Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. S. H. AdvaniYour feedback matters!
Very Good doctor, very humble & very patient friendly.
Sir my mom is suffering from breast tumor and 2 nd time she got operated. In july 2015. And now she got weakness in whole body. And itching where she was operated. Guide me what to eat to cure her weakness.
If you are concerned about breast cancer, you should know about the steps you can take to prevent the condition. Breast cancer is a type of cancer developing from the breast tissue. Symptoms such as a lump in the breast, fluid flowing from the nipple, changes in the shape of the breast and occurrence of red scaly patches on the breast denote breast cancer.
You need to make certain lifestyle changes in order to prevent breast cancer. The ways you should adopt include the following:
Limit your alcohol intake: The more you consume alcohol, the more you put yourself at the risk of getting breast cancer. It is recommended for you not to drink more than one drink per day. Small amounts of alcohol increase the risk of breast cancer as well.
Abstain from smoking: There is a direct link between tobacco smoking and breast cancer, and the risk is even more in premenopausal women. You should quit smoking to reduce the risk of breast cancer along with many other conditions, which can develop because of the ill-effects of smoking.
Control your weight: Obese women are more prone to breast cancer when compared with women with a healthy weight. This is especially true when obesity occurs at a later stage in life, after menopause.
Keep physically active: Regular physical activity is essential for you to maintain a healthy weight, which is important for preventing breast cancer. 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercises or 75 minutes of vigorous exercises are recommended along with strength training.
Breastfeed: Breastfeeding plays an important role in preventing breast cancer. The more you breastfeed your baby, the more protected you are from breast cancer.
Limit the dosage and duration of hormone therapy: If you undertake combination hormone therapy for more than three to five years, you are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer. In case you are taking hormone therapy for menopausal symptoms, you should talk to your doctor about alternative options such as non-hormonal therapy and medications. If you still require hormonal therapy, you must use the lowest dose that will be effective.
Avoid exposure to radiation and pollution: Certain medical imaging procedures like computerized tomography involves radiation of high doses. There is a link between breast cancer and radiation exposure. Thus, you should abstain from getting exposed to radiation and avoid taking such tests if it is not very urgent.
Maintaining a healthy diet also helps in reducing your risk of developing breast cancer. You should include food items which are plant based in your regular diet, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains and legumes. Also, consume healthy fats such as olive oil instead of red meat and butter. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an oncologist.
Hi doctor, I am 32 years old and trying to conceive from last 5 months. I have controlled hypothyroidism and survivor of breast cancer too. I had miscarriages before detecting breast cancer. Later I was on tamoxifen for five years. Now doctors allowed me to conceive but I am unable to conceive. My all reports are normal. Pls suggest me so that I can conceive fast.
I had chronic duodenal ulcer which bleed and caused anemia now treated for anemia by blood transfusion and now my blood count being 12.5 and also the ulcer is now gone im at risk of cancer?
Skin cancer most often develops on skin that has faced sun exposure. At the same time, it can also affect skin areas that haven't been exposed to sun's rays. Do you know, skin cancer can be prevented by consuming some foods? Yes, and there are some out there:
1. Fatty fish - Including fatty fish in your diet can shield you against melanoma as they contain the beneficial nutrient Omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, these kinds of fatty acids are considered to be best for consumption as unlike saturated fats, they don't increase your risk for certain types of cancer. A study in the International Journal of Epidemiology reveals that individuals who consume a diet containing fish that is high in these healthy fats have low rates of this form of cancer.
2. Vegetables - This is another food option that is known to possess strong skin cancer-fighting properties. Dark leafy veggies like spinach, kale and broccoli can aid fighting against melanoma. A pigment found in tomatoes called lycopene has properties that guard you against cardiovascular diseases as well as cancers of all kinds. Similarly, the pigment carotenoids found in vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, etc are known to protect against sunburn.
3. Herbs - Including herbs in your diet can help in replenishing the minerals and vitamins that get depleted due to the action of the sun. According to experts, about 80% of your body's vitamin levels see a reduction when you stay under the sun for 30-45 minutes. Basil, parsley, and rosemary are a few of the herbs that possess cancer-fighting qualities.
4. Flaxseeds - The unique qualities of flaxseed make it the best option against skin cancer. It contains both antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids, making it an all-around solution to fighting skin cancer.
Lung cancer is caused by disorderly growth of uncommon cells which line the air passage, usually starting off in a single or both lungs. The irregular cells do not mature into healthy lung tissue but instead divide speedily and result in tumor formation.
Causes behind lung cancer:
- Smoking: This is considered as the most significant source of lung cancer. As reported by multiple researches and studies, cigarettes contain over 4,000 chemicals, most of which are cancer causing agents. Active smoking is one of the major causes of lung cancer but what may come to you as a surprise is that extended periods of passive smoking is also a major factor.
- Pollution and Exposure: There is high risk of lung cancer development when there is occupational exposure to pollution by chemicals released from industrial factories. Chemical exposure of this kind refers to prolonged exposure over quite few months or years. Some examples of these chemicals are asbestos, diesel exhaust among many others.
- Radioactive Gas: Radioactive gases naturally occur in small masses present in all soils and rocks. However, if you breathe in radioactive gases your lungs will damage and may cause the development of abnormal tissue which can cause lung cancer.
- Family history: A family history of cancer, especially lung cancer will also put you at high risk of developing lung cancer.
Treatment methods of lung cancer:
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is a method in which drugs are injected through veins in your arm (intravenously) or orally or in a combination of both. These drugs kill cancer cells and help to stop it from spreading any further as well.
- Clinical Trials: These trials are experimental lung cancer treatment studies. You may have to try out this clinical therapy if other treatment methods aren’t working and only if you are accepted into it.
- Surgery: A surgeon will help remove affected areas of the lung including cancerous tumors via surgery. The surgeon may need to remove parts of the lung along with the cancerous growth. In certain cases, one side of the lung may also be completely removed to stop the spread of the malignant tissue.
- Radiation Therapy: This is a therapy where high energy electromagnetic waves are passed through your body to destroy cancer cells with the help of high-powered energy beams.
Can you prevent lung cancer?
- Nutrition -- A healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables may also help reduce your risk of lung cancer. Some evidence suggests that a diet high in fruits and vegetables may help protect against lung cancer in both smokers and non-smokers. But any positive effect of fruits and vegetables on lung cancer risk would be much less than the increased risk from smoking.
- Exercise -- Even moderate amounts of exercise can aid in lung cancer prevention. Studies suggest that even something as simple as gardening twice a week is associated with a lower risk of developing lung cancer.
- Smoking Habits -- If you stop smoking before a cancer develops, your damaged lung tissue gradually starts to repair itself. No matter what your age or how long you’ve smoked, quitting may lower your risk of lung cancer and help you live longer.
- Avoidance of Air Pollution -- Long-term exposure to ambient air pollution and, in particular, particulate matter with absorbed polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and other genotoxic chemicals has been suspected to increase the risk for lung cancer. So, avoid air pollution as much as possible.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!