Doctor in Darshan Orthopaedic And Surgical Clinic
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Darshan Orthopaedic And Surgical ClinicYour feedback matters!
Air pollution is known to take a toll on the lungs of even the healthiest adults. So it comes as no surprise that the effects of this pollution on the lungs of children is deemed as a grave situation, full of health hazards including the onset of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorders and conditions like asthma. Read on to find out more about the link between air pollution and its effect on the lungs of children.
- Children's Lungs: Mostly, all the organs of a child's body are considered delicate and not fully matured until the child reaches a certain age. The main and largest part of the child's lungs will usually grow only after the child has been born - much like the arms and legs. In fact, it is a medically proven fact that about 80% of the tiniest of air sacs grow after the child's birth. These are called the alveoli and they facilitate the transfer of the oxygen into the blood stream with a life sustaining function that is built into our lungs. These alveoli continue to grow until the child becomes an adult.
- Immunity and Infections: Like the lungs of the child, the immunity of the child is also still in its growth phase, and very much unlike the immunity that an adult enjoys. This makes the child more susceptible to infections that are usually carried by air pollution in today's day and age of urban living when myriad pollutants are sent into the air every single day. Also, since children play outdoors more often and spend more time breathing in this air, they are more prone to these infections and lung or respiratory ailments due to this reason. Various studies and tests have shown inflammation in the respiratory passages caused by deposits of carbon dioxide emissions in the lungs of children.
- Symptoms: Usually, the very first symptoms that show that air pollution is affecting the child's lungs can be seen when persistent coughing and wheezing sets in, without any proper reason. Also, when the child faces bronchial infections time and time again, then this points at the hazardous effects of air pollution as well.
- Respiratory problems: Apart from respiratory problems which can lead to asthmatic attacks, hay fever and allergies as well as other COPD ailments, there are other related dangers. These can happen when constant choking and obstruction of oxygen due to pollution become a regular affair. These include strokes and brain damage which can eventually also lead to a higher risk of dementia.
The government and citizens need to ensure that there is a drop in particle air pollution so as to ensure that children do not fall prey to such health problems.
Endometriosis is a condition where the endometrial tissue lining the womb, grows outside the urethral lining. This can cause severe pelvic pain and a host of other complications, if it is not treated on time.
Here is everything you need to know about this ailment:
Symptoms: Owing to the location of this tissue and its painful protrusion through the lining or walls of the womb, one of the earliest and most painful symptoms experienced may include severe cramps and pain during the menstrual cycle. Also, the patient will experience pain in the lower abdomen region about a week before the onset of the cycle. Heavy bleeding as well as infertility may be experienced in such cases too. Sexual intercourse will also give rise to pain in the region, while discomfort will be felt during the bowel movements. Pain in the lower back will also be experienced throughout the menstruation period.
Stages: There are several stages of this disease and its progression, each of which will require a different form of treatment. These four stages usually depend on the location, size, depth and number of the endometrial implants within the body of the patient.
- Moderate Stage: In this stage, the implants will dig deeper into the ovaries and the pelvic lining, which will result in the growth of even more lesions.
- Severe Stage: As the name suggests, in this stage the patient will experience deep implants along with lesions in the bowels and the fallopian tubes.
Treatment: There are varied forms of this treatment including pain relief medication for minimal to mild stage patients. Also, hormonal therapy with the help of supplements may be prescribed. Hormonal contraceptives may also be used. In such cases, medication like Danazol, Medroxyprogesterone, Gonadotripin releasing hormone agonists, and other such elements may be prescribed. Conservative surgery and radical surgery may follow, depending on the severity of the condition. Laparoscopy is the preferred form of treatment in such cases.
A hysterectomy can be conducted as a final resort where the surgeon will remove the cervix as well as the uterus of the patient. This will make pregnancy impossible for the patient, thereafter. To stem estrogen production, the ovaries will also be removed.
One must discuss all risks and complications before going in for a certain form of treatment for this ailment
A panic attack is the result of a sudden enormous burst of fear and anxiety. The heart tends to beat faster and breathing becomes difficult. A person gets a feeling of going crazy and dries up. If the treatment is not taken on time, this condition can aggravate to panic disorder and such other problems. It is totally curable if the symptoms are addressed properly.
