Find numerous Orthopedists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Orthopedists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cervical Traction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Treatment of Lumbar Radiculopathy
Spinal Fusion Surgery
Treatment of Knee replacement
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Hip Resurfacing Surgery
Hip Injury Treatment
Ankle Injury Treatment
Knee Injury Treatment
Hip Pain Treatment
Ankle Pain Treatment
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Joint Mobilization Procedure
Joint Replacement Surgery
Limping Child Treatment
Meniscus Injury Treatment
Pelvic Rehabilitation Techniques
Submit a review for Dr. AjayYour feedback matters!
For a disease that affects almost eighty percent of people over 50 years of age, not much is known about curing joint pains. Allopathic medicine remains almost clueless about a complete cure for joint pains which occur due to various reasons like heredity and lifestyle. It treats the pain with pain killers, inflammation reducers and other such drugs which do not heal the joint completely and lead to other problems too.
Ayurveda and Joint Pain
Ayurveda has its own unique perspective on joint problems. According to it, these occur due to:
- Poorly-nourished joints
- Low bone density and overall weakness in joints
The main symptom of poorly nourished joints is discomfort followed by a crackling sound. In this, the bone making up the joint can degenerate due to lack of proper nutrition. Low bone density joints usually occur due to a toxic overload in the joints called ‘ama’ in Ayurveda. Ama is the sticky, toxic waste product of incomplete digestion and this accumulates in joints making them stiff and heavy. Ama accumulation for long can make a joint swollen and painful. Damp, cold weather can aggravate this type of joint problem. If ‘vata’ the Ayurvedic dosha associated with movements and proper functioning of metabolism and assimilation is aggravated, it can cause joint pain too.
The imbalance in Vyana Vata, a special form of vata associated with bone damage along with weakened circulation, metabolism and absorption creates an imbalance in ‘kapha’ the other major dosha in the body, according to Ayurveda. ‘Shleshaka’ Kapha, the sub-dosha of Kapha that controls lubrication of joints dries up. This makes the un-lubricated joints very vulnerable and one starts getting pain.
The first line of treatment for joint pains is pacifying the Vata dosha through food and lifestyle modifications like:
- Include all six tastes -sweet, sour, salty, bitter, astringent, and pungent- in the diet. However, sweet, sour and salty tastes are very good to pacify Vata dosha.
- Eat less of bitter, astringent and pungent foods.
- Eat more grains like quinoa, rye and amaranth, cooked in ghee.
- Freshly-cooked organic vegetables and warm liquid soups are best.
- Eat a diet rich in calcium- milk, spinach, kale, asparagus, and root vegetables.
- A Vata pacifying daily routine like eating before 8 pm in the night and keeping dinner light and sleeping early are also advised.
If possible get a daily Ayurvedic oil massage ‘abhyanga’ with special medicated oils to prevent joint problems. Regular habits help settle Vata. So, it’s suggested that one goes to bed at the same time each day, gets up at the same time and follows a regular routine for pacifying Vata. Getting stress under control though meditation and pranayama also does wonders.
I am suffering from neck pain from 1 year. I have attended physiotherapy but didn't got any relief. The reason for neck pain is sitting for long durations.
I am 26 year old having back pain last 3 month. I am taking pain killer medicine and pain relief oil. But it can't stop. What can I do now? Help me.
When I wake up in the morning I feel pain in my legs and I am feeding myself properly but still get exhausted and tired whole the day. And I go to sleep many time how can I reduce it please suggest something?
I am 68 years old and is diabetic for the last 20 years In the past I faced a problem in my eyes due to a pressure point which was responsible to damage any eyes. One of my eye used to come out' to rectify this doctors at pgi chandigarh gave me sterorides upto 50 mg. Due to which my sugar varreied from 40 to 400 and blood pressure from 100 to 200. However I to some what by adjusting me insulin dose and bp med. But due to this deveoped neuropathy in my both feats. Now I feel pain in my fingers of both feets and numbness in both feats. I would be thankfull if I get advice to cure this with medicins and not operation.
My leg pains a lot many times due to weakness may be. Please suggest a solution which can be done at home.
I am declared medically unfit for mild cubitus valgus in my NDA medicals. Suggest me exercises to decrease it by a degree or so.
Different foods have different properties. Here are some foods to have and a few you must refrain from if you are suffering from arthritis and inflammatory pain:
Include these foods in your diet.
1) cherries - these contain anthocyanocides which assist in lowering uric acids, thus reducing the level of pain.
2) ginger - eating fresh ginger of drinking ginger root tea is advisable if suffering from arthritis and inflammatory pain. The gingerols present in it include anti-inflammatory compounds which are extremely helpful.
3) pineapple - there exists in pineapples, an element called bromelain which is a very effective anti-inflammatory.
4) raw apple cider vinegar - anti-inflammatory properties of raw apple cider vinegar are also very beneficial. It can be consumed by drinking a tablespoon of the vinegar mixed in about 250ml water or as salad dressing.
5) turmeric - turmeric or as we call it haldi, has anti-oxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
6) omega 3 fatty acids - omega 3 fatty acids also have anthocyanocides. Which lower the levels of uric acids. Eating more of chia seeds, flax seeds and fish is also encouraged.
And the foods to avoid are,
1) sugary foods - sugary foods are like toxins which cause inflammations and lead to more pains in the body. Hence, avoid foods with excessive sugar when suffering from arthritis and inflammatory pain.
2) omega 6 oils - these oils, if consumed in high amounts, cause inflammations. It is advisable to replace these foods with healthier foods.
3) fried foods: deep fried foods are cooked at high temperatures and thus induce inflammation.
4) salt - this happens to some people where excess intake of sodium increases the pain in the joints. Hence, lowering consumption is not a bad idea.