Doctor in Dr. Ajay Muchhala's Dental Clinic
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Ajay Muchhala's Dental ClinicYour feedback matters!
When you travel in an airplane or just come out of the swimming pool, your ears may sometimes block up and even be painful. This is what is known ear barotrauma and is caused by pressure differences inside and outside the ear drum. Severe cases may cause damage to the ear and impede your hearing.
Symptoms of ear barotrauma: Ear barotrauma usually occurs when the Eustachian tube is blocked due to differences in air pressure. The Eustachian tube is a long narrow tube that runs from the middle of your ear to the pharynx or the back of the throat and is thus very important in relevance to the ear, nose and throat. Thus ear barotrauma can also translate to pain in the ear and throat as well.
Some of the symptoms are:
- Discomfort in the ear, or aggravated pain in extreme cases
- The ears being blocked or full, in severe cases may feel like being underwater
- Temporary hearing loss
- Nose bleeding in severe cases
- Health care providers may see an inward caving or outward bulging in the ear drum. In severe cases, the eardrum may look bruised as well.
- Some severe cases may even exhibit signs typical of an ear infection along with some of the other symptoms mentioned above.
Precautions and self treatment: There are certain steps you can take to either prevent barotrauma or reduce the symptoms, these are:
yawning or gulping. This is very helpful when air pressure differences are caused in cases of travelling by aircraft.
- Inhale slowly and then exhale while your mouth is closed and you are holding your nostrils closed by fingers. This will help increase the pressure within the tube to try and open it forcefully.
- Sucking on candy is another way to prevent barotraumas as you are constantly swallowing and keeping your Eustachian tube from being blocked in the first place.
- Keep a few chewing gums handy and has similar effects on your ears as it forces the Eustachian tube to remain open despite pressure differences.
- After diving or swimming, come out of the water slowly. Scuba divers and deep swimmers need to come up slowly to ensure that the Eustachian tube is given enough time to acclimatize and slowly come back to normal.
Usually, ear barotrauma goes away automatically after sometime and no medications are required. However, if symptoms still persist, it is best to go to a relevant doctor or a health care provider for pain relief and long term solutions.
Low levels of testosterone can end up affecting various aspects of a your life. It can affect your libido, your performance in bed along with your motivation and energy. Testosterone replacement therapy can bring the levels back to what they were before and restore his lost confidence, energy and vigour.
Testosterone is a hormone which is mainly produced in the testicles. Testosterone controls bone density, distribution of fat, muscle mass and strength, body and facial hair, red blood cell production, sex drive and production of sperms.
Testosterone levels generally lower with age, especially after 30. Usually, in older men, low levels of testosterone result in androgen deficiency. Androgen deficiency affects the muscle mass, bone density, weight and can drastically change sleep patterns as well. On the other hand, testicle injury, testicular cancer or treatment for it, hormonal disorders, infections, HIV/AIDS, chronic kidney or liver disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity can lead to low testosterone levels as well.
While testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) seems very desirable, there are certain risks and benefits which need to be considered.
1. Sleep apnea is one of the risk factors of TRT. In this condition, breathing stops and starts repeatedly when you sleep.
2. Acne problems and other skin disorders
3. Swollen breasts. Men with breast cancer should not opt for this treatment.
4. TRT can trigger noncancerous prostate growth.
5. Sperm production is limited or the testicles might shrink
6. Chances of deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in veins) leading to pulmonary embolism (clots burst and lodge into your lungs) are increased.
Benefits of getting a testosterone therapy done
1. Sexual drive, performance and function are improved.
2. Mineral density of the bones gets restored
3. Healthy weight loss, thus improving your body composition
4. Muscle strength and mass improves
5. Mood and energy gets a boost
6. Cognitive functions improve
7. Lessens the risks of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases
8. Improves metabolism
9. Reduces chances of anaemia or improves the condition if you are already suffering from it
A problem in the nervous system which causes individuals to make sudden sounds or movements called tic is Tourette’s syndrome. These movements cannot be controlled by the patient. This syndrome usually starts in childhood and often stays in milder form for many even after they have reached adulthood. Many people can live without taking any kind of treatment for these tics, unless it really bothers them. Patients are often observed to start coughing or blinking their eyes uncontrollably when affected by this syndrome. They may be associated with obsessive compulsive disorder.
