Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Allan Mark PereiraYour feedback matters!
My 3 month old baby always suck her fingers. She is now taking less milk. Instead of dat she sucks her finger. please advice what to do.
No matter how much time you spend researching on how to take care of your newborn, once your child is delivered, the first few weeks will leave you frantic and overwhelmed. However, there are a few tips which new parents must keep in mind.
Handling a newborn:
- Since babies have a weak immune system and are susceptible to infections, it is of paramount importance that anyone who handles your child has clean and sanitized hands.
- You also need to be careful about always supporting and cradling your child's head and neck since the muscles in his or her neck are weak at birth, and babies only develop head control after six months.
- Never shake your newborn baby whether playfully or out of frustration. Shaking the baby can cause bleeding in the brain or in severe cases, death. Tickle your child's feet to wake him or her up.
- Not only is it important to make sure that your baby is fastened securely in the car seat, stroller or carrier, you must also restrain from activities which may be bouncy or rough.
Firstly, you must decide whether you want disposable or cloth diapers for your infant. Babies go through at least ten diapers a day (irrespective of whether they are cloth or disposable). While diapering, you must keep in mind to not leave your baby unattended on the changing tables. So get all the supplies such as clean diaper, diaper ointment (in case of rash), fasteners, diaper wipes and warm water, before changing his or her diaper.
Newborn babies need to be given a sponge bath with warm water and very little soap till the navel and/or the circumcision heals completely. This can take about one to four weeks. After being healed, the baby should be bathed twice or thrice a week since frequent bathing may damage the baby's skin.
Breastfeeding and Burping:
Doctors recommend feeding the baby on demand i.e. whenever your baby is hungry. Crying, putting fingers in the mouth, or making sucking noises convey that the baby is hungry. A newborn baby needs to be fed every couple of hours.
Burping is important so that the air consumed during the feedings can be let out since it makes the baby fussy. Patting or rubbing a baby's back usually helps them to burp or pass gas. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
I am having fever from last three days followed by headache and little cold and cough. Please suggest any medicine for this.
Depression in children is not a very uncommon phenomenon. But if the feeling of sadness persists over a period of time with little or no change to their behavior, then it can be seen as a symptom of depression. Children who are suffering from depression need immediate and utmost care as negligence may cause severe long term effects on the child. Read on to find more about them.
Symptoms that indicate childhood depression vary. Some of the different symptoms which indicate depression are:
- Social withdrawal
- Feeling of worthlessness
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Reduced ability to function during events
- Continuous feelings of sadness
- Physical complaints
- Depression in children can be caused due to the combination of a multitude of reasons.
- Children from a family history of depression are more likely to be suffering from depression.
- Similarly if the parents suffer from depression then it is more than likely that the child will also suffer from depression.
- Children from conflicted families or children and teens who are prone to substance or alcohol abuse can suffer from depression.
- Reasons such as physical health, environment, genetic vulnerability or biochemical disturbance can lead to depression.
The treatment process of depression in children is similar to that of adults and can be treated with psychotherapy and medication. If your child is depressed consult a general physician who after his or her diagnosis may refer you to a psychiatrist. The medical specialist will recommend psychotherapy.
In some instances, a child suffering from depression maybe be suicidal. Parents are advised to be vigilant and observe certain behavioral changes that the child may have adapted to or suddenly switched to.
Some of the signs are mentioned below:
- Changes in eating, sleeping or activities
- Isolating oneself even from family
- Talking of suicide, feeling helpless or hopeless
- Increased risk taking behavior
- Substance abuse
- Giving away possessions
Sessions at first and then opt for antidepressant medication if no significant progress is seen. The best results often result from a combination of prescribed medication along with multiple sessions of psychotherapy.