Find numerous Dentists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dentists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Ankit ShettyYour feedback matters!
Sir my son 19 year old having 6' height is having 50 kg weight since last two years he has a problem of mouth ulser frequently i. E. 2-3 times in a month please suggest to relief from mouth ulcer and weight gain.
Hi I am male the age of 38 years old my problem is that my mouth is not opening at the very large length. Coz I have tobacco every day. I need to know whether to have or tablets to open my mouth or to have lots of food for the months and one more problem due to this I can't eat spicy food.
Hi Can dental cavity formation be reduced? What are some good fluoride based toothpaste found OTC? And is regular scaling a good procedure for prevention and cleaning of plaque buildup?
I'm 33 years old. I undergone orthodontics treatment on 2 days back, my tests slightly in front, I wanted to know what are the precaution to be taken to eat and drink, can hot tea, coffee can be taken? Non veg can eat or not, Which toothpaste can be useful? Please suggest.
My age is 30. My mouth is very bad smell in my throat. & what is the reason for this smell? How can I cure it?
Though it may be very common, spitting out blood while brushing, however little, is not normal. Bleeding gums can be an early sign of gum diseases like gingivitis and periodontal disease and hence should never be ignored. It can also be a symptom of scurvy. Plaque, when accumulated over time can lead to the inflammation of gums. Vigorous brushing or flossing over these inflamed gums can make them bleed.
Other causes for bleeding gums can include:
- Vitamin deficiency
- Blood thinners
- Mouth sores
- Bleeding disorders
- Hormonal changes
- And, health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and leukemia
Regular dental checkups are essential to maintain healthy gums. A tooth clean up will rid your mouth of plaque and tartar that cause gum infections. Apart from that, here are a few things you can do at home.
- Eat a healthy diet: Avoiding excessive sugar can help keep your gums and teeth healthier. Replace this sugar with a diet rich in vegetables and fruits. This gives your gums the necessary nutrients. Chewing raw vegetables can also improve blood circulation in your gums and can help treat bleeding gums. Boosting your intake of vitamin A, C, calcium and magnesium can also keep your gums healthy.
- Dental routine: Brushing and flossing regularly are crucial to good dental health. This removes harmful bacteria that trigger dental infections. Make it a habit to brush and floss at least twice a day. The way you brush also makes a difference. Brush both sides of your teeth in an upwards and downwards movement instead of going from side to side. Also pay attention to the condition of your toothbrush. Change your toothbrush every six months and pick a soft or medium bristled toothbrush instead of firm bristled toothbrushes. Hard brushes can damage the soft tissues inside your mouth. Also, make it a habit to rinse your mouth with mouthwash after every meal. Alternatively, you could use a weak saline solution or hydrogen peroxide.
- Manage stress: Even your gums are affected by stress. Stress increases inflammation that causes bleeding and reduces the immune system's capability to fight infections. Studies have also shown a direct relationship between stress and the build up of plaque. Stress can also make it harder for you to maintain a healthy lifestyle and good dental habits.
- Stop sharing: Bleeding gums is a communicable infection. To protect yourself from bleeding gums, do not share things like glasses, cutlery etc. sharing toothbrushes should always be considered as a taboo.
Hi! My daughter is 12 and she asks for braces for correcting her teeth line, which I agree to. What age is apt for getting this done? Need to know the basic difference between retainers and braces. Thanx a lot in advance!
I have teeth problem when I take cold item my side teeth will be paining. Can I have suggestion to protect my teeth and pain.
I brush twice times daily but still there is plaque on my teeth. How to clean ig properly so that it looks purely white?
What is scaling?
Over time, even with regular brushing and flossing, plaque (sticky, soft, bacteria infected layer) and tartar (calcium) deposits build up on your teeth. Scaling removes the tartar and plaque with specialised equipment. Scaling effectively cleans up your teeth by using ultrasound to loosen the tartar and then using tools to scrape it off from the surface of the tooth.
What is polishing?
Polishing is done to remove excess plaque and remove stains. Scaling is always followed by polishing. Polishing also smoothes and shines the teeth to prevent plaque from building up again. It is either done by foam or fluoride gel treatment to reduce the possibility of tooth decay and sensitivity.
Why are they done?
Scaling and polishing are not only done for cosmetic reasons; they are also done for overall oral health. Excessive plaque and tartar buildup will eventually lead to the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive and multiply. The ultimate purpose of polishing and scaling is to clean the surface of the teeth so that the bacteria cannot attach to them and cause serious oral problems (such as gum disease). Also, scaling and polishing offer far better cleaning of your teeth than everyday brushing and flossing.
However, scaling and polishing is not a curative treatment. If your teeth have been damaged by cavities or other oral diseases, you need medical attention.
In fact, professionally, this treatment is called prophylactic treatment; and the word ‘prophylactic’ comes from prophylaxis, which is Greek for ‘to prevent disease’. Thus scaling and polishing is more of a preventive measure than a cure.
Do they hurt?
This process is essentially painless. Most of the people who undergo this treatment usually have the following experiences:
- Tickling sensation
- Coolness from the water used to clean the mouth
- Pressure during the scraping process (The dentist uses specialised tools to “scrape” the tartar deposits off the tooth’s surface). If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.