation. Along with fatty fish, one can also include a tbsp of flaxseed in your daily diet.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, acts as both an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant, and prevents cancer by interfering with aspects of cellular signaling
5) green tea
Tea contains catechins compounds, these compounds restrict the growth of cancer.
6) cruciferous vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli cabbage contain phytonutrients which may help inhibit the metabolism of carcinogens and stimulate the body's production of detoxification enzymes.
It contains lycopene which helps prevent prostate and other types of cancer.
Pomegranates are rich in ellagic acid. It slows down cancer cell growth and deactivate cancer-causing compounds.
Again, a food rich in anti-cancer substances including allicin.
Hi, I am 7 month pregnant I have feel pain when I touch my left breast side near my armpit in particular side. In whole pragnancy I have this pain. My left breast size also bigger than right. I have small lump in my left breast but Dr. Says its normal. So why I have pain in particular area. Please suggest me.
Cancer is an uncontrolled proliferation of transformed cells in any part of the body. Neoplasm or tumor are used variably to describe any swelling or new growth. Benign growths don't have the potential to spread to other organs or parts of the body while malignancy or malignant growths have uncontrolled proliferation and metastatic potential. Transformation is a multistep process with genetic alterations by which normal cells acquire malignant potential, uncontrolled proliferation capacity and capacity to spread to other parts of the body (metastasis) worldwide cancer is responsible for 1 in 8 deaths. Most common cancers are:
Men: oral cancer (in India), prostate, lung
Women: breast, cervix and endometrium, colorectal, lung
What causes cancer? cancer is usually multifactorial
1. Age- more in age group greater than 60 yrs compared to younger age group
2. Obesity- body mass index greater than 30
3. Tobacco - cigarette, cigar, bidi, hookah, smokeless tobacco like gutka, zarda etc. There is no safe form of tobacco.
4. Pan masala and supari
6. Ultraviolet rays exposure
7. Radiation exposure
8. Genetic factors
9. Others- pollution, certain chemicals, infections
Prevention of cancer:
1. Stay away from tobacco products
2. Eat healthy and daily physical activity- fresh fruits and vegetable are good, maintain optimal body weight
3. Be safe in sun
4. Cancer awareness and early detection: alarming signs are (caution)-
- Change in bowel or bladder habits
- A sore that will not heal
- Unusual discharge or bleeding
- Thickening or lump in the breast, testicles or elsewhere
- Indigestion or difficulty swallowing
- Obvious change in a wart or mole
- A nagging cough or hoarseness
5. Cancer screening: screening is for healthy individuals with education. Rather than going for unnecessary blind tests, a programme for screening should be planned in consultation with your oncologist as requirements are different for different cancers and differ as per age groups and gender. Also, screening is not effective in all cancers. Cancer education and awareness have due importance. Some cancers in which screening has been shown to be effective includes breast, colon, rectum, cervix, prostate, lung in high-risk groups but as mentioned earlier it is planned with participation of both individual and oncologist.
Types of cancer treatment:
Cancer treatment is now a multidisciplinary management in which different surgical, medical and radiation oncologist plan treatment protocol for best possible chances of cure. Advancement in all these fields and their contribution in comprehensive management results in 25-30% improvement in cure rate over previous decades.
- Surgery: involves surgical principles to remove the tumor with adequate margins and possible draining lymph nodes regions. Improvements and understanding of surgical principles even make resection of distant disease or cure of stage iv disease in some selected cases.
- Chemotherapy: cytotoxic drugs are given either in injectable or oral forms which acts on uncontrolled cancer cells. Advances in this fields result in drugs with better efficacy and less side effect profile and at the same time resulting in better cancer control. Targetted therapy acts on specific pathways of cancer growth. Hormone therapy targets specific hormone receptors for controlling cancer.
- Radiation therapy: is the delivery of radiation generated by radioactive source over the region of cancer. More and more advances in radiation technologists are emerging like imrt, sbrt to focus radiation over the specific location so as to avoid toxic effect over surrounding area.
What are the reason for cancer? And what are the appearance of cancer. And what garlic little bit cure the cancer.
According to the American Cancer Society and Colon Cancer Alliance, colon cancer, which is also referred to as colorectal cancer is regarded as the third most commonly diagnosed cancer type as well as the second most important reason of cancer death in the U.S. affecting both men and women. But thankfully, colon cancer can be prevented by changing the food habits.
It is also important to get regular screenings through colonoscopy, which will help you to determine the early or precancerous stage that can be treated with the removal of cancerous cells. Colorectal cancer is deemed to be cancer-related to the food habits and it can be prevented by correcting the same. Here are the top ways through which you can help your condition naturally:
- Reduce the amount of red meat consumption: Health studies reveal that people who eat red meat on a regular basis are more prone to developing colon cancer. This is because the chemicals required to digest this food damage the DNA material which in turn is the main reason behind the cause of cancer.
- Increase the amount of garlic intake: By consuming more garlic, you can reduce the risk of developing different types of cancer, particularly those of the gastrointestinal tract. Garlic is rich in anti-bacterial properties that can block the pathways of cancer causing elements and boost the repair as well as reduce the proliferation of cells. It is also high in selenium and sodium content which are beneficial for the overall health.
- Consume all types of plant antioxidants: The bright coloured fruits and vegetables, as well as herbs and spices, can greatly contribute to adding a wide array of antioxidants in your regular diet. Foods that are rich in anti-oxidants include carrots, pomegranates, cranberries, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, apples, cabbage, turmeric, sage, rosemary, saffron, purple and red grapes.
- Cook foods in olive oil: Olive oil is rich in anti-cancer properties and it helps in reducing bile acid and increasing the enzymes that can regulate the growth of the cells on the intestine lining so that tissues can be renewed. Antioxidant compounds called phenolics are present in olive oil and have also proven to be a cancer protective anti-oxidant.
- Increase the consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids: It has been reported by several types of research that a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids can reduce the occurrence of colon cancer and therefore you must eat a lot of salmon, cod, mackerel and sardines for decreasing the pro-inflammatory levels in your body.
These few alterations to your food habits can greatly help you in preventing colon cancer and you can consult a doctor for a detailed analysis and recommendation based on your individual health condition.
I am 35 yo male. I have developed a painful node on my left upper breast. It's painful to touch. What it could be? It's been there for couple of weeks.
. Is there any blood test or any other test to detect the presence of cancer. A blood test-AFP (Alpha fetoprotein Tumor Maker Serum) CMIA was conducted. Reading is <2.0 ng/ml. What this reading mean. The LIMIT mentioned is <10. What does it mean. Good or Bad. Is there something wrong to tae care or worry about. Please advise.
Breast Cancer and Prevention
Research consistently shows that drinking alcohol does increase the risk for breast cancer. Alcohol can increase levels of estrogen and other hormones associated with breast cancer. Alcohol may also increase breast cancer risk by damaging the DNA in the cells
Foods and Beverages with Vitamin D such as green tea pomegranate circumin and soy may have an anti carcinogenic effect. Curcurmin has recently been discovered to have a variety of benefits including its role in breast cancer prevention. Dietary intake of soy and atleast eight glasses of pure water daily will help control the risk of breast cancer.