Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ayurveda Specialists in India. You will find Ayurveda Specialists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurveda Specialists online in Mangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prasanna Kakunje
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. Prasanna KakunjeYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Prasanna Kakunje provides answers that are very helpful. one of the best doctor
Two kidneys are present on either side of the spine, above the waist. The kidneys perform important functions of cleansing the blood, controlling blood pressure and maintaining salt and mineral balances. Kidney related issues are to be treated as soon as they occur as failing to do so might lead to kidney failure, which is a serious condition.
Ayurvedic approach for treating kidney related problems
Each type of medical treatment has their distinctive approaches towards such treatment and so does Ayurvedic care. The weak body is toned up in a natural way in the first stage. The second stage is the prevention of diseases using natural remedies and the final stage is treatment through ayurvedic care.
Causes for kidney related issues and Ayurvedic care for such issues
The causes for kidney related issues are toxins, anatomical abnormalities, abiotic stress, mental imbalance, the easy entrance of microvita, and side effects of various allopathic medicines. One major reason for kidney related problems is the side effects of modern medicines or over dosage of allopathic medication. On the contrary, the medication system of Ayurveda effectively treats all the issues in a natural way without imposing ill-effects to the human body.
When to seek Ayurvedic care?
A few symptoms, the occurrence of which indicates that you should consult a doctor for checking of kidney related issues are nausea, weakness, ankle swelling, vomiting and shortness of breath. A few other symptoms are high blood pressure or urea and decreased hemoglobin. If these symptoms are due to kidney related problems, Ayurveda cure for kidney related issues is one of the best options for recovery.
Prevention of kidney failure- Ayurveda treatment to avoid dialysis
"Prevention is better than cure." If kidney problems arise, it is best to take preventive measures to avoid kidney failure. A few things that help in preventing kidney failure are controlling blood pressure, controlling blood sugar and improving breathing pattern. Diet plays a major role in preventing kidney failure. Ayurveda approach insists the change of acidic diet to an alkaline one. Diabetes and blood sugar can also lead to kidney failure. According to Ayurveda, natural remedies are available to treat chronic kidney failure patients. Dialysis can be avoided and the kidney functions can be restored with the help of a few herbal remedies in the Ayurveda approach. The level of creatinine and urea are controlled effectively by Ayurveda treatment
Recovery using Ayurveda care for kidney failure patients
Kidney damage for a period of 3 months or more is known as chronic kidney failure. The treatment of underlying cause, treatment of damaged kidneys and treatment of dhatus (body tissues) which makes up the kidneys are done in the case of Ayurvedic care. The kidneys are made up of "Rakta" and "Meda" and treating these two will lead to recovery. The benefits of using Ayurvedic medications for kidney related issues are plenty. The kidney damage is recovered, the risk of death can be reduced to a significant extent and frequency of dialysis can be minimized effectively.
A lot of smokers now are well aware of the dangers of smoking, but yet they find it hard to quit this habit. In fact, even repeated attempts to quit smoking fail after a few days as they tend to give in to a variety of withdrawal symptoms. In case you are searching for a permanent solution to de-focus and avoid tobacco intake, yoga is the way to venture out of the smoke and free yourself of the addiction.
Compelling well-being programs that plan to improve people and bring back their focus on things that help them lead a solid and happy life can be sought. In this manner, their friends and families get a chance to inhale fresh air as well. Yoga is one such measure which can be used.
Here are a couple of yoga poses that are helpful in getting rid of tobacco addiction:
- Kapal bhati pranayama (skull shining breathing procedure): This asana tends to enhance the blood flow, improve the sensory system, restore brain cells and quiet the mind. This pranayama likewise clears the nadis (the energy channels) and fights the temptation of smoking.
- Nadi shodhan pranayama (alternate nostril breathing procedure): Discharge accumulated stress, quiet your brain, sanitise and adjust your naadis (unobtrusive energy channels) with this pranayama. The nadi shodhan pranayama works effectively for some respiratory problems and helps you cope with your addiction of tobacco.
