Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Alka FernandezYour feedback matters!
My son is 3 years old he has a flat head on his right side. Will it get all right in time or he needs a treatment?
My six years old son has been passing stool in clothes in day as well as in night. We have consulted more than doctors but no result. Please tell us the possible cause of this?
Growth hormone or somatropin is responsible for cell growth as well as reproduction. But insufficient somatropin production by the pituitary gland may result in lack in height. It is mostly caused by a serious brain injury, any prevalent medical condition or might occur as a birth defect.
- Congenital GHD - This form of GHD appears from at the time of birth itself.
- Acquired GHD- GHD can be acquired during later life as a result of trauma, infection, tumor growth within the brain or radiation therapy.
- Idiopathic GHD- Idiopathic GHD is the third, and comparatively worst kind of GHD since it has no treatment.
GHD is mostly permanent, but can also be transient. Read on to know how to detect whether you or your child is suffering from growth hormone deficiency (GHD).
- Restricted height- Compared to other children of your child's age, he/she may be of shorter height, which is a rather conclusive sign to detect somatropin deficiency.
- Chubby and comparatively younger appearance- Your child may have a proportionate body, but if he/she is unnaturally chubby and has a baby-face compared to other children, he/she may be suffering from GHD.
- Late puberty- Your child's puberty maybe later than usual or even not appear at all, depending upon the gravity of the GHD.
- Hypoglycemia and exaggerated jaundice- Low blood sugar is amongst the most primary manifestations of GHD, along with extended duration of jaundice.
- Micro-penis- Micro penis condition is one of the incident signs of GHD, which later escalates to growth deficit as the infant gets older.
- Fatigue- Adults with GHD may experience extreme tiredness throughout the day, with reduced muscle strength.
- Osteoporosis- Osteoporosis, along with bodily deformities, is a common sign in adults with GHD.
- Lipid abnormalities- A test of your lipid profile may reveal abnormalities in LDL cholesterol, insulin resistance, and impaired cardiac functions.
Tests to determine GHD:
- Physical test- A chart is drawn to determine the proportion of height and weight with respect to your age to detect anomalies.
- Hand X-ray- A hand X-ray can determine whether the age of bones are at par with your age.
- MRI-MRI scan can determine the health of your brain and pituitary gland.
- Test for other hormones- Growth Hormone may not be solely responsible for your health condition, so it is important to determine if other hormone levels are all normal.
- Hormone supplements- Hormone supplements like corticosteroids (hydrocortisone or prednisone), Levothyroxine (levoxyl, synthroid, etc), and others work to replenish the deficiency of pituitary hormones.
- Growth hormone injection- GH is injected beneath your skin, to cure GDH. This is a long-term treatment and requires constant monitoring.
Sir, my son is 3 years old, male, weight 15 KGS, height 3 ft. Giving him only normal food, and drinks pediasure. Pls doctor suggest some drinks and healthy food for his brain development. Someone said infantgrow A+ is very good for brain development. Pls help.
Meri beti 3 years ki hai aur uska weight sirf 12 kg ha wo kuch bhi nahi khati hai bas thoda sa milk leti hu main kya karu uski kuch aisi medicine bataye jisse wo aur kuch bhi khane lage aur uski bhookh badh jaye.
Using tooth picks
The worst habit you could possibly have when you have food lodgement in the mouth is using a tooth pick to get rid of it. We often try and use this as an acceptable habit even socially but few things are grosser than watching people pick out food bits after meals. If you have a cavity get it fixed. We have numerous cases where the toothpicks have either injured the gums and caused a larger infection or even worse broken in the cavity and triggered of even more pain. So stay safe from dental emergencies do not use tooth picks! while it's important to prevent food lodgement in the mouth and keep your mouth clean use things like brushes interdental brushes and floss sticks or dentists to help you do the same without harming you!
Using a hard or medium brush.
The oldest myth we have seen is brushing your teeth with a hard or medium brush. Please terminate this habit right away ensure you switch to a soft brush at the earliest.