Symptoms of panic disorder:
Panic attacks can lead someone to panic in any place. It takes only 10 minutes to reach its peak and typically lasts for 25-20 minutes. A patient is a prime candidate of a panic disorder if he frequently suffers from the following symptoms:
- The discomfort of the chest
- Profound sweating
- Fear of losing control of life
- Feeling of detachment from the surrounding
- A choked feeling
- Heart palpitation
- Sudden cold flashes and tingling sensation
Apart from the above symptoms, if a patient suffers from anxiety in between panic attacks in anticipation of another panic attacks, he could be suffering from panic disorders. it is often witnessed that patients suffering from panic disorder avoid certain situations and places.
What causes panic disorder?
Panic disorder results from frequent panic attacks and the cause of the latter are not very clear. It is believed that certain life transitions such as divorce, getting married, acute stress, the death of loved one can result in panic attacks. A person has higher chances of getting this disease if it runs in the family. Some medical conditions that can cause panic disorder are hyperthyroidism, use of stimulants such as cocaine, caffeine and mitral valve prolapse.
How it can be treated?
Behavioral treatment: Cognitive behavioral therapy is widely considered as one of the effective treatments for panic attacks. This form of treatment effectively focuses on thinking patterns and behavior that triggers panic attacks. It helps you to look at your apprehensions in a better light. Another method of treatment for panic disorder is called exposure therapy. This method exposes a patient sensation of panic in a controlled environment. The trick is to deal with it in a much better way. For instance, you might be asked to cross the road. When you successfully manage to do it without getting crashed, you are less likely to panic in foreseeable future.
Medication Treatment: Medication can address the problem temporarily, but is not a good solution for long term. Certain medication such as antidepressants and Benzodiazepines are prescribed by doctors with time duration of every 1-2 hours. These are anti-anxiety drugs and gives immediate relief from panic attacks. However, it should be ensured that these medicines are only consumed once a doctor prescribes it.
Technology and science have advanced to a great level and there are now several cures for so many diseases and illnesses. However, when it comes to curing menstrual or premenstrual cramps, there are certain old-fashioned cures that have proven to be the most effective.
These are as follows:
- Brew and drink some herbal tea: Home-brewed teas and edibles have been a go-to solution for hundreds of years. Herbal tea, as its name proposes, has for quite some time been a solid treatment for issues as its oils help in resolving muscle fits or cramps. Red raspberry leaf is a sweet tasting and an exceedingly effective spasm cure when taken as a tea. You can make your own tea from the dried leaves; there are many other tea options possible.
- Make a homegrown tincture to limit the bleeding: Women with troublesome periods, particularly those who have issues like fibroids, blisters, endometriosis, and different conditions that can influence bleeding, may want to regulate their stream. You can take a mitigating herb and mix it in a very little amount of alcohol to keep the blood flow warm and avoid clots.
In case the bleeding goes on for more than seven days, or in case you bleed more than you are supposed to in one day, the bleeding could be an indication that something is not exactly right. Take care of your body and see a specialist if your period is reliably strange.
There are many couples these days who are opting for IVF treatment to get pregnant. During the process of IVF, many couples end up with a twin pregnancy or sometimes multiple pregnancy as well. In a normal pregnancy, the chance of concieving twins is less. It is somewhere around 6%, but when it comes to the IVF process, there is a 25% chance for twins and more than 3% chance of 3 or more babies.
Most of the times, couples do not find it a problem when they are pregnant with twins. For those couples who find it difficult to get pregnant in a natural way, a twin pregnancy or multiple pregnancy can be a boon. As the process of IVF is expensive and the chances of success are also not guaranteed, having two babies at a time is considered lucky. You need not have to spend twice, no delivery pains twice. But did you know that there are also many risks involved in multiple pregnancy?
Yes, multiple pregnancy comes with a lot of risks. Here are some of them:
- Cesarean babies: Most of the mothers with multiple IVF pregnancy will have to undergo a cesarean section for delivery. They will not be able to go through normal labor and delivery. This will take a lot of time for the mothers to recover and they will also not be able to spend time with their babies.
