Doctor in Kasturmahal Poly Clinic
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Treatment of Cancer Counselling
Submit a review for Kasturmahal Poly ClinicYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I saw Chhaya Jain clinic's advertisement in newspaper and that is how we referred her. With great ease Chhaya Jain explained us the problem and how the treatment will be carried out. she gave me treatment to increase concentration. All the staff members were very helpful. The entire Chhaya Jain is very nicely designed. Thanks to the expert care and guidance, I feel much better than before.
She did my sister's psychotherapy. The Chhaya Jain's clinc is designed in such a way that every patient feels at ease. The psychotherapy has helped her greatly and now I am perfectly fine. One of my colleague referred Chhaya Jain. She is not just friendly, but also is very motivating.
I was suffering from stress and It was affecting my day to day life. My father took me to Dr Chhaya. She is a well experienced psychologist. She helped me to get rid this problem. She took number of counselling sessions and after all the sessions, I am perfectly fine.
Mrs. Chhaya Jain provides answers that are very helpful. Thank you so much.
Nice curable experience for me
So you love you job and don't mind working after-hours every once in a while. Are you plagued by hypertension, stomach disorder and sleeplessness often? It's probably about time that you started paying more attention to the dual functioning of your body and mind. Straining on one while neglecting the other will only bear dire consequences in the near future and render your body weak and your mind restless.
The regulation of the mind-body dualism is the most integral aspect of your being. Your mind has the potential of affecting your health in more ways than one. Having a better outlook towards life helps deal with health issues such as depression, headaches, pain and stress.
The dual functioning of mind and body is bound to have greater implications on your health and one needs to be well aware of the face of it:
1. YOUR MIND REFLECTS WHAT YOUR HEALTH HAS TO SAY
The brain creates gamma globulin and endorphins which toughen your immunity and serve as natural painkillers, respectively. The production of these substances depends significantly on how you're feeling at the moment. Having a positive outlook even when you're down with fever, pain or stress enables your body to create better regulatory hormones which accelerate healing. On the other hand, if you're being too hard on yourself as a result of work overload, emotional crisis or any personal mishap, and adopt a negative perspective towards most things, your body will know and slow down its mechanism for creating endorphins and gamma globulin. This means you'll take longer to regain normalcy.
2. WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO YOUR BODY AFFECTS HOW YOUR BRAIN WORKS
On the flipside, if your body is under extreme pressure to perform and as a result you're missing out on your regular healthy regime, your mind is guaranteed to function differently. Eating differently, losing sleep, exercising less, and burn-outs will affect your mental well-being, mostly negatively. The fight-or-flight reaction and blood pressure levels are considerably influenced by how you're feeling and how you are dealing with things in life. As a result, you might feel depressed, moody, restless or sick.
THERAPIES TO INCREASE THE MIND-BODY FUNCTIONING-
Practicing therapy and exercising to improve the dual functioning of your brain and body are therefore indispensible for keeping well. The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) suggests some integrative measures that are sure to have a positive impact on your over-all well being:
2. Cognitive-behavioral management
3. Yoga and relaxation
4. Proper diet and regular physical exercise
5. Active involvement in music, art or dance
6. Avoiding a sedentary lifestyle
Despite everything else, if you're still willing to work beyond your deadline, at least don't forget to eat the salad that you had packed for lunch!
Stress happens when the demands placed on you are too much and cause a burden on you, for example, work, school or relationships surpass your capacity or ability to adapt. Sometimes stress can be a little beneficial in the form of a support that gives the drive to some people to get their work done on time and meet due dates and deadline. However, an extraordinary measure of stress can create health and well-being issues. They can lead to problems in cardiovascular and central nervous systems and take a serious emotional problem.
Untreated and chronic stress can bring about serious health conditions including tension, sleeping disorder, muscle pain, hypertension and a weak immune system. Stress can fuel other diseases and disorders, for example, heart diseases, depression and obesity most of the times. By discovering positive, healthy and solid ways to oversee stress as it happens, a significant number of these negative well-being outcomes can be decreased. Here are five effective ways to manage stress:
- Take a break from the work: It might appear to be hard to divert yourself from a major work schedule. However, when you give yourself consent to step away from it, you let yourself have sufficient energy to accomplish something else, which can help you have another viewpoint or practice methods to feel less stressed. It is critical not to ignore the stress factor. However, even twenty minutes to yourself is useful.
