Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl
Submit a review for Dr. Kanwaljit ChahlYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
All of sudden I developed the cancer and didn't know what to do. she is so nice that they even at odd hours one can call him in case of emergency. In the past i consulted so many doctors, but nobody was able to help me with my cancer, but she has helped me immensely. One of my cousin's referred to Kanwaljit Chahl. the nurses at the Fortis Hospital - Mohali were really helpful. I had lost hope, but the cancer treatment given by Kanwaljit Chahl has helped me regain my confidence.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of hernia. One of my neighbour's recommended Dr Kanwaljit Chahl. Thanks to him for giving perfect advice. Both Kanwaljit Chahl and staff were very helpful. The Fortis Hospital - Mohali have proper facilities for disabled patients as well. She is a very practical doctor. Kanwaljit Chahl has expert knowledge in the field.
dr Kanwaljit Chahl has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference.The overall atmosphere in the hospital Fortis Hospital in Mohali is very soothing. He solved my problem of never ending Acidity. He is very friendly, motivating and lovely.
dr Kanwaljit Chahl is one of the best doctors one can find for the treatment of anal fissure he is super talented and knows how to handle emergency cases calmly. One can consult him at Fortis Hospital - Mohali
Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl provides answers that are very helpful. But are you this is not harmful can you please explain how it is not harmful for her..
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be well-reasoned. The aswer was prompt and well reasoned.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be very helpful. Thnku so much 4 ur advice
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be knowledgeable. thank you very much
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be saved my life. Thanks a lot...
Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl provides answers that are well-reasoned and caring. Thanku very much
Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl provides answers that are very helpful. thnk u
GERD is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter, which is the ring of muscle between the esophagus and stomach. Gastroesophageal reflux is the backward flow of acids from the stomach into the esophagus. Doctors believe that some people usually suffer due to a condition called hiatal hernia. Pregnant women usually suffer from heartburn or acid indigestion caused by Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.
The primary goals in the treatment of this disease are relief from symptoms, healing of erosive esophagitis and prevention of complications of esophagitis. The symptoms include heartburn and regurgitation. The setting includes a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). Patients suspected due to GERD with non-cardiac chest pain are recommended to have diagnostic evaluation before institution of therapy. For diagnosing GERD, barium radiographs should not be used.
The other points that must be remembered to diagnose GERD are
1. Endoscopy is recommended only in case of alarming symptoms. Even in typical symptoms, the upper endoscopy is not recommended.
2. For preoperative evaluation, esophageal manometry is recommended, but it has no role in diagnosing GERD.
3. Ambulatory reflux monitoring is a test that can assess association of reflux symptoms.
The suggested lifestyle modifications for the patients with GERD are
- Weight loss is recommended for patients who are overweight. So, avoid large meals and decrease dietary fat intake.
- Avoid alcohol, chocolate, onions, garlic, acidic foods and peppermint.
- Do not lie down within 3 to 4 hours after meal (recommended for nocturnal GERD patients).
- For symptom relief and to heal erosive esophagitis, a 8-week course of PPIs is the therapy of choice.
- Medications that help in potentiating GERD symptoms, including alpha-adrenergic agonists, nitrates, calcium channel blockers and theophylline should be avoided.
- For patients without diagnostic evaluation, therapy for GERD other than acid suppression, including prokinetic therapy should not be used.
- For patients with partial response to PPI therapy, additional symptom relief can be achieved by increasing the dose twice daily or switching to a different PPI.
- It is recommended to elevate the head of the bed 10 to 20 cm.
- Avoid wearing clothes which are tight around the waist.
- If patients experience heartburn relief, Histamine-receptor antagonists (H2RA) therapy can be used as a maintenance option in patients without erosive disease.
Some surgical options
1. For long-term therapy for patients suffering with GERD, surgical therapy is the best treatment option.
2. In patients who have no evidence of erosive esophagitis, preoperative ambulatory pH monitoring in mandatory.
3. Gastric bypass is the preferred operation for patients who are suffering with obesity and are contemplating surgical therapy for GERD.
Apart from these, there are potential risks that are associated with PPIs such as switching them can be considered in setting of side effects and the therapy can be a risk factor for Clostridium difficile infection.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!