- Gestational Diabetes: When a woman is pregnant with multiple babies, then they may have gestational diabetes. This kind of diabetes will increase the weight of both mother and baby. In case the mother is going for vaginal delivery, then it can be a great risk if the baby grows really large inside.
- Unhealthy babies: Most of the times, twin babies will not be born healthy. Maybe not at the time of delivery, but these kids will have health issues in the future as well.
- Hard to carry: When the mother is weak, then it can be hard for the mother to carry multiple babies at a time. That can create some major health issues for both mother and baby.
Single pregnancy is always safe in the IVF process and you need to discuss all issues with your doctor when you are opting for the IVF process as a way of getting pregnant.
A million-dollar question for spouse and parents these days is to take a call on whether to induce labor or hold on till the normal labor begins. An induced labor is initiated with Syntocinon. Pregnant women and her families should be aware that initiating induced pregnancy for low-risk pregnancy brings with it a lot of complication that at times is uncalled for.
Here is a list of difference between how natural and induced pregnancy differs in their nature:
- Pregnancy hormone: Oxytocin that initiates contraction in a pregnant woman does so over many hours. In case of natural labor, the body gets around 10 hours of contraction with periodic rests in between. It helps the body get enough time to recover from a contraction before the next contraction begins. However, in case of an induced labor, Pitocin is used to initiate contraction. The biggest disadvantage of this method is the fact that the body gets no downtime. Contractions happen one after another with no breaks in between.
- Contraction pain: Natural contractions build gradually that are mild and short. Over time, the contraction might become more intense and close together. However, in the case of an induced labor, the Syntocinon or Pitocin used through intravenous infusion or IV does not communicate to the brain to release endorphins. As a result, a pregnant woman feels intense pain right from the start of the pregnancy. Doctors often inject pain medication to counter the sudden and intense pain.
- Movement during labor: During a normal labor, women can seek out places and positions in which they feel most comfortable. It is important to move during the contraction so that the baby finds enough room for the birth. In induced labor, it requires constant monitoring by the medical team to ensure that the fetus is not in distress. The mother gets no room to move during this process and the baby gets less room for the birth.
- Fetal ejection: It is a phenomenon that involves the body’s uncontrollable powerful urge to push. High level of oxytocin along with adrenaline is accumulated in the cervix region for the downward and outward movement of the baby. In case of an induced labor, the fetal ejection doesn’t occur. Women undergoing induced labor often requires medical intervention at different stages of the baby’s birth.
- Baby’s brain: During the process of normal labour, the oxytocin protects the brain of the baby from getting damaged due to lower volume of oxygen. This is not the case when it comes to induced labor. The synthetic oxytocin interferes with the ability of the body to produce the hormone. Thus, it exposes the baby to oxygen deprivation.
The field of medicine has evolved to a considerable extent that most health issues can be treated using drugs and minimally invasive procedures. Still, there are circumstances wherein surgical intervention is the best possible course of treatment where the pros outweigh the cons and prove to be highly beneficial to the patients.
One such situation is when a patient is suffering from colorectal disorders such abnormal cracks and tears in the anus to fecal incontinence, congenital disabilities in colon or anus, rectal or colon cancers or rectal or anal prolapse and does not respond to medication. This is when colorectal surgery, once known as proctology, becomes essential. It is a field of medicine that refers to the various surgical procedures that are performed to treat such disorders in the colon, anus, and rectum.
Here are few more compelling reasons why the surgery is the best possible solution in this scenario.
- Availability of various types: Colorectal surgery doesn't refer to one single surgical technique, but a collection of different surgical methods that can offer relief from various colorectal conditions. Some of the common colorectal surgical methods are colectomy, endoscopic surgery, colostomy, rectopexy, IBD surgery and hemorrhoidectomy which can effectively deal with the colorectal issues.