Symptoms of Tourette’s syndrome
Tourette’s syndrome often affects children but get better as they grow up. The symptoms of this syndrome are usually so mild that often they go unnoticed. Some of the common symptoms which are observed in patients are stress, excitement and getting tired and sick which can make the problem worse. The motor tics can make the patient blink continuously, twitch their mouth, shrug their shoulder or jerk their head and arm continuously. The symptoms of vocal tics often include yelping and barking, coughing, grunting or repeating something someone else has said, continuously. Shouting, swearing, and sniffing are also some of the vocal tics which may be caused by the Tourette’s syndrome.
What Causes the Problem?
This syndrome usually affects certain parts of the brain like the basal ganglia which control every other movement of the body. A trouble in the brain network is often suggested as the reason behind Tourette’s syndrome. A definite answer to why the problem occurs has not been established by experts yet, however, genes are believed to play a vital role in causing Tourette’s syndrome. People who have family members suffering from this problem are often at risk of being affected by the syndrome. However, the symptoms may vary from one person to another.
Treatment for Tourette’s syndrome
If you suspect your child of having Tourette’s syndrome, then a neurologist should be seen immediately. No special tests are held for the condition; however, imaging tests of your brain may be carried out by your doctor. CT scan and MRI are often suggested. Doctors may often recommend medications like Haloperidol, fluphenazine and pimozide among others to control these tics. However, very often the tics are very mild and do not need any medication at all.
A talk therapy along with ongoing medications might also be required for some patients as the psychologist may help your child in dealing with social issues which can be caused by these uncontrollable tics. Along with that, behavior therapy may also come in use for many.
Diabetes is an abnormal condition where the sugar-level in humans are higher than usual. Ayurveda can be used efficiently in treating this condition. It is diagnosed as Madhumeha in Ayurveda. Intake of oily, spicy food that are heavy on the digestion often lead to this problem.
Along with drugs and medications, Ayurveda stresses on the importance of a balanced diet and exercise. The management modules that can be categorized are:
- Vyaayam (Exercise)
- Panchakarma (Procedures for Bio-purification)
- Pathya (Regulation in diet)
- The use of therapy (Medications)
The individual’s constitution highly affects the ayurvedic treatment of prameha. Some of them are:
- Dietary habits
- Hereditary factor
Management of diabetes can be done using a variety of herbs. Some of them are:
- Eugenia jambolana (Jamun beej churna)
- Pterocarpus marsupium (Vijaysar churna)
- Ficus bengalensis (Nyagrodha twaka churna – banyan tree bark)
- Momordica chirantia Karvellaka (Karella – Bitter Gourd)
- Kirat tikata (Chirayata)
- Emblica officinalis (Amla)
In ayurveda too, its been told to be difficult to cure to incurable. It is told to be a manageable disorder.
Management Module -
It is possible that certain patients are unable to respond to insulin or hypoglemic medicines. In this case, an ayurvedic physician may prescribe some ayurvedic drugs such as:
- Dhatri Nisha
- Chandraprabha vati
- Vasant kusumakar rasa
Diabetes is not just a lack of insulin. It is the most probable cause is plain poor maintenance of your body. Its cure will need to include all of these things discussed. By doing all, diet, herbs, exercise and stress management, you can certainly take care of your Diabetes.
The benefits of Ayurvedic therapy taken at the earliest is that they avoid or atleast delay the onset of neuropathy, nephropathy, retinopathy and other diabetes relates complications due to prolonged presence of diabetes.
Myelopathy refers to any neurological deficit in the spinal cord. The three most common types of myelopathy are cervical myelopathy, lumbar myelopathy and thoracic myelopathy.
Here are the causes and symptoms of myelopathy.
This is a very common cause of myelopathy. Any type of accident or even a traumatic event can cause myelopathy and perhaps even paralysis.
2. Spinal stenosis
This is a condition in which the spinal cord narrows. It is one of the leading causes of myelopathy.
3. Degenerative disc disorders
As you get older, these get more likely as well as other conditions which affect the spinal column such as osteoporosis.
It is a little known fact that tumors very often do cause myelopathy.
5. Multiple sclerosis
There are many other diseases which may cause myelopathy and multiple sclerosis is one of them.
There are many indications that you are having a form of myelopathy and should consult a medical expert. Here are some of them.
1. Changes in coordination
What this means is that all of a sudden you may find it harder to move certain limbs the way you want to. Sometimes, this can affect the whole body.
