Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Aditi PophaleYour feedback matters!
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis is an infection that occurs in and around the female genitalia. It does not usually pose a major health threat and is a mild infection that can be controlled and cured with timely medical intervention. Although it is believed to be sexually transmitted, it can also affect women who are not sexually active.
Bacterial Vaginosis can however, be dangerous for women who are pregnant and are near to their delivery date. It can cause severe uterine infection and increases the chance of miscarriage.
In some cases, pelvic surgeries, which include caesarean, hysterectomy, abortion or other abdominal surgery, bacterial vaginosis can be contracted during the surgical procedure. This can further complicate the condition of the patient.
Bacterial Vaginosis is a common complaint among women who have physically reached the child bearing age and symptoms of this physical problem can become prominent at any time of the menstrual cycle.
Causes of Bacterial Vaginosis
Dirty, unwashed underwear
Multiple sexual partners
Change in the vaginal pH, causing the reduction in the protective acidic secretion that prevents the growth of other harmful bacteria
It can also arise from the placement of Intrauterine device (IUD), a contraceptive device placed to prevent the eggs released by the ovaries, from reaching the uterus.
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis
The most common sign of bacterial vaginosis is a foul smelling vaginal discharge.
The discharge increases after sexual activities.
Discomfort during urination
In some rare cases, there is itching and dryness
In most cases, bacterial vaginosis does not reveal too many symptoms and does not even cause intense irritation.
Bacterial Vaginosis can be treated with antibiotics that are generally to be continued for a course of 7 days.
Symptoms and discomfort of bacterial vaginosis generally recede within 2-3 days. However, it is recommended that the medicine should not be stopped even after the symptoms disappear.
- Only in rare cases, certain antibiotics may lead to a vaginal yeast infection. In case of redness, inflammation, irritation and undesirable discharge, you must seek medical attention immediately.
I get irregular periods. After marriage. Its been two years of marriage. Kindly suggest me what should I do also is there any connection of irregular periods with our sexual life. What are the effects of irregular periods
I am 43 years old female since 2 years I am facing bleeding piles and fissures on and off. I have been taking homeopathic medicines for the same since then and now I am facing irregular mensturation. For the past 3 months I have not got my periods and during feb. Twice I had my periods. I am not sure whether it is due to my homeo medicine. Now I have stopped taking the same. Some times even though bleeding is not there I find slight pain after defecation while sitting in the office. Not only that I slightly rub the area (anus) while defecating so that it is cleared soon without blocking. Please help.
Pregnancy of 6 months old patient is suffering from abdominal pain from last 10 days and nausea vomiting today. Is hyocimax plus is safe or any other medication.
I have a wide vagina, can insert 3 fingers horizontally and it is difficult to feel my partner during penetration, I would like to know that with the given condition if someone fingers me or assaults me while I am asleep, will I get to know?
I am 32 yrs old and my periods are coming twice every month. I had gone through a medical abortion in jan. I want to get pregnant soon. What should I do to regulate my periods.
I had sex on 5th Aug. And ee used protection at that time. My period date is 12th Aug. And still my periods not coming today is18th aug. Is there is any chance of pregnancy?
I have regular period. But I am not getting pregnant. Some people told because of food which I having in office can note is it true. Please suggest me hw to conceive at the earliest.
Vaginismus is a condition where vaginal contractions and squeezes may be caused due to pain during intercourse or due to the insertion of objects like tampons. This mildly uncomfortable condition is also characterised by spams and other symptoms like the feeling of coming up against a thick wall which can cause pain. This may be due to a variety of reasons starting from infections to anxiety. To a large extent, the treatment of this condition depends on the cause. Following are the various ways in which this condition can be treated.
- Sex Therapy: A sexologist or an expert who specialises in psychosexual medicine can help in treating this condition by conducting a series of counselling sessions where psychoanalysis will help in understanding and unravelling the cause of the condition. This may be followed by CBT or cognitive behavioural therapy. This kind of therapy usually helps in reprogramming the brain after the root cause for the condition is known.
- Exercises: During sex therapy, the doctor may also teach you various kinds of exercises and vaginal trainers that can help you in strengthening the pelvic floor and relaxing the muscles as well. These vaginal trainers are especially helpful in equipping you suitably so that you can relax your vagina and let the insertion happen. Vaginal trainers consist of four smooth balls of plastic which can be inserted with the help of lubricants to help in stretching the vagina.
- Relaxation: Getting yourself to relax is also a matter of exploration and touching, which can help you understand the kind of touch and the exact areas that make you tense. During sex therapy, you may be taught a technique known as progressive relaxation. This mode includes tensing and relaxing your muscles as you explore by inserting a finger.
- Sensate Focus: This is a part of sex therapy and involves your partner. In this method, you will be asked to abstain from sex and touch each other without going to the genitals and other private parts. This will help in better arousal and sexual stimulation.
- Surgery: The last option for treating a very severe form of this condition is to put the patient through surgery which will seek to remove endometriosis, as these growths in the womb's lining can cause a lot of pain during intercourse. Also, vaginal enlargement surgery can be carried out with the help of episiotomy.
This kind of procedure usually helps in fixing the scar tissue that may have been left from a previous procedure, which can restrict or block the vaginal path. Getting help at the right time for this condition is of great importance so as to have a normal sex life.