Book Clinic Appointment
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Accident Injuries Treatment
Stem Cell Transplant
Submit a review for Dr. Kanwaljit ChahlYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
All of sudden I developed the cancer and didn't know what to do. she is so nice that they even at odd hours one can call him in case of emergency. In the past i consulted so many doctors, but nobody was able to help me with my cancer, but she has helped me immensely. One of my cousin's referred to Kanwaljit Chahl. the nurses at the Fortis Hospital - Mohali were really helpful. I had lost hope, but the cancer treatment given by Kanwaljit Chahl has helped me regain my confidence.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of hernia. One of my neighbour's recommended Dr Kanwaljit Chahl. Thanks to him for giving perfect advice. Both Kanwaljit Chahl and staff were very helpful. The Fortis Hospital - Mohali have proper facilities for disabled patients as well. She is a very practical doctor. Kanwaljit Chahl has expert knowledge in the field.
dr Kanwaljit Chahl has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference.The overall atmosphere in the hospital Fortis Hospital in Mohali is very soothing. He solved my problem of never ending Acidity. He is very friendly, motivating and lovely.
dr Kanwaljit Chahl is one of the best doctors one can find for the treatment of anal fissure he is super talented and knows how to handle emergency cases calmly. One can consult him at Fortis Hospital - Mohali
Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl provides answers that are very helpful. But are you this is not harmful can you please explain how it is not harmful for her..
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be well-reasoned. The aswer was prompt and well reasoned.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be very helpful. Thnku so much 4 ur advice
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be knowledgeable. thank you very much
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl to be saved my life. Thanks a lot...
Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl provides answers that are well-reasoned and caring. Thanku very much
Dr. Kanwaljit Chahl provides answers that are very helpful. thnk u
In my ear big pimpale is happened last 6 days back. So I went one ent hospital they gave me one pain killer, stancefo200, betnesol-N drop. After using. These med. I n getting more pain so tell me what to do.
Dear Sir, My father has diagnosed throat cancer about 1 years back below lower jaw beside tongue. After 4 month treatment of curative treatment of radiations and chemotherapy he is able to drink any liquid or paste food. Afterword doctor given him rest for three month in these period he found relaxed but after three month passing again right side outer middle of neck shown some swollen type it some times it looks swell or some times it seems soft but in side there is tumor may not be said exactly. Doctors refers to surgical inspections. Now its is paining him severely what to do sir.
From the past 1 week. I am getting white coloured liquid from my years. But there is no pain for me. Even after I kept tablets also it hasn't stopped. Is there any remedy.
My age 29, unmarried male, there is some swelling (fat) below left testes in scrotum. There in no pain. Some times feel frequent urination. Is it normal?
Hi I'm 20 years old and I lost my virginity 3 days ago. I was bleeding a lot the first time and now when I go to the bathroom I bleed. I bleed a lot when I'm doing #2 (if you know what I mean). I don't feel any pain what so ever but when I lost my virginity it hurted a lot and I mean a lot that I wanted to cry, but I guess that's normal. Anyways I want to know if this could be some kind of symptoms after losing virginity or is it normal to bleed when going to the bathroom and how long it should last so. I would like to know what you have to say towards all this. Thanks.
Hi Doc, Mujhe kuch dino se apni right side mein uper ki taraf psalion mein dard aur ek ubhar feel ho raha hai. Saath hi mein deep breath lene mein bhi problem hoti hai. Agar mein deep breath leta hoon to back mein khichav feel hota hai.
My mother (55 yrs) started to have brown dot type something in her ankle almost more than a year ago, earlier we thought that this is side effect of some medicine. But as the days passed by the dots became bigger. Several big patches appeared of same nature. Although it does not pain nor it causes any trouble, but what is that anyway, how to cure it. Please help doctor.
I have breast pain in my both breast before 10 days periods after periods I have pain in my left breast for 10 days.
I am 32 years old male. Having 6 cycle R-chop chemotherapy & 2 high dose methotrexate in 2015. Got lymphoma which was cured. I dint get my hair back as like before. And its density is not good like before. Can you suggest something?
One of the testicle is inside the body and one is outside. Noe it is paining and swelling getting pain. To which doctor we should consult.