2. Sudden muscle weakness
It is highly likely that if you have myelopathy then you will have sudden weakness in your muscles.
3. Decreased hand-eye coordination
This is perhaps the biggest indicator of myelopathy since hand eye coordination is directly linked to your spinal cord and brain and if they are not functioning properly then hand-eye coordination will be worse.
These are just some of the symptoms of myelopathy, however the doctor cannot diagnose myelopathy until he does certain tests. These tests include MRI scans and other tests as well as a regular physical check-up in addition to a look at your medical history.
Loss or impairment of hearing can happen due to a variety of causes and may be temporary or permanent in nature, depending on the type and severity of the condition. One of the most common causes of hearing impairment is age. The degeneration of one's vital organs and senses becomes a reality for many people as the advancement of age happens, and the delicate insides of the ears are no different. Noise pollution, injury to the ear drum or any other part of the ear, as well as the movement of particles inside are only a few of the many reasons for loss of hearing. One of the many ways of dealing with long term hearing impairment is by using a hearing aid.
Read on to know how you can regain your hearing with hearing aids:
- Long Forgotten Sound: A hearing aid will help you reacquaint yourself with long forgotten and subtle sounds that you may not have been able to hear for a long time. Many times, this kind of impairment also makes us forget to notice the fact that we do not hear so many normal sounds in our everyday lives - sounds that we probably did not notice even earlier. This may include the whirring of a fan, the whoosh of the air, the pitter patter of pets' feet and so much more. A hearing aid will help in bringing about an adjustment to these sounds that you will actually end up discovering again.
- Technicalities: The hearing aid basically works by letting your hearing and ears readjust to the various volumes, intensity and vibrations that one feels when different sounds reach the ears. This helps in hearing better.
- Amplification: A hearing aid is basically an electroacoustic device that fits in neatly behind your ear where it is tucked away from plain sight. This device helps in amplifying sounds so that you can catch them and hear them more clearly.
- Modulation: The Audiologist, who are specalized in hearing assessment and diagnosis, will prescribe the type and detail of hearing aid based on your individual condition in terms of volume, size, power and circulation. These factors help in modulating the sounds in a certain way so that they reach the nerve pathways from the inner ear and travel to the brain in a proper and effective way. This is usually done in a customised way to cater to the specific type and cause of your hearing loss.
Using a hearing aid is a matter of retraining your hearing rather than restoring it completely. These aids will be helpful in regaining a better sense of hearing within the condition you are going through, rather than reversing the condition completely.
BPPV or Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is a major cause of vertigo. This is a condition that gives a sensation of head spin all of a sudden. It also results in dizziness in brief episodes. The severity level can vary from intense to mild. BPPV is triggered with certain changes of the head position. Although BPPV is bothersome, it isn’t serious unless there is a chance of a person falling abruptly because of the head spin. There are ample treatment options available to address this problem.
When to seek medical attention?
If dizziness is accompanied with one of the below-mentioned symptoms, it is time to urgently seek medical attention and get vertigo addressed for good:
- Hear loss
- Tingling or numbness
- Fever accompanies with severe headache
- Arm or leg weakness
- Problems with vision
- Difficulty in walking
- Becoming unconscious
Causes of BPPV:
If there is on known cause associated with BPPV, the condition is termed as idiopathic BPPV. In most of the cases, though, BPPV is associated with a severe to minor blow to the head. Other causes include an injury to the inner ear, prolonged sitting position in a fixed posture, even migraine pain is at times associated with BPPV.
What are the risk factors?
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is likely to occur in the age group of 50 and above, this being said it can happen at any age in case of any injuries. Statistically, it is found that the likelihood of BPPV is more in women than men. Head injury of any sort is by far the most likely reason of BPPV.
What are the tests and diagnosis involved?
A doctor is likely to perform a physical examination followed by a series of tests. Some typical signs that a doctor looks for include the following:
Ability to control eye movement- especially side to side movement
Symptoms of dizziness
In case it is difficult to spot the symptoms, a doctor might suggest video- nystagmography or electronystagmography. It helps to track irregular eye movement. An MRI can also be prescribed to study the cross-sectional images of the body and the head.
Treatments associated with BPPV:
BPPV mostly go away within months or weeks on its own. If however, it still persists, a doctor can suggest Canalith Repositioning- series of small movements that helps to counter BPPV. For extreme cases, a doctor might advise a surgery for blocking the portion of the inner ear that might be causing the problem. It guarantees close to a 100 percent fix to BPPV.