- Complete relief: In case of many colorectal conditions such as fissures, piles, and fistula, medications or lifestyle changes fail to offer a complete relief from the discomfort. They tend to come back again, making surgical removal the only option for complete relief. Similarly, in colon cancer also, it is through colorectal surgery that the disease can be cured.
- Lesser downtime: Depending on the type of colorectal surgery performed, there are different recovery time required. Though for traditional open colorectal surgeries, such as inflammatory bowel disease surgery, the recovery time may be weeks, for laparoscopic colorectal surgeries the downtime is considerably lesser as only ‘keyhole' like cuts are made. A laparoscopic colorectal surgery means lesser hospital stay as well as less pain, less scarring and quicker getting back to normal life.
- Various conditions can be treated: Whatever be the state of the colon, small bowel, anus, and rectum and be it malignant or benign, the problem can be addressed through either laparoscopic and open colorectal surgical techniques as applicable. From anorectal disorders like an abscess, cancer, fissure, fistula, haemorrhoids, polyps, stenosis to rectal, etc. and colon disorders like colorectal cancer, ulcerative colitis, diverticular disease, bowel obstruction, hereditary non-polyposis, etc. can be treated through colorectal surgery. So, as can be noted, because of the numerous benefits it offers, colorectal surgery is the preferred treatment option when it comes to the colorectal disorders especially when medications are not helpful. Your gastrointestinal surgeon would decide on the course of treatment plan depending on your condition and proceed accordingly.
So, as can be noted, because of the numerous benefits it offers, colorectal surgery is the preferred treatment option when it comes to the colorectal disorders especially when medications are not helpful. Your gastroenterologist would decide on the course of treatment plan depending on your condition and proceed accordingly.
In vitro fertilization or IVF is an advanced process of fertilisation, which involves the combining of an egg with a sperm in a laboratory dish. This is followed by the implantation of the embryo(s) [a developing unborn offspring formed by the combination] in your uterus. Being one of the most successful and widely opted methods of assisted reproductive technology, IVF is considered to be highly advantageous for couples who seek a child but have fertility issues.
1. IVF proves to be a boon for couples who are normally unable to conceive: Couples who have fertility issues generally opt for IVF to fulfil their wish of having a child. IVF works against fertility problems like blocked fallopian tubes, PCOS, endometriosis (a condition where a fraction of the womb lining grows outside it), premature ovarian failure or menopause among women and unusual sperm size, low sperm count, and inadequate sperm mobility among men.
2. It has been in use since long and is proven to be safe: IVF was first used in 1978 to give life to the baby Louise Brown, safely. Since then, the enhancements in technology and techniques have resulted in large numbers of successful cases, where IVF has proved to be a safe method for conceiving.
3. It has higher success rates in comparison to other types of technologies used for assisted reproduction: Though various types of assisted reproductive technologies like IUI (Intrauterine insemination) are available for couples seeking a child, the success rate and effectiveness of IVF is the highest. This is due to the fact that IVF has undergone significant levels of enhancement over the years in comparison to other such techniques.
4. It proves to be of great help to same-sex couples and single women: Same-sex couples and single women are hugely benefitted through IVF as it helps them in becoming parent(s) by using donor sperms.
5. It can help you to eliminate genetic disorders: IVF helps in preventing the conceived child from inheriting any general disorders present in the parents through the process of pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD – a reproductive technology that accompanies an IVF cycle to detect genetic diseases in the embryo before the implantation happens). Moreover, opting for pre-implantation genetic screening (PGS) increases the probability of success as it entails a screening of the embryos that helps in identifying chromosomal disorders like Down’s syndrome.
Not everyone can conceive a baby easily. The inability to conceive a baby despite having intercourse during the fertile window in a woman’s menstrual cycle for over a year is termed as infertility. Infertility does not affect only the physical health of a woman, but also her mental and emotional well-being as well as the couple’s social health.