I have got married 15 days back, I tried to meet my husband, bt I feel too tight, due to which I never allow him to penetrate, I feel tight & pain wen he enters, we both r still virgin, he got frustrated due to my avoidance, please suggest me something, I want to be happy with my husband,
Hi Doctor, I had total thyroidectomy due to Thyroid cancer Parathyroids were preserved, I am taking calcium supplement of 2000 mg, calcium was 8.6 post surgery, after 50 days now calcium reduced to 7.But I am "ASYMPTOMATIC" My albumin is normal. What could be the reason for low calcium and I am ASYMPTOMATIC not understanding this?.
I am feeling a small lymph under my right armpit. My age 40 yes old after touching it I feel that some mild pain. I am fearing about it, is it cancer or otherwise. If any treatment is required which kind of doctor?
Is oral submucous fibrosis a lesion or a condition? How much percent chance has it to develop into oral cancer? Are there any permanent cures? Or preventive remedies?
Hello sir. I am 37 and diagnosed with stage 1ovarian cancer. Operated .Got six sessions of chemotherapy. And now cancer free. Before operation I had a blood filled mole at the front of foot thumb as I read somewhere that it is a first symbol of cancer. As it is dried little bit. I want to know is there any problem with this mole? As I want to remove it. And secondly can I get marry?
Am suffering from stage 2 Hodgkin's lymphoma and going through chemotherapy and I want to know has my life span decreased because of it?
Stitches or sutures act as a closure for either surface wounds or deep wounds. Procedure to close a deep wound comprises of sewing the two edges and applying stitches under the skin surface.
Catagories of sutures
- Non absorbable stitches are applied in case of skin wounds or internal wounds. Such stitches heal quickly and are easy to remove. Non absorbable stitches are made of natural fibers or synthetic threads like nylon polypropylene. As the name suggests, these stitches are either permanent or persist for a long time.
- Absorbable stitches are applied on layers which have the property of healing quickly. They are very firm during the initial days. Then they start getting dissolved in the body.
Precautions taken by medical team before applying stitches to prevent infection
- Careful checking of nose for occurrence of germs before the start of operation.
- Skin must be cleansed prior to surgery.
- Sanitizing hands prior conducting the surgery.
- Usage of germ free gloves and sterile clothes while applying sutures.
- Prescribing antibiotics to the patients who may fear high risk of infections.
Precautions to be taken by patient to prevent infection
- Take a bath prior to surgery.
- Avoid using razor at the surgical site. The same can be carried out by using clippers by the surgery team itself.
- Keep all your jewellery aside before the operation starts. Do not apply nail polish.
- It is advised to cover up the wound. Try to keep the adjacent areas germ free. This is a crucial step in avoiding infection.
- Visit your doctor at once on finding redness around the wound.
When to see your doctor?
Pain up to a certain threshold is normal. In case pain gets unbearable, the scene can be alarming. It may be an indication of infection. Taking immediate remedial steps is necessary to avoid infection or any other side effects post the surgery. On meeting with any of the following signs, it is better to consult doctor at once.
- If the skin around the wound gets swollen.
- If you detect redness around the wound.
- If the pain becomes unbearable.
- If the wound starts developing pus.
- If your body temperature increases abnormally or if you have fever.
- If you observe red streaks around the wound.
- If in case a stitch gets opened up and the edges of the suture start widening. This is the most alarming sign. In case a suture gets opened, you must immediately seek for a remedy.
Ask your doctor for the precautions you can take to avoid experiencing any of the above signs. If unfortunately you come across such alarming symptoms, rush to the nearest hospital and get the appropriate treatment. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Surgeon.
All the surgical operations performed on any of the endocrine glands come under the roof of endocrine surgery. Endocrine glands function as hormone secretor and have a major impact on the normal functioning of all the cells of body. Endocrine surgeons expertise in treating and operating either thyroid glands or parathyroid glands or adrenal glands or endocrine pancreas or neuro-endocrine glands. Duties of Endocrine surgeons range from initial diagnosis to examination of endocrine disorders. They further collaborate with pathologists, geneticists, radiologists, anesthetists and contribute in higher researches related to endocrine glands.