- Workout: Exercise benefits your emotions and brain along with your body. We continue finding out about the long term advantages of a normal exercise schedule. In any case, even a ten or fifteen-minute walk, run, swim or yoga session during an unpleasant time can give a quick impact that can keep you going for a few hours.
- Laugh and try to stay happy: Our brains are interconnected with our feelings and outward appearances. When individuals are stressed, it shows up on their face. So laughter can alleviate some of that pressure and enhance the circumstance.
- Get social backing: Try to call a friend or send an email to someone regarding your problems. When you impart your worries or sentiments to someone else, it helps calm the stress. In any case, it is critical that the individual whom you converse with is somebody whom you trust and someone who can understand and accept you. In case your family is the stressor, for instance, it may not ease your stress in which case, you may need a friend.
- Meditate: Meditation and prayer can help the brain and body to unwind and concentrate properly. It can help people see new points of view, create self-sympathy and forgiveness. While practising meditation, individuals can discharge feelings that may have been bringing about physical pain. Much like a workout, research has demonstrated that practising meditation can prove to be very helpful.
Stress has become a part and parcel of everyday life. What people miss here is that stress can actually be the cause of various disorders, many of them severe as well. However, don’t worry as this article would try to share information on some of the easy stress management tips you can make use of every single day of your life.
Top five tips for stress management:
Before jumping onto the bandwagon, first you need to understand that every individual is different, and so are their psychological, emotional and physical environments. Thus, what might help one person to deal with his/her stress levels might not help another human being.
- Breathe: Let your lungs breathe out all your stress that is building inside you. Breathing instantly helps you relax as your diaphragm oxygenates your blood. Take a deep breath while you put your hand on your abdomen and hold on for a few seconds. Slowly exhale and you will instantly feel the difference. For better results, repeat it a few times.
- Smile: Smiling has its own advantages. Studies show that smiling can calm you. When you smile, nerve impulses are transmitted to your limbic system that help the brain to switch on the calm mode.
- Try some numbers: Rating the seriousness of your present situation can help you relive some of your stress. Rate your problem on a scale from 1 to 10; 1 being the least stressful events and 10 being the most terrible ones. Mostly, the issues we face range between 2- 5. Hence, mostly the issues we face are not gross. They can be handled without a fuss.
- Fight It Out: Many people start complaining the moment they face a problem. Stop being a victim; it triggers more stress and helplessness.
- Dealing with your situations on the face helps you feeling comfortable. If you miss the bus, wait for the other bus. Find the alternatives of your situation.
- Learn to say no: There is no need to appease all at every time. Learn to say ‘NO’ if you figure you would not be able to handle the particular situation well, given the resources and framework that you have at your disposal.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Is your life dull and boring? Are you unhappy with the way you are leading your everyday life? Laughter is very important for living and is a vital part of healthy living. It helps in relieving tension, reducing stress, making you relax, and increases your happiness. Here are some ways following which you can bring more laughter in your life:
- Connect with an old friend
- Connecting with a friend from the past is ideal for bringing up topics and memories which are sure to make you laugh.
- Remembering funny incidents, stories, and hilarious moments can make you revisit old days and laugh.
- Humour in your everyday life
- Laughter and fun can be found in all places. You need to find them out.
- There can be a lot of common, ordinary things which are ironically or sarcastically funny. Observe humorous moments from everything around you and share them with your people.
- Watch your favourite television shows
- Watching your favourite comedy shows and programs on the tv will bound to loosen you up.
- Instead of watching deep movies that are thought to provoke, something light and capable of making you laugh is also important.
- Spend time with children
- Have sleepovers
- Sleepovers may be old fashioned, but they are a source of unadulterated laughter.
- Inviting friends over for movies and makeovers paves the way for unlimited laughter all night long.
- Visit amusement parks
- Amusement parks are a great way of having fun and also realising how you can laugh at simple things.
- Visit amusement parks with your friends or family and have a great time laughing.
- Listen to funny songs from your childhood
- Listening to your favourite funny songs from childhood is a nice way for you to loosen up.
- It will remind you of your memories with that song, which is bound to make you recapitulate and laugh.
- Play in bouncy houses
- You should hop in bouncy houses that are meant for children.