In some cases, infertility can be treated with Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, a couple needs to be both physically and mentally strong and healthy. Ayurveda believes that a lack of nutrition in the shukra dhatu or the person’s reproductive tissue is the cause of infertility. This can be triggered by indigestion, anxiety, depression, insomnia and the presence of toxins in the body. Some of the ways ayurveda can be used to treat infertility are as follows:
- Eat cool foods: Spicy food can affect the quality of shukra dhatu and lower the quality and quantity of both sperm and ovum. This is because shukra dhatu requires a cool environment to promote fertility. Hence, eat food that is easy to digest and which has a cooling effect on the body. Men can benefit from foods like asparagus, dates and almonds, while foods like quinoa and pineapples can help a woman conceive easily.
- Shirodhara therapy: Shirodhara involves the movement of liquid over the forehead in a rhythmic manner at specific points. This stimulates the hypothalamus, pituitary and pineal glands and aids in the secretion of hormones including follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). When it comes to women, FSH stimulates the ovarian follicles into releasing an egg without which it would be impossible to conceive a child.
- Fight stress: One of the effects of stress is reduced libido. Prolonged exposure to stress is often a major factor that contributes to infertility. When it comes to women, stress makes a woman ovulate less regularly. In men, stress can affect the sperm production and affect testosterone levels. To fight stress, try deep breathing exercises like alom vilom or keep a little time aside each morning for a walk or light exercise.
- Lodhra: This herb is very beneficial in treating women with infertility. It stimulates FSH and luteinising hormones (LH) and lowers the risk of a miscarriage. It also increases chances of conception. Lodhra should be taken twice a day along with honey and milk.
- Lifestyle changes: Ayurveda is not only about herbal medicines but also following the right lifestyle. Bad habits like smoking, drug usage and alcohol not only affect a person’s overall health but also interfere with fertility. Hence, when trying to conceive a child, quit these bad habits and try following a healthier lifestyle that involves following a routine, eating right and exercising regularly.
Numerous ladies encounter some bleeding in early pregnancy. Around one in four perceived pregnancies end in an unnatural miscarriage. Most are brought about by irregularities in the genes. Continuously tell your specialist in case you have vaginal bleeding when you are pregnant. Bleeding with pain can likewise be an indication of an ectopic pregnancy. However, it is to be taken seriously and needs dire therapeutic care. Losing a pregnancy can be hard for both the partners. In any case, most couples that encounter this will go ahead to have an effective pregnancy next time. Here are a few reasons why bleeding takes place in early pregnancy:
- Numerous women may have a small amount of bleeding during their missed period. Sometimes, this may also be called an implantation bleed. It happens when the prepared egg inserts itself in the mass of your womb (uterus). In such cases, it is considered harmless.
- The most widely recognised reason for bleeding is an early premature delivery. Miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy at any time until the twenty- fourth week. A miscarriage after this time is known as a stillbirth.
- A less normal reason for bleeding during pregnancy is an ectopic pregnancy. This is a pregnancy that happens outside the womb. It happens in about one in every hundred pregnancies.
- Smoking increases your chances of bleeding and miscarriage.
- Drinking a lot of liquor can also cause the same. Drinking four units of liquor a week (one unit is a large portion of a half quart) can increase the risk of a miscarriage to four times.
- Using recreational medications can lead to bleeding.
- Have had fertility issues in the past or having taken a long time to conceive may also create such a condition.
- Having any complications with womb (uterus) can cause bleeding.
- Have certain medical conditions (for instance, systemic lupus erythematosus, antiphospholipid disorder) may also cause the same.
- Have diabetes that is not controllable can lead to bleeding at this time.
- Have specific infections like listeria and German measles (rubella) may cause bleeding during pregnancy.
You need to report any bleeding in pregnancy to your specialist. It is essential to get the right conclusion, as unsuccessful labour is not by any means the only aim of vaginal bleeding. In case that you are bleeding intensely or have serious stomach pain when you are pregnant, call an ambulance immediately.
Women with bleeding in early pregnancy need to see an obstetrician. It is important to have an ultrasound check. This is normally done by inserting a little probe inside the vagina. This helps figure out if the bleeding is happening due to:
- A possible miscarriage
- A premature delivery (no pulse is seen).
- Some other reason for bleeding, (for example, an ectopic pregnancy)
- In case that it is unclear from your ultrasound check whether the pregnancy is sound or not, then you might need to go for a repeat scan in two weeks.