A brief about thyroid surgery
It is one of the most common endocrine surgeries. Symptoms that suggest a person shall undertake a thyroid surgery
- A lump which can be a malignant tumor in disguise. A fine needle biopsy of the lump is performed to detect the chances of tumor.
- A goitre which may be indicated by hindrance in breathing, persistent cough and difficulty in wallowing. This may cause load on adjacent organs.
- A retrosternal goiter.
Following operations are performed during thyroid surgery
- Bilateral subtotal thyroidectomy: For eleminating major part of thyroid except both part of lobes.
- Hemithyroidectomy: For eleminating half of thyroid
- Total thyroidectomy: For exclusion of entire thyroid
- Removal of thyroid nodule: Cutting out a lump from the thyroid
The procedure for thyroid surgery
The patient undertaking thyroid surgery is given either general anesthesia or local anesthesia. The surgery starts with making an incision, in front of the neck. This cut is made at about 2 - 3cm above collarbone. Then the muscles are divided so that the thyroid can be cut out. This entire operation is to be carried out with utmost care and attention so that parathyroid glands and voice box are unharmed.
Complexities involved in thyroid surgery
- While undergoing a thyroid surgery, chances of experiencing chest infection, infection due to anesthetics,heart problems, blood clotting, cut infections still persist.
- If bleeding continues post the surgery, it may result in swollen throat. Normal breathing may also be hampered. If during the operation, the voice box is damaged, it may result in hoarseness of the voice.
- Damage to the parathyroid glands may cause decrement in level of calcium in blood.
- If the scar tissue grows abnormally, it may result in surgical scar.
Remedies for the above complications
- Effects due to the damage to the voice box can be diminished by utilizing speech therapy. An additional surgery of the vocal cords can also be an option.
- One can overcome the drop in the level of calcium by taking calcium and vitamin D tablets.
- Surgical scars can be treated with the aid of steroid injections or silicone gel tape. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Surgeon.
Many women experience a temporary encounter with hemorrhoids when they are pregnant. Quite surprisingly, most people tend to experience this in their daily lives. By the age 50, majority of people have encountered one or more symptoms of this ailment, including rectal pain, bleeding, itching and may be prolapse where the hemorrhoids protrude out of the anal canal. Though this ailment can be rarely detrimental, it can be a painful intrusion. But thankfully, there are a lot of things we can do about them.
How may this be diagnosed?
Hemorrhoids are usually diagnosed from a plain medical history and health exam. External hemorrhoids, more commonly known as piles, are normally apparent, particularly if a blood clot is formed. Your physician shall perform a digital rectal test to detect blood in the stool. Then the physician may also inspect the anal tube with the aid of an anoscope, which is a short plastic channel interjected into the rectum with illumination. If he finds any evidence of microscopic blood or rectal bleeding in the stool, then there may be a need to perform colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy to determine the probable causes of bleeding like cancer or colorectal polyps, specifically in women aged over 50.
Is it possible to treat hemorrhoids at home?
Most of the common symptoms of piles can improve drastically with simple in-home measures. If you are suffering from occasional flare-ups, you may try the following:
- Eat a lot of fibre: It is recommended to add fibre in the diet; may be a fibre supplement like Citrucel, Fibre con, etc. When you drink a lot of water along with loads of fibre, stools get softened making them effortless to pass, which will reduce the pressure on the swollen veins. Eating broccoli, wheat, oats, beans, fresh fruits every day will help in decreasing bleeding caused due to piles. It also reduces swelling and inflammation. If you feel digestive issues with a sudden splurge of fibre in your diet, you may start slowly and gradually increase the amounts.
- Take a sitz bath: A sitz bath is a lukewarm water bath for the lower back portion of the body, which can help in relieving irritation, itching as well as spasms occurring in the sphincter muscle. You can either get small plastic tubs for a sitz bath or sit in a normal bath tub. Most physicians suggest a half an hour sitz bath after every bowel movement. Then tenderly dry the area and avoid wiping it hard.
There are several invasive treatments that can be opted if these conservative treatments are not able to help your condition. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Surgeon.