- You can come across these at birthday parties, community events, and play centres. Jumping and laughing are sure to give you a good time.
You should also try to make the people around you laugh. Hearing the laughter of others will surely make you laugh as well as it is very much contagious. Tell ridiculous jokes and rhymes to make your friends and close ones burst out in laughter, which will be a matter to laugh about for you as well.
As much as we would like to ignore it, domestic abuse is a very common problem. Not every woman has the strength to fight against it and confide in someone. As a friend, it is your duty to look out for them. You don’t have to be an expert in psychology to know the warning signs of domestic violence. Here are 8 such warning signs.
- She is quiet when he is around: If your friend is normally jovial and suddenly becomes quiet the moment her partner is around, don’t overlook the change. She may be scared of saying something that might upset him and start a fight.
- She allows herself to be put down: In almost all cases of domestic violence, the woman is made to feel guilty about everything. This becomes habit and she loses her will to fight back. If you notice you’re friend allowing her partner to walk over her and put her down, she may be facing abuse at home.
- She withdraws from friends and family: Social withdrawal is another major sign of domestic violence. There may be a number of reasons for this; he is too possessive of her, she is injured and scared of letting people see her injuries etc.
- Unexplained injuries: Making an excuse that walking into a door caused a black eye isn’t only a scene from the movies. If your friend suddenly starts wearing inappropriate clothes such as long sleeved tops in summer, she may be a victim of domestic abuse. Look out for such excuses and injuries.
- Plans that are frequently cancelled at the last moment: Victims of domestic abuse often make plans, but never keep them. This could be because their partner does not like them going out without them or because she is injured and doesn’t want you to see her injuries.
- She has casually mentioned violent behavior, but dismissed it lightly: Casually mentioning violent behavior at home could be your friend’s way of trying to tell you that something is wrong. We fear being judged and hence it is sometimes very difficult to speak openly about facing domestic abuse. If you feel a friend is being domestically abused, encourage her to share her problems with you.
- Her finances and personal choices are not controlled by her: Domestic abuse victims usually have most of their lives controlled by their partners. This includes finances, choice of clothing, social attendance etc.
- The children seem nervous and frequently upset: Children may not say much, but notice a lot. Even if they are not abused, seeing their mother hurt can affect a child and make them moody, withdrawn and upset.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Sleep-Wake Disorder is a very uncommon syndrome which causes irregular sleeping patterns without any real schedule.
Persons with brain malfunctioning and those who do not have a regular routine during the day experience such disorders. People with changing work shifts often experience such disorder. Also, travellers who often move from one country to another with different time zones may also have these symptoms.
There's no cure for this disorder, but treatments, including hormones, medicine, and light therapy, can help get you closer to a normal sleeping pattern.
Symptoms may include any of the following:
- Sleeping or napping more than usual during the day
- Trouble falling asleep and staying asleep at night
- Waking up often during the night
Exams and Tests
A person must have at least three abnormal sleep-wake episodes during a 24-hour period to be diagnosed with this problem. The time between each such episode varies from 1 to 4 hours. The doctor may advise you to go ahead with a device called actigraph in case the diagnosis is unclear. The device looks like a wristwatch, and it can tell when a person is sleeping or awake.
Though there is no simple cure for irregular sleep-wake syndrome, however, several therapies and lifestyle changes may help a person return to a normal sleep-wake cycle. These include:
- A regular daytime schedule of activities and mealtimes need to be fixed.
- You should not stay in bed during the day for long.
- Use bright light therapy in the morning like those from computer screens and television. The period of exposure should also be increased. Exposure to blue light should be minimized at night.
- You should take melatonin at bedtime. This is a hormone that controls the sleep-wake cycle. By taking doses at the right times, you might be able to shift your body clock earlier or later.
- Make sure to make the room dark, quiet, and as comfortable as possible at night.
- Also one should try to minimize the amount of noise in the sleep environment.
- Add more structure to the patient’s day by scheduling social interaction, exercise, and other activities.
- Your doctor may prescribe drug to control the timing of the sleep-wake cycle.
Finally, you should take proper care of yourself. Make positive changes in your lifestyle. You can even ask your boss to make your work schedule a bit flexible.