- Bhujanagasana (cobra posture): The cobra posture improves blood circulation and expands your abdomen. It lessens exhaustion and is additionally useful for people with respiratory illnesses. This yoga acts as a stress reliever and minimises the desire of smoking.
- Setu bandhasana (bridge posture): The bridge posture opens up the lungs and enhances the supply of oxygen to the body. It additionally extends different parts of the body, quiets the mind, diminishes tension, depression and stress, which keeps you far from smoking.
- Shishuasana (child posture): The child posture unwinds the body, quiets down the nervous system and eases the body from stress.
- Trikonasana (triangle posture): The triangle posture extends and strengthens different parts of the body. This yoga pose is an extremely powerful physical and mental balance for the body. It also diminishes nervousness and stress, and helps you fight the desire of tobacco.
- Sarvangasana (bear stand): The shoulder stand supplies the mind with more blood and also calms it down. It additionally mitigates stress and misery, thereby killing the desire of smoking.
- Shavasana (corpse posture): The corpse stance should be performed last as it releases the body into a profound, reflective condition of rest and alleviates tension. This yoga posture restores the body and diminishes stress and tension.
Yoga is a very beneficial form of releasing stress and tension as well as your addictions. It takes a long time to show results but the results are long-lasting and highly effective.
Diabetes is often called the silent killer. This is because you would not even know when it sneaks up on you. It may not have any symptoms initially but once you have it, you would need lifelong administration of drugs. Diabetes or diabetes mellitus, is a metabolic disease in which sugar does not get metabolized properly in the body. This means that the blood sugar levels continue to be high, threatening the normal functioning of the body.
Types of Diabetes
There are three types of diabetes. These are:
Type 1 Diabetes: this is a condition in which in which the body does not produce insulin at all. Patients suffering from this condition may need to take insulin supplements for the rest of their life, in order to properly metabolize sugar in the body. This is a very rare, genetic condition.
Type 2 Diabetes: this is a condition in which the insulin product is impaired and there is not enough insulin in the body for metabolizing sugars properly. This leads to high blood sugar and eventually, the symptoms of diabetes.
Gestational Diabetes: This is an affliction of pregnant women. Some women’s bodies may not be able to produce enough insulin at the time of pregnancy and therefore they have excess sugar in their blood stream. Gestational diabetes may be harmful for both the mother and the baby.
Diabetes Treatment in Ayurveda
For Ayurvedic treatment of diabetes, the first step is usually dietary planning and lifestyle change. Adopting a more active lifestyle, and a healthy, balanced diet low on sugars and starches, is a must. You must begin by avoiding sugars in all forms. This means you will have to get rid of rice, potatoes, white bread, sugar coated cereals, bananas, colocasia and much more. Add a lot of green leafy vegetables to your diet to improve your nutritional status and metabolism. In addition to these, also add some herbs to your diet. Ayurvedic herbs that act as natural medicine for diabetes include turmeric, bitter gourd, gurmar leaves, bael, fenugreek and many more.
Apart from diabetes Ayurvedic treatment, you could also practice yoga, which can help you improve your health. Several yogic asanas help massage your internal organs so that they are healthier and can function much better. Some of the asanas are especially beneficial for the pancreas, which produce insulin. You may have to make some changes to your lifestyle as well. For starters, you will have to maintain a more active lifestyle. You will also have to avoid sleeping in the daytime. Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol and take extra care of your feet.
Here are a few home remedies that may help cure diabetes naturally:
Juice of Bitter Gourd:
You may consume 30ml of fresh juice of Karela/ bitter melon every day early in the morning. You can also mix it with other things to make simple recipes and consume it.
How to prepare:
Separate the seeds and mix the fruit in the mixer. Add a little bit of water and mix it in the blender. Use a sieve to obtain the juice.
Small and thin pieces of the bitter gourd are cut. Fry them with some mustard oil and the required quantity of salt. Add green chillies and onions to the pan and heat the mixture for 10-15 minutes.
