Find numerous Psychologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sex Addiction Counselling
Submit a review for Dr. Amrita AchrekarYour feedback matters!
I have problem of over thinking of extremely negative thoughts. What to do. Is there any ayurvedic or other medicines for that. I can not concentrate on my regular work because of this.
I do not have memory I think I can not concentrate on things. I think I have no concentration due to multi tasking. How can I get concentrate on things.
I want to broaden my shoulders. Im feeling something that I can't explain while im talking with female staffs and I don't know what I talk to them at that time. Im a shy personality guy. I can not handle the situation if i m with male and females. What is my problem behind this questions. Please reply me and give me a suggestion to come out of this.
I am 19 year old CA student. I have a problem in giving sitting for, a long and not able to concentrate on my studies. When I sit my ming goes to the other directions which doesn't let me studying.
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time. Please help me.
My husband is 28 years old. He is taking alcohol and he is also smoker. please suggest me any medicine which have no sideeffect. please inform me side effect of tablet dizone.
I don't want to get in a relationship now and I haven't get in to one in my life I want to get in a relationship at age of 22_23 Is preventing my self from love now .Would that effect my sense of love in future ?
Bipolar disorder is also known as manic depression. This usually sets in low and high moods in a person along with changes in energy and sleep.
People with bipolar disorder tend to have periodical changes; sometimes they are over happy and other times they might feel sad, depressed and hopeless. Between these changes they are normal. The highs and lows are considered as extreme poles of moods, thus the name bipolar disorder.
Manic term is used when a person with bipolar disorder is highly excited and feels confident. Also, feelings of irritability and recklessness along with irrationality might occur. Some people with mania might have a hallucinations that is they see and hear things that are not there, along with delusions.
The term hypomania is used to describe mild symptoms of mania, in which a person does not have hallucinations and delusions and the symptoms do not interfere with their daily life. Similarly, the term depressive is used to describe a person's time when they feel depressed or sad.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
- The highs and lows in a bipolar disorder do not follow any set pattern. One might feel manic or depressed for hours or days or weeks, months and even years together, before they actually switch to a happy mood. The severity depends from person to person and also changes with time by becoming less or more severe.
- Symptoms of mania or the high are extreme excitement, change from being happy to angry and irritable along with restlessness, speech is rapid with low concentration, less sleep and increased energy, grand plans, alcohol and drug abuse and impulsiveness.
- Symptoms of low or depressive phase are lethargy, worthlessness, feeling of sadness and hopelessness, lowered concentration, irritability, loss of sleep or excessive sleeping, loss of appetite and suicidal tendencies.
Diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder
- In case someone exhibits symptoms of bipolar disorder, then talking to a psychiatrist or a doctor helps. Doctors ask questions related to the mental illness and the associated concerns. Diagnosis is basically recognizing the symptoms of the person, whether they are due to some underlying cause or mood swings because of excessive alcohol. The symptoms have to be noted and the duration, for which they last along with the severity should all be noted. The most obvious symptoms are that of lows and highs in mood and changes in behavior, energy, sleep and thoughts.
- Consulting a doctor or talking to family and friends helps to differentiate the symptoms of bipolar disorder from unipolar disorder.
- Medicines that have mood stabilizers, such as lamotrigine, valproate, lithium, carbamazepine and antipsychotics such as olanzapine, quetiapine should be taken. Psychotherapy is also recommended.