Spasril Tablet is a benzodiazepine and used for the management of anxiety disorders or for the short-term relief of symptoms of anxiety; withdrawal symptoms of acute alcoholism; and preoperative apprehension and anxiety. It is a sedative and a hypnotic medication. This medication functions by slowing down the movement of chemicals in the brain.
Before using this drug inform your doctor if you have or are:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Taking any prescription or non-prescription drugs.
- Any allergies to any medicines, foods or substances.
- A history of glaucoma.
- Liver/ lung/ muscle/ drug abuse problems or you smoke.
The dosage for this drug should be determined by your doctor based on the patient specifications. The usual dosage for anxiety disorders and sedation is about 5-10 mg, taken thrice or four times a day. For alcohol withdrawal dosage is 50-100 mg, taken orally per day.
Take exactly as directed (do not increase dose or frequency); may cause physical and/or psychological dependence. Do not use excessive alcohol or other prescription or OTC medications (especially pain medications, sedatives, antihistamines, or hypnotics) without consulting prescriber.Maintain adequate hydration (2-3 L/day of fluids unless instructed to restrict fluid intake).
You may experience drowsiness, lightheadedness, impaired coordination, dizziness, or blurred vision (use caution when driving or engaging in tasks requiring alertness until response to drug is known); or dry mouth (small frequent meals, frequent mouth care, chewing gum, or sucking lozenges may help); constipation (increased exercise, fluids, or dietary fruit and fiber may help); or altered sexual drive or ability (reversible).
Report persistent CNS effects (eg, euphoria, confusion, increased sedation, depression); chest pain, palpitations, or rapid heartbeat; muscle cramping, weakness, tremors, rigidity, or altered gait; or worsening of condition.
Treatment for benzodiazepine overdose is supportive; rarely is mechanical ventilation required; flumazenil has been shown to selectively block the binding of benzodiazepines to CNS receptors, resulting in a reversal of benzodiazepine-induced CNS depression. Respiratory depression may not be reversed.
The drug is used to treat:
Narrow Angle Glaucoma
Is It safe with alcohol?Consult your doctor before consuming alcohol.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?In case of pregnancy, you must consult the doctor.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?Breastfeeding women are advised to take proper care before using this drug.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?Caution is advised when driving or operating machinery.
Does this affect kidney function?Caution should be exercised with impaired Renal function.
How long is the duration of effect?This drug will remain active for about 48 hours to 1 week, depending on the dose taken.
What is the onset of action?The effect of this medicine will be initiated within 2 hours after its ingestion.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Spasril Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?Missed dose should be taken as soon as possible. It is recommended to skip your missed dose, if it is the time for your next scheduled dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?Consult your doctor in case of overdose.
This medicine is a kind of sedative, which is commonly used to treat anxiety, withdrawal symptoms and insomnia. The mechanism of action for the drug is not very well known, but the EEG arousal in blocked.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
Interaction with Disease
- Active metabolites with extended half-lives may lead to delayed accumulation and adverse effects. Use with caution in elderly or debilitated patients, pediatric patients, patients with hepatic disease (including alcoholics) or renal impairment. Use with caution in patients with respiratory disease or impaired gag reflex. Use with caution in patients with porphyria.
- Causes CNS depression (dose-related) resulting in sedation, dizziness, confusion, or ataxia which may impair physical and mental capabilities. Patients must be cautioned about performing tasks which require mental alertness (ie, operating machinery or driving). Use with caution in patients receiving other CNS depressants or psychoactive agents (lithium, phenothiazines). Effects with other sedative drugs or ethanol may be potentiated. Benzodiazepines have been associated with falls and traumatic injury and should be used with extreme caution in patients who are at risk of these events (especially the elderly).
- Use caution in patients with depression, particularly if suicidal risk may be present. Use with caution in patients with a history of drug dependence. Benzodiazepines have been associated with dependence and acute withdrawal symptoms on discontinuation or reduction in dose. Acute withdrawal, including seizures, may be precipitated in patients after administration of flumazenil to patients receiving long-term benzodiazepine therapy.
- Benzodiazepines have been associated with anterograde amnesia. Paradoxical reactions, including hyperactive or aggressive behavior have been reported with benzodiazepines, particularly in adolescent/pediatric or psychiatric patients. Does not have analgesic, antidepressant, or antipsychotic properties.
Ques: What is Spasril Tablet?
Ques: How long do I need to use Spasril Tablet before I see improvement in my condition?
Ques: At what frequency do I need to use Spasril Tablet?
Ques: Should I use Spasril Tablet empty stomach, before food or after food?
Ques: What are the instructions for the storage and disposal of Spasril Tablet?
Ques: How long does Spasril Tablet take to work?
Ques: Does Spasril Tablet get you high?
Ques: Does Spasril Tablet make you sleepy?
Ques: Does Spasril Tablet cause weight gain/constipation?
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.