We do not need more teeth ruined or worn off due to overzealous brushing. We see cases with the entire left side worn down and sensitive and I can tell the person is a right handed vigorous brusher. The softer the brush the better it bends and cleans between teeth as well. The gums also recede due to repeated trauma from the hard bristles so save your mouth from these constant attacks in the name of cleaning.
Scrubbing your teeth
The same principle applies when you switch from a hard to soft or extra soft brush don't apply so much pressure that the teeth and gums are still braving the injury.
You need to brush gently as though cleaning glass the force being minimum the reach and coverage being maximum!
So scrubbing is a habit we need to stop.
Not brushing at night
One of the best things we can do to avoid the dentist or any dental troubles is brushing at night. When it comes to cleaning your teeth frequency matters more than force. Ensuring you clean every 12 hours makes bacterial attacks that cause decay inactive so whenever we skip brushing at night we may not realise but it's definitely costing us.
The first sign of dental pain and we instinctively choose to ignore it hoping it will go away and if it doesn't we want to go ahead and pop a painkiller till it does. Masking the problem will actually make it bigger -while we all know this we prefer to accept the instant relief the medication provides over the tedious dental visit that may end with bad news. But imagine if we had gone at the very first sign of trouble most likely we would get away with a dental cleaning -the later we go the more often we need to go for extensive treatments.
Let's try and muster the courage to nip these problems in the bud -a habit to develop show up at the very first sign of trouble.
Do it yourself dentistry (diy) at home
We have all been our own dentists at some point!
From self medication to oral applications and home remedies when all else fails we make an appointment.
A few things are harmful and should be used with care when attempting our own dental care.
We recommend mild things like oral rinses or applications which relieve pain but do not use aspirin or any other pain killer to crush and put in the site, that can cause burns.
Also clove oil is a safe remedy but not cloves which can be sharp and hurt your cheek.
Do not try to remove shaking teeth or attempt any procedures the bleeding can be profuse and the damage severe.
In case of trauma ice to freeze the blows and water to clean the wound will work best.
In the age of technology and information let's not fall prey to easily avoidable dental habits that harm you more than they help you.
Write to us or call us at 9209200024 if you have any queries.
He is 8 years old. As for as features known of dyslexia. Those features he has. Difficulty in writing, does not have the patience in reading, writing, not respects elders. Though his behavior was tolerated by us. He will continue his rude behaviour until we beat him. Is it necessary to get him counselling by a psychiatrist. If at all, please refer one fine psychiatrist in bangalore.
A loss of tooth or teeth is one of the biggest dental problems that someone can face. The irony is that people consider loss of teeth to be very insignificant. But in reality loss of teeth can lead to not only cosmetic problems, but also functional problems and an unstable chewing mechanism.
Loss of teeth can lead to many problems. Some of them are:
- Supra eruption of opposing teeth
- Compromised efficiency of chewing
- Adjacent teeth might drift into the space created by missing teeth
- Food tend to accumulate between teeth, which have moved
- Food accumulation also leads to periodontal disease and caries
- A lopsided chewing pattern as there is loss of equilibrium in the mechanism of chewing
- The extracted area might reveal a loss of bone height
- Problems of the temporomandibular joints, like closed bite and TMJ osteoarthritis
- The existing functional teeth might lead to problems due to overload
- There are increased chances of cheek biting due to collapse of the cheek in the missing space, thus leading to functional and cosmetic problems
- The frequency of tongue biting and ulceration might increase in the area of missing teeth or tooth
When missing teeth are replaced, one can easily restore the healthy look of the teeth and also prevent any other dental problems which are due to the missing teeth.
While replacement of the missing teeth it is of utmost importance that the equilibrium is maintained with the distribution of the forces caused by chewing. Care is also taken that the cosmetic outlook is also maintained in the treatment.
