Find numerous Psychiatrists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Critical Care Procedures
Treatment Of Learning Disorders
Management of Emergency Conditions
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Manual Therapy Treatment
Memory Improvement Techniques
Submit a review for Dr. Abia NayakYour feedback matters!
How to improve concentration on anything I am not able to concentrate on any thing what to do I am feeling so lazy.
I generally get nightmares of being raped or chased either by a man or by animals. I have a dysfunctional family set up. Sometimes things just appear so confusing like I seriously do not know what I want to do in life. I just do not feel right even if everything just seems perfect yet I feel empty as if something is missing.
I m 37 weeks 4 days pregnant. And I m suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder regarding hygiene due to which I keep on taking baths even with cold water. I am scared I may damage my pregnancy. Pls help me I m severely obessed.
OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder is a mental condition, which traps people in a cycle of repetitive thoughts that push them to do repetitive behaviors. As the name states, the obsession over certain things compels them to do it over and over again. These actions will only help you feel relieved for a short time and soon the cycle starts back again.
Symptoms of OCD:
The symptoms of OCD are classified into two groups, one for the obsessive behavior and the other for compulsive behavior. Some of the common symptoms for these are mentioned below:
As the name states this means obsessing over certain things, which varies from person to person. Some of the things could be:
- Being scared about making mistakes
- The fear of being embarrassed in public situations
- Constantly being scared about contamination by germs, microbes or dirt
- Doubts about sure and simple situations and the need to be constantly reassured about them
The obsessions usually results in compulsive behaviors, which you may need to perform to reassure and relieve yourself of the anxiety temporarily. Some of these may include:
- Trying to constantly arrange things in a certain way and still not being satisfied
- Thoughts, words and images being stuck in your head throughout the day that may keep you disturbed and cause to lose sleep
- You may even repeat specific words or actions multiple times as a measure of self reassurance.
- Hoarding of items, which have no value
Causes of OCD:
Biological factors: Certain chemical imbalances in the brain may lead to OCD, which may happen due to hormonal or biological changes. In fact certain infections are also known to trigger OCD in people.
Environmental factors: Certain types of mental trauma have been known to trigger OCD as well, such as
- Office, school, college or other work related stresses over a long period of time
- The passing away of a near and dear one
- Relationship problems
- Repressed abuses from earlier in life
Most treatments of OCD are categorized into two types:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: This is a counseling based therapy where you may be slowly asked to face your fears and overcome them over a period of time.
- Medications: Antidepressants, inhibitors, or antipsychotic drugs or relaxants in various combinations may be used to treat OCD.
- Electroconvulsive therapy: Only in the rarest of cases would doctors consider electroconvulsive therapy, if the patient is a danger to themselves or others around them.