Doctor in Lung Care Clinic
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Management Program
Management of Smoking Cessation
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Submit a review for Lung Care ClinicYour feedback matters!
STAY AWAY FROM SMOKE.
How to minimize asthma triggers
Air out damp, humid areas frequently. Run a dehumidifier to keep humidity between 25% and 50%.
Use air conditioners when possible.
Clean bathrooms regularly, using products that kill and prevent mold.
Use exhaust fans to vent steam.
Keep indoor plants out of bedrooms.
When painting, add mold inhibitor to paint to prevent mold from growing.
Avoid sources of outdoor molds, such as wet leaves or garden debris.
To clean visible mold, use a cleaning solution containing bleach and detergent.
Limit your outdoor activities during times of high pollen, such as early morning.
Stay indoors during humid or windy days when pollen counts are high.
Keep windows closed during pollen seasons.
Encase pillows and mattresses with allergen-proof, zippered covers.
Pillows and bedding should not contain feathers.
Wash all bedding in hot water, once a week.
Non-carpeted flooring is best. If you cannot get rid of your carpeting, vacuum often with a multi-layer, allergen-proof vacuum bag. Wear a mask while vacuuming. If your child has asthma, do not vacuum while he or she is in the room.
Avoid curtains and drapes. Use plain window shades instead of miniblinds. Washable curtains should be washed in hot water every 2 to 4 weeks.
Dust all surfaces with a damp cloth often, including lampshades and windowsills.
Keep clutter under control. Toys and books should be stored in enclosed bookshelves, drawers or closets.
Replace traditional stuffed animals with washable stuffed animals.
Keep all clothing in drawers and closets. Keep drawers and closets closed.
Cover air ducts with filters. Change these when soiled.
Regularly change filters of heaters and air conditioners.
Long visits to friends and family who own pets should be avoided. If you do visit, make sure you take asthma or allergy medicines before the visit. Exposure to the pets should be kept to a minimum when visiting.
If you must have a cat or dog in the home, restrict its living area. It should not be allowed in your bedroom at any time. If possible, keep the pet outside.
Wash your pet weekly.
Remove as much carpeting as possible. Animal dander deposits in the carpet and stays there, even after the pet has gone from the home.
Most of the young people’s lungs get abused early on and age faster due to smoking and pollution they breathe in, at times indirectly through passive smoking. It is important for us to keep our lungs healthy and young because our breathing depends on it.
Adopt following practices to consciously take care of your lungs.
1. Buy houseplants: Plants release oxygen which our lungs thrive on. Staying amidst greenery is the best thing you can do. If you are a city-dweller and do not have many trees around you, plant a few in your own balcony or garden.
2 Avoid jogging or cycling in traffic: Avoid staying anywhere near traffic heavy areas. If you plan to go jogging or cycling, prefer parks. If there are no parks or tracks near your home or work, opt for bylanes as there is lesser pollution.
3. Avoid main roads: Unless you are inside a car where pollution cannot reach you, take the bylanes and avoid main roads. This will save you from breathing in a lot of smog and dust emitted, keeping your lungs healthier.
4. Don't smoke: This doesn't really need to be told. Smoking is injurious to your health and damages your lungs. Being an active smoker or a passive smoker, both are harmful for you.
5. Go out in rain washed weather: The air is clear when it is raining. The dust has settled and the breeze has started blowing. If possible, walk in this time. Make sure you are covered.
6. Cover your nose if around fumes: If you work around fumes and smoke or if you live near factories etc, make sure you cover your nose and take adequate care to avoid inhaling the impure air.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.