Doctors in MPCT Hospital
Nuclear Medicine Physician
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Mahesh Ghogare provides answers that are very helpful, knowledgeable, thorough, well-reasoned and caring. testing text
This was the first visit. It was nice. Some test has been given by the doctor. Will visit with reports.
Dr Jyoti Chhallani
i visited for mother's cataract problem.very satisfied with treatment
Very professional and a good chest physician.best doctor
Am I fat ? Am i underweight..? What's normal weight ?
These are a few questions that always keep crossing our mind and for a few it causes lot of stress. There is an easy way to measure your body fat sitting at home by simply following two simple steps that will help you find out if you are underweight, or in normal limits- or overweight.
For an example if your height is 5ft- 4" ( 164 cm) and weight is 58 kgs.
BMI = 58/ 1.64x 1.64= 21.5kg/m2
Normal BMI range is used globally is varied from the one used for Indians. According to WHO:
Less than 18.5 - Under weight
18.5-24.9 - Normal
25.0- 29.9- Overweight
30.0 and above- Obese
The following are common definitions of BMI thresholds (used for Indians):.
BMI limit for Indians is:
Less than 18.4 - Underweight,
18.5 - 22.9 - Normal
23 - 24.9 - Overweight
More than 25 - Obese
Another measure used to analyze your body fat is known as waist circumference.
Here by using a measuring tape you need to measure you waist circumference right in the center.
Waist circumference is 90 cm for Indian men and 80 cm for Indian women.
Waist- to- Hip Ratio:
Another simplest measure used to calculate fatness of the body is known as waist- to- hip ratio, a relationship between waist circumference and hip circumference. This can be easily done at home. Once you have known you waist circumference, find out your hip circumference. Divide your waist circumference by hip circumference; this would give you waist- to- hip- ratio.
Normal range for women- waist to hip ratio is 0.8 or less, if higher than 1.0 - it indicates you are overweight. Similarly for men if ratio is 0.9 or less then it is considered as safe, if higher than 1.0 it indicates you are overweight.
So know your weight and take best measures to keep it in limits.
If you have a higher BMI, waist circumference or a waist- to- hip ratio, it is best that you consult a nutrition expert to understand your dietary habits and recommend a suitable diet plan as per your needs.
Obesity is rapidly evolving as a public health issue for our country, and as educated people we are responsible in contributing to the ever increasing problem. So, what is there that leads to weight gain despite our all effort? The simplest answer is ignorance!
Most of the people who are trying hard to curb on weight gain do not succeed in doing so due to inadequate and poor gathered information. Remaining hungry is not the solution for weight loss and we need to inculcate good habits in ourselves smartly to sustain it for a long time, else you will lose kilos in few months and regain much more than that in lesser time. This cycle would continue until we understand the basics of healthy eating.
So, the important aspect is to make consistent and slow changes in our lifestyle to sustain ideal weight.
- Fizzy drinks: Most of fizzy drinks are full of calories and they go down easy below the throat. But before we realize, we fill our system with loads of calories. Try to restrict on your soft drinks and prefer other beverages like lemon juice and coconut water, both of which can be refreshing with minimal calories.
- Eating while watching TV: This is something which is a very prominent cause of gaining fat. Usually, while on screen we tend to forget how much we have taken in and most of the time we realize this when a packet full of chips becomes empty!
- Lack of sleep: It has been shown that due to lack of sleep our hormone cycle gets disturbed and the cortisol levels change, leading to weight gain. Secondly, if we remain awake for long hours, we tend to eat more, there by gaining extra calories.
- Shopping when hungry: Research has shown that when we buy our grocery when we are hungry, you tend to buy things which are easy to grab and are high in calorie dense. Hence, always have a healthy food before you go for shopping.
- Desserts: Eating something after main course often leads to high calorie food intake like ice cream and sweets. So, instead of these, try to take simple deserts like lemon water, or something non-caloric. Best is to avoid them completely.
- Time of meal: Most of the time we try to postpone or skip our meal, which ultimatelyleads to severe hunger, making us eat whatever we can grab immediately. Most of the time this is high caloric fast food. Always plan your meals and carry healthy food items with you like fruits and sandwiches.
- Fat free/sugar free food: Fat free or sugar free foods are not calorie free food items. We should always look for the portion size and amount of calorie we are going to have.
- Lack of exercise: Not taking time out for your regular exercise makes you gain weight and also makes you lazy.
- Going out to eat: Frequent outings lead to increase in the consumption of food high in calorie, sugar and salt, leading to weight gain. Restrict your outings to not more than once or twice a month.
- Dehydration: Drink lots of water, so that you keep on flushing out harmful toxins.
So, to avoid being obese, eat healthy and exercise regularly!
1) what is a hair transplant?
Hair transplant is a surgical procedure which covers the bald areas of the scalp by patient’s own hair. In this surgery, hair follicles are taken out from the back of the scalp, or beard and planted in the bald areas of the scalp. Slowly, these roots sprout new and naturally growing hair. It is a minimally invasive day care procedure but need to be done in sterile set up.
2) does a hair transplant hurt during or after the procedure?
Hair transplant is done under local anaesthesia. Needle prick pain gives very mild discomfort. Patient is allowed to take breaks in between the procedure and analgesic injections are given to reduce overall pain.
3) does hair transplant leave scar?
It leaves a minor scar and, if the surgery is done properly, that is not visible to the naked eye. The procedure is safe and result-oriented under experienced hands with good technology/infrastructure.
4) what is fue hair transplant treatment? is it permanent?
Fue is the most popular hair transplant technique. It stands for follicular unit extraction. Individual unit is harvested from back of scalp and implanted in frontal bald area. Patient has to apply topical minoxidil for longer period. Results are long lasting depending upon the compliance of patient.
5) how many sessions are required for a hair transplant procedure?
Usually one or two sessions are required to cover bald area. A typical session of approximately 2000 hair covers frontal and temporal area. Second session can be done according to need such as thicker density or vertex baldness.
6) does a hair transplant have any side effects?
It is a fairly safe procedure. Minor complications like swelling arround eyes and mild pain might be there in the first week.
7) for how many days does one need to be away from work? is it safe to go outside immediately after the treatment?
Patient goes home on the day of procedure. It is mandatory that patient stay away from work for at least two days, as the wounds are fresh and head has to be covered by a surgical cap. After three days, a normal cap might be used and the person could resume office. Work from home is possible from the next day itself. It is best to stay indoors for two days after the transplant
8) does medical treatment play any role?
Topical minoxidil once a day helps in maintaining hair growth and preventing further hair fall. Tab finasteride 1 mg does not cause any side effect. Both drugs can be used for longer time without any side effects.