The ultimate goal of these lifestyle changes is to help the person sleep longer at night and make him feel active and awake during the day. Most people have sleep disturbances on occasion. But you need to see your doctor if such sleep disorders occur regularly.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Many of us tend to comply with every single request that is put forward to us by our peers, family, or at the workplace by our superiors. We choose to take up more jobs than we can efficiently handle and put unnecessary stress on ourselves even at the cost of our time and well-being. Must we always do that? Why do we say yes?
People have the notion that saying no can come across as rude or uncaring. You may feel that you are letting someone down by turning down their request or risking a relationship when in reality, it has mostly to do with your self-confidence than your relationships with people. People who have low self-confidence tend to value their own needs less than the needs of others.
It may branch from overbearing parents, high expectations set by your peers and mentors or experiencing parenthood yourself and setting unreasonable standards for yourself. Childhood influences are usually the biggest cause of people always saying ‘yes’ all the time.
How to start saying say no?
If you want to take a step back and start saying no to make sure your own needs are valued, here’s what you need to do.
- Refuse politely, when it seems not possible: Do not overcomplicate responses and try to be as simple in your responses as you can be. If you are asked to do something, and you want to say no, try to be polite in your body language and state that it is not convenient for you at the moment and that you would rather get back to it later.
- Seek time before committing: The transition from saying ‘yes’ all the time to saying no does take time! Start to give yourself more time and ask people to get back to you later. This way you can begin to build more self-confidence and learn to say no over time. This also allows you to evaluate your response instead of immediately saying yes or no to the person asking the favor or task.
- Do not feel guilty: Deep down if you want to do a favor, you can go ahead with it, but you should also understand that it is okay to say no, and there is no need to associate guilt with it. You should set boundaries and allow people around you to understand how much favors they can ask you for instead of presenting you with an endless amount of favors from you.
- Set your boundaries: Refusal does not amount to rejection as you have just as much right to say ‘no’ as the person who is asking the favor from you. You are simply turning down a request, and in most situations, there is a middle ground for compromises where both you and the requester can be satisfied. If you have limited time to fulfill a request, let the person know and help out only as much as you can without overstepping your boundaries.
Bringing in these changes can help you be more self-confident, and at the same time enable you to say no when you need to without weighing yourself down with expectations and fear or rejection.
You might think, as a parent, that if you behave strictly then your child will become well-behaved. But research and studies have shown that the opposite happens. Strict parenting leads to children who behave worse than others and they suffer from low self-esteem.
Some other reasons why being strict is harmful:
- Never learning self-regulation: Responsibility and self-discipline have to be learned by the children themselves. When you put harsh limits on them, they never learn self-regulation. If they think the limits don’t sound too harsh, they will learn to accept them. But the limits placed on them should never be controlling. If this happens, children see themselves as being controlled and no one enjoys being controlled.
- Instilling fear: If you are being authoritarian (parenting in which there are high demands and low sympathy) instead of empathetic, then your children will become scared of you. You are instilling the power of fear in them. This triggers a vicious chain of events. When you yell, they will yell as well.
- Anger and depression: Authoritarian parenting often leads to children believing a part of them is unacceptable. They feel that their parents would not understand. It makes them susceptible to anger management issues and depression.
- Blindly obeying those in power: Children raised up in strict households start thinking power is always right. They learn to obey blindly. This makes them vulnerable to peer pressure. They also never learn to take responsibility for their actions.
- Rebelling: Children tend to be angrier and become rebellious when they have strict parents. The need to break free and not conform to the non-empathetic limits that forces them to act out. They might even nurture thoughts about leaving home and running away.
- Lying: Strict parenting creates excellent liars. Children learn to lie when they are in trouble. They think lies will placate their parents and they can get away with anything.
- Damage to parent-child relationship: If you are strict and you don’t change your authoritarian ways, then it damages your relationship with your children. Natural empathy is lacking in strict parents. You don’t understand your child, and your child doesn’t feel like sharing their lives with you. It creates a divide between the parent and child. Children never quite get over this as they grow older.
Procrastination affects all of us at some point of time in our lives. For most of us, that time comes as soon as the New Year begins. We make a resolution at the end of almost every year to introduce a healthy change or leave a bad habit. However, our commitment to stick to our resolution starts falling flat as we come out of the festive mood and get caught in the hustle and bustle of life. Most of us decide to bring the change to our lifestyles from the coming Monday of the new year. However, for most of us, that Monday never comes. We keep postponing our plan of action to the next Monday and the next month. By the time we realize that we really need to stick to our plan, the year already comes to an end.