Ideally the teeth when extracted or lost should be immediately replaced. This is because the replacement prevents the bone resorption or bone loss in the area and also retains the good bone. But a drawback is that such an immediate replacement might lead to limitation. Immediate treatment is usually done with the help of implants which easily fit in the sockets created by extraction. But even for this an analysis of the bone and gum health is necessary, thus leading to only a few instances for such replacements. Other alternative is that immediate removable dentures can be prepared and these can be replaced once the gums of the area have healed. The time period for this is usually 3 months. If these need to be fixed permanently then a waiting period of 3 months is mandatory for the settling and healing of the gums and bone of the area.
The 3 basic ways of fixing missing teeth are through implants, fixed bridgework (bridges and crowns) and dentures, which can be removed.
Hello Doctor. Actually my friend's baby is 30 day borned baby. Having a critical health issue which whatever intake of food/water immediately loose motioned. Now admitted and monitoring in intensive neonatal care unit and treatment going on. I just need to make clear what may be the issue. Very confused. Help me doctor.?
Hi doctor. I actually need to travel to china with my baby as my husband is working there. So we have to shift back. My baby gal is 3 months old now and her height and weight are 64cms and 6.4kg respectively. Is my baby fit for air travel? what precautions I need to take while traveling and after reaching there?
What will be the suitable oil for baby massage, my baby is a month old. Some say its Coconut oil, a few suggest Olive oil, others say Sesame seed oil is the best. Please suggest, do we decide it as per weather? If yes, then what oil is best for which weather?
She is just 1 and half month old please, advice me what are care should be taken to keep her healthy. And the vaccination details.
I have a 10 month baby, in this condition which type of medicine should take and what are the side effect after taking that medicine?
Colicky babies frequently draw up their knees up to the stomach and cry out, as if in pain or bend their back in the shape of an arch, clenching wrists hard
Colic cry: Too much irritability, excessive crying which tends to peak towards the evening, painful cry that is difficult to console. They may wake up abruptly and start crying
Always BURP the baby after every feed for 5-10min. Put them on shoulder in such a way that tummy presses on your shoulder, with your help, give a massage in a circular motion on the baby’s back with intermittent pressure and pat from in an upwards fashion
Warm water against belly: Fill a bottle with lukewarm water and wrap it in a towel. Give a gentle massage with it on the belly
Gentle massage: During body massage at the time of bath, apply oil on the tummy, and give a clockwise massage 3 times around the abdomen. Once done, flex the hips and gently press against abdomen, to release any gas accumulated
Make them lie on tummy across your lap and gently apply pressure on their back. (Clockwise movements upwards and then pat upwards)
You could also make the baby lie on their tummy across your tummy, in such a way that the baby’s tummy presses on yours and gently massage on their back
Rocking soothes babies: Hug them close to your chest and your heartbeat. Try gently bouncing up and down in this position while hugging your baby close
Avoid cows milk: Cows milk can be given, once the baby completes 1 year
Offer pacifier or allow baby to suck on her finger by gently putting it in the baby’s mouth
Bottle fed baby has tendency to get colic: Initially dilute the feed and try to increase the amount slowly
Nursing mums should avoid over spicy food, coffee, alcohol etc. Also avoid irregular feed timings. Try to reduce egg and fish in the nursing mother’s diet. Check out your daily food and correlate with baby’s colic. Choose your diet accordingly
Six S’s to be thought off:
2) Shooshing loudly in baby’s ear (similar to sound of running water, working vacuum, etc.)
3) Side laying
4) Stomach across forearm or lap
5) Swinging or rocking baby
6) Sucking Pacifier
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT GIVE ANY PAIN KILLERS OR ANTISPASMODICS to colic babies.
SCOPE OF HOMOEOPATHY
Homoeopathy prescribes on symptoms in each individual case rather than on a general basis
Homoeopathy has excellent remedies for colic babies, which also helps in curing conditions such as assimilation and indigestion
It helps to improve the immature digestive system.
Totally free of side-effects
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT GIVE ANY PAIN KILLERS OR ANTISPASMODICS to colic babies.
For queries feel free to send me private message.