Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Anil ShettyYour feedback matters!
Usually I will drive 25 km daily. Now my eye ball become yellow and looks so dusty could you suggest some eye drops.
Cataract usually affects people who are above 40. It is a blurring of the eye’s lens, which lies at the back of pupil and iris. It is the most usual cause behind the loss of vision for people above 40. Research also states that it is a major cause of blindness in the world.
Types of cataracts:
- Subcapsular cataract: People who are diabetic and those are taking high steroids are more prone to subcapsular cataract. In this type, the cataract develops at the back of the lens.
- Nuclear cataract: A nuclear cataract is related to aging. It usually affects the central portion of the lens of the eye.
- Cortical cataract: It is a white opacity, which begins from the periphery of the lens and spreads up to the center of the lens in a spot-like manner. It usually affects the cortex of the lens.
- In the beginning, cataract affects a small portion of your eye and affects your vision.
- Your vision gradually gets blurred.
- Too much exposure to the light might cause glare.
- In nuclear cataract, you may notice a short-lived improvement of your near vision.
- In subcapsular cataract, you cannot notice any symptoms in the initial days.
Cause of cataract:
The lens inside our eyes acts like a camera and it is made of protein and water. The protein helps in keeping the lens clear. But with aging, the protein may start to form a lump, which causes cloudiness in the eye area. With time the cataract spreads all over the lens and creates more cloudiness, which ultimately leads to blindness. The factors which usually trigger cataract are
- UV rays from sunlight
- Consumption of high dosage steroids medicines
- Statin medicines
- History of eye inflammation or any eye injury
- History of eye surgery
- Too much consumption of alcohol
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Family history of cataract
Prevention of cataract:
It cannot be guaranteed whether cataract can be prevented or not. A study shows that cataract is caused due to the oxidative changes in the lens of the eye. Nutrition studies have shown that consuming vegetables and fruits, which are high in antioxidants, may help in preventing cataract. Dietary intake of vitamin E, carotenoids lutein, and zeaxanthin from supplements and food items can decrease the risk of developing a cataract. Sunflower seeds, spinach and almonds are good sources of vitamin E. Kale, spinach, other leafy green veggies are the good sources of zeaxanthin and lutein. Food items that contain Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin C decrease the chances of cataract.
Last, but not the least, when you step out, always wear a sunglasses, which has the ability to block UV rays. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ophthalmologist.
Hello sir am 24 male I got eye pblm because past one month I sawed welding flash light near 15 min so I got eye irritation after I get eye drops in near medical shop I used tn eye irritation stopped no I can't see clearly long objects look like little mild can you please say the solution.
I am 21 years old female and I surgeries for one eye because of cataract. I used lap for 8 hrs daily and some times eyes are pain. How to reduce that pain. Please suggest me about eyes.
I am a 19 yr guy. I started developing eye floaters one week ago, is it curable or dangerous. Pls am worried whether its cause of something else serious.
Hello, How to get rid of an pink eye? I woke up this morning and found one of my eye glued up with a crust that's making it difficult to open my eye, now it's turned red, please help me and suggest me someways to get rid of this as it's very annoying.
I am 23 years old. I suffered pimples and dark circles from last 5 years. what should i do? please advice
Some black shades are found in around my eyes (below part of eyes ). Why it is found? How it can be removed?
Eyes are the most important part of our lives. There are various branches of medicine, which treat different aspects of the eye. Chief among them are:
Ophthalmology deals with the structure, physiology and diseases of the eye. On the other hand, optometry is a vision care science, which involves the treatment and rectification of the visual system. Specialists emerging from these two schools of medicines are called Ophthalmologists and optometrists respectively. Though, they both deal with the corrective measures and examination of healthy eyes, there are crucial differences between them.
Some of those differences are listed below:
- Meaning: A specialist in surgical and medical eye problems, who performs operations in the eye is called an Ophthalmologist. On the other hand, an Optometrist is a specialist who has a degree in Doctor of Optometry (OD). He is not a doctor but a trained individual.
- Area of Specialization: Both these specialists have different areas of specialization. An Ophthalmologist specializes in only vision and eye care. He/she has the necessary training to perform operations on the eye. On the other hand, an Optometrist is not a doctor, but a specialist who is involved in diagnosis, management and treatment of vision changes. He/she has the license to perform eye exams and tests and can prescribe corrective lenses.
- Training: Both the specialists differ vastly in their training. An Ophthalmologist is trained to treat all eye problems and is equipped to perform operations. He/she undergoes four years of medical school and one year of internship in any hospital. Optometrists on the other hand, after three or more years in college have to undergo four years of training before receiving a doctor of Optometrist. (OD).