Procrastination can make us miss on some of the most amazing things that we can do in life and the things that we really enjoy doing. However, we can make a resolution to overcome our procrastination this year as 2017 ends with one good reason - this time, the beginning of the new year 2018 falls on the new week, the new day i.e. Monday. This very reason is a good enough for all of us to stick to our resolutions from the first day itself and not to delay it until the end of 2018 or until any other Monday.
As you prepare your plans for the New Year’s Eve, start thinking about your resolution for the year 2018 and your plans to follow from the very first day. The following are some of the healthy resolutions that each one of us needs to make right away:
Resolution #1: I won’t eat out for more than one day in a month
Eating home-made meals is absolutely essential to maintain a good health. Processed food and meals ordered from restaurants often lack nutrition and they contain higher amounts of sugar, salt, and refined flour. Half of our concerns related to health will fade away when we start eating right and at the right time.
Resolution #2: I will engage in one physical activity at least once a day
People, especially working professionals, are often too busy to hit the gym and go for a walk. The only physical activity they carry out is to commute to their offices and that too using a transportation system. They spend hours sitting in front of the computer and getting burdened with immense stress. This takes a severe toll on the physical health.
Such people can make a resolution to engage themselves in at least one physical activity every day. Be it walking to a nearby shop to purchase grocery, washing their car, doing the dishes standing, cooking meals at home or mopping the floor.
Resolution #3: I will eat at least one fruit every day
Fruits are absolutely wonderful when it comes to intake of micronutrients and other important vitamins and minerals. Colored fruits such as berries, grapes, and oranges are a rich source of antioxidants that prevent the accumulation of free radicals that cause oxidative damage.
Resolution #4: I will sleep on time or for at least 7 hours every night
Make a commitment to sleep for at least 7, if not 8, hours a day. Sound sleep is absolutely essential to maintain proper mental health and keep the functioning of the hormonal system in the body optimum. It also helps keep a number of health conditions at bay. Sleeping at the same time every day is also essential.
Resolution #5: I will not use any gadget at least an hour before hitting the bed
The light emitted from gadgets such as smartphones and tablets can disrupt sleep and keep you awake at night for a longer duration. Therefore, it is best not to use them at least an hour before you plan to sleep.
So make your list of resolutions and dream up for the New Year. Procrastinating is easy but keeping ourselves away from it is even easier if we have a strong will and are motivated to do something to make our lives better. Not today, not tomorrow, but we can incorporate these little changes in our routine every single day to experience the big change!
The best way to overcome panic attacks is to educate yourself and train your mind to respond to the panic in acceptable and calming ways. In order to get over panic attacks, you will require responses that are different from what you normally do. If you keep trying the same means, you cannot expect different results. If you are willing to be relieved from anxiety, you shall have to try different methods.
You may try the following steps to help yourself cope with panic attacks:
- Acknowledge and accept: This is the first step to progress. You should face the reality instead of ignoring it or pretending that everything is alright. You must acknowledge that you are afraid even when there is no danger. In order to overcome panic attacks, you should learn to work with it instead of working against it.
- Wait and watch: By ‘wait’ it means that you should try to be in that position for some time. It’s true that you may feel insane with your fears and panics, but you should slowly count to 10 when you feel you are going crazy. Your fears would try to snatch away your ability to think or rationalize, and by waiting and watching what happens next, you could get a little span of time for regaining those innate abilities.
- Do something: Once you have already passed through the two initial steps of managing panic disorder, your next task is meant to comfort yourself. You could do this with some breathing exercises, by talking to yourself and by getting involved with what’s happening around you at the present. It will slowly make you feel comfortable by relaxing those parts of the body that get much tensed.
- Repeat if required: Now you have already started to feel better, but another wave of panic may attack you all of a sudden. You may feel that your coping strategies didn’t work. At such a point, you could simply follow all the steps from the top to feel better all over again and there’s nothing wrong in going through several cycles.
- End it: In this final step, you should remind yourself that your panic disorder would end and that all panic disorders end. Your only job is to make yourself feel better and cope with the challenges that you feel during the attack. Gradually, you will feel that those undesired feelings are going away, making you feel relieved.