Ayurveda provides safe, holistic and dependable treatments for most ailments that are common in the 21st century, like stress, bad posture, and the pain it brings with it. Several types of pain are common among working millenials, especially pain in the neck, head, back region, eyes, along the spinal cord, and in the region of the waist. The most reliable Ayurveda treatment for healing all of these is Agnikarma. Agnikarma involves the application of heat on the affected area, enough to cause therapeutic burns, but not enough to scald the skin or cause discomfort. The burns are made on the part most affected by the pain, for maximum impact.
When is Agnikarma most effective?
Agnikarma is most effective when removing pain caused by the following:
- Sore ankles.
- Sore knees.
- Sport injuries.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Achilles tendon.
- Degenerative joint disorder.
- Frozen elbow.
Benefits of Agnikarma:
Why should you go with Agnikarma over and above other conventional reasons? Here are the reasons!
- No downtime: The process is usually completed swiftly, results visible in 2-4 weeks, and assures no recovery period or ‘downtime’. This makes it very convenient for busy professionals on tight schedules and approaching deadlines.
- Accessible treatment: Agnikarma is a treatment devised and perfected in India. The treatment is available in most towns and cities.
- Diversity: This treatment cures pain arising due to troubles in bones, ligaments, joints, tendons and cartilages, all. Therefore, it is a one-stop solution to all your problems.
- No surgery: Nowadays, with the rising number of incidents of invasive surgery, permanent organ damage and formation of lethal scar tissue, the fear of surgery is not unfounded at all. This is where Agnikarma has a huge advantage – it does not involve surgery, and on the other hand, reduces the chance of you ever needing surgery. It may postpone surgery if it can’t altogether remove the need for it.
How is it done?
In Agnikarma treatment, the areas in your body in the most pain are identified and marked. After that, a metallic object called the Shalaka is brought into use. This is heated up and applied directly to those sensitive areas. The heat is transferred from the Shalaka to them, healing them through heat therapy. The process gives long lasting relief from pain, and gives a host of related benefits like improvement of blood supply to the region, reducing joint cramps and stiffness, relaxing muscles and decreasing the chances of infection.
Agnikarma treatment in Ayurveda is the one of the best ones out there for effective pain management. It involves drugless treatment that shows results within a few weeks, that too with zero downtime. If you are suffering from acute or chronic joint, muscle, bone or related organ pain, you should book your session right away!
Diabetes is one of the worst diseases which has gripped majority of people today, thanks to our erratic work schedule followed by a lack of exercise and sleep, aggravated by the overindulgence in junk food. But, the good news is that you can control and even reverse diabetes by following some simple dietary tips.
The fact is dieting doesn’t mean starving; you can have tasty nutritious food which is mentally and physically rejuvenating.
Here are a few dietary tips you should follow to keep your blood sugar levels in check-
- Include adequate vegetables in your diet; especially which have high fibre content. Leafy vegetables such as spinach and vegetables such as peas, broccoli and beans are a must.
- Include high fibre foods such as chickpea wheat, oats and millets in your diet.
- Milk has the perfect combination of protein and carbohydrate and can control blood sugar levels.
- Make sure you eat pulses, especially those with husk and sprouts, as they keep your blood glucose levels normal. Even when you are having noodles, you must add sprouts to them apart from the vegetables.
- Foods which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids are excellent for combating diabetes. These include flax seed oil, nuts, fatty fish; these have a very small level of cholesterol.
- Consume high fibre fruits such as papaya, pear, orange, guava etc. Eat those fruits which have high sugar content such as mangoes or grapes, in moderation.
These are some of the foods which you should include in your diet. In addition, there are few everyday tips which you should follow-
- Make sure to have small frequent meals comprising of high fibre and low in carbohydrate foods.
- Methi or fenugreek seeds have high diabetes controlling mechanisms. Soak one tablespoon of the seeds in 100 ml of water overnight and have it in the morning.
- Exercise helps in managing blood sugar levels.
- Losing weight improves the functioning of the insulin.
Tip for sticking with a diabetes-friendly diet plan-
First and foremost, take small, manageable steps. Choose two or three things you want to work on. Once you feel you have mastered those you can move on to two or three more steps towards a healthier diet.