Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Meerut and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Shivi KhatriYour feedback matters!
Periodontitis is a serious gum infection that damages the soft tissue and destroys the bone that supports your teeth. Periodontitis can cause tooth loss or worse, an increased risk of heart attack or stroke and other serious health problems.
Periodontitis is common but largely preventable. Periodontitis is usually the result of poor oral hygiene. Brushing at least twice a day, flossing daily and getting regular dental checkups can greatly reduce your chance of developing periodontitis.
In most cases, periodontitis is preventable. It is usually caused by poor dental hygiene.
Signs and Symptoms of Periodontitis
- Swollen gums
- Bright red or purplish gums
- Gums that feel tender when touched
- Gums that pull away from your teeth (recede), making your teeth look longer than normal
- New spaces developing between your teeth
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Bad breath
- Bad taste in your mouth
- Loose teeth
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
Factors that can increase your risk of periodontitis include:
- Poor oral health habits
- Tobacco use
- Older age
- Decreased immunity, such as that occurring with leukemia, HIV/AIDS or chemotherapy
- Poor nutrition
- Certain medications
- Hormonal changes, such as those related to pregnancy or menopause
- Substance abuse
- Poor-fitting dental restorations
- Problems with the way your teeth fit together when biting
If periodontitis isn't advanced, treatment may involve less invasive procedures, including:
- Scaling. Scaling removes tartar and bacteria from your tooth surfaces and beneath your gums.
- Root Planing. Root planing smoothes the root surfaces, discouraging further buildup of tartar and bacterial endotoxin.
- Antibiotics. Your periodontist or dentist may recommend using topical or oral antibiotics to help control bacterial infection.
If you have advanced periodontitis, your gum tissue may not respond to non-surgical treatments and good oral hygiene. In that case, periodontitis treatment may require dental surgery, such as:
- Flap surgery (pocket reduction surgery): The healthcare professional performs flap surgery to remove calculus in deep pockets, or to reduce the pocket so that keeping it clean is easier. The gums are lifted back and the tartar is removed. The gums are then sutured back into place so they fit closely to the tooth. After surgery, the gums will heal and high tightly around the tooth. In some cases the teeth may eventually seem longer than they used to.
- Bone and tissue grafts: This procedure helps regenerate bone or gum tissue that has been destroyed. With bone grafting, new natural or synthetic bone is placed where bone was lost, promoting bone growth.
In a procedure called 'guided tissue regeneration', a small piece of mesh-like material is inserted between the gum tissue and bone. This stops the gum from growing into bone space, giving the bone and connective tissue a chance to regrow.
The dentist may also use special proteins (growth factors) that help the body regrow bone naturally.
My daughter frequently suffering from mouth ulcers. She is 18 years and prefers Chinese foods like fried rice, noodles veg manchurian etc. How to cure it? what medicines shall she take to not to reoccur mouth ulcers?
I am 36 week pregnant and suffering from tooth ache, sensitivity and gum swelling. Can I take cefix 200.
Hi, I am 38 yrs old, male and I have a pain in my left gum (mouth) for last 1 months. What should I do.
I am suffering teeth problem from long time. Some doctors advice me root canal treatment and some advice for feeling. Which one is better for me. My age is 30.
I have a gum problem, some time it swell nd hve pain nd bleeding too. I used some medicine nd gel to stop gum breeding nd swelling but it doesn't work.
Hi, I am a 29 years old female and have mouth ulcer for last 2 weeks. What should I do? Please Suggest.
Oral hygiene is a very critical issue which you should not neglect at any condition. Proper oral care helps your body in maintaining good overall health and also protects you from developing oral infections and diseases. For this purpose, regularly visiting your dentist is of paramount importance and additionally following his/her advice is also necessary. Dentists usually prescribe measures such as brushing your teeth twice daily, regular and frequent cleaning and dental flossing to ensure good oral health. Here are some benefits of dental cleaning which would surely motivate you to take good care of your teeth and gums.
1. Reduces risks of oral cancer - Oral cancer is a chronic condition of the teeth and the gums in general which can be fatal if left undiagnosed. To ensure proper screening of oral cancer, you should regularly visit your dentist for a dental cleaning.
2. Prevents gum diseases - Dentists are not only concerned about your teeth, in particular, they take care of your entire oral health. Thus, a dental cleaning minimizes your risk of suffering from any kind of gum related infections or diseases.
3. Brightens your smile - The dental cleaning procedure also ensures that you have a clean and a bright smile. It not only improves your external appearance but also gives you the necessary confidence to smile. It involves picking out of even the minutest particles of food that get stuck inside your teeth so that you can have a flawless smile to boast about.
4. Ensures easy diagnosis of oral problems - It also helps in the easy detection of any kind of mild infection or severe disease that is affecting your oral health. An early detection subsequently ensures timely treatment of your condition and hence a dental cleaning is required.
5. Prevent bad breath - Bad breath is also an oral condition and can be eliminated easily. Regular dental cleaning ensures that you have a pleasant breath by helping you maintain proper oral hygiene. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dentist.