Aloe Vera and Ground bay leaf:
The mixture of aloe vera gel (1 tbsp), ground bay leaf (1/2 tsp), and turmeric (1/2 tsp) is recommended to be taken twice a day before lunch and dinner for effective hyperglycaemic control.
Methi seeds, also known as Fenugreek seeds, when taken by itself or in combination with other Ayurvedic herbs, can act as an effective remedy to lower the symptoms of diabetes.
How to prepare:
Grind a few Methi seeds and turmeric together and take it with a glass of milk at least twice a day.
Soak fenugreek seeds in warm water overnight followed by chewing it in the morning.
Soak 4tbsp of fenugreek seeds in about 300ml of water overnight and chew it the following morning.
Prepare chapattis with fenugreek seed powder
The powdered seeds of Eugenia jambolana (about 1 tsp) should be taken twice a day with lukewarm water. Jamun has the beneficial property of not allowing the starch in food to get converted into sugar.
Amla juice (Embelica officinalis) (20 ml) two times a day is beneficial for a diabetic patient. You may also use powdered ‘Amla’ powder and consume it twice a day.
Banyan Tree Bark:
A decoction of the bark of banyan tree is taken (50 ml) twice a day.
Preparation method: 20 gm of the banyan tree bark is boiled in 4 glasses of water. Evaporate the water until only about one glass of the decoction is remaining and drink it when it is warm.
Cinnamon powder is probably considered as one of the most important home remedies.
How to prepare: Add 3-4 Tbsp of cinnamon powder and add to one litre of water and boil the same for about 20 minutes. Strain this mixture and cool the same. It is recommended to consume it every day.
Vitiligo, often known as leukoderma, is a specific kind of skin whitening disease resulting in white patches all over the skin. A gradual loss of pigment layers on the skin surface results in the patches. This type of skin disorder becomes socially challenging for the sufferers. As the discolouration of skin and the patches all over the body start getting noticed by people, the patients get depressed. But they should stay positive as the treatment of vitiligo with Ayurveda has proven to be one of the safest cure methodologies.
Vitiligo generally starts with small spots on exposed areas; especially the bone joints, which are the first areas to be affected by vitiligo. Due to the lack of blood circulation, the bone joints are inclined to get affected by vitiligo. Gradually the spots on the skin turn into white patches. This disease has nothing to do with germs or bad blood. Rather it is caused by de-pigmentation issues on skin layers.
Factors responsible for vitiligo
Women are more prone to vitiligo than men. The factors that cause vitiligo are:
Apart from these above mentioned factors, hereditary factors also trigger this type of skin disorder.
Decades of research and practices have established Ayurveda as one of the most ancient and holistic ways of treatment. Ayurveda means the goodness of all the natural elements and herbs. So treating vitiligo with Ayurveda doesn't only mean curing the disorder, but also the Ayurvedic medicines are known to enhance skin tones.
According to Ayurveda, Leucoderma is caused due to the aggravation of Pitta Dosha. Pitta is an Ayurvedic humor which symbolizes heat or fire, and is manifested in the skin. Aggravated Pitta leads to accumulation of ama (toxins) in deep layers of the skin, leading to the condition of Leucoderma.
Pitta is of five types; one of them is Bhrajak Pitta that gives coloration to skin. In the case of Leucoderma, Bhrajak Pitta is in an imbalanced state, and therefore, the skin starts losing its color and white patches appear. Along with Pitta Dosha, deeper body tissues like Rasa Dhatu (nutrient plasma), Rakta (blood), Mansa (muscles), Lasika (lymph) are also involved in the disease.
Treatment consists of pacifying imbalanced body energies, cleansing the blood and administrating herbs that restore skin color. Poor digestion is the root cause of this disease, as it causes the build-up of toxins in the tissues. An essential part of treatment, therefore, is restoring digestion. The patient will also be advised on the correct diet and lifestyle adjustments to prevent recurrence of the disorder.
One of the most effective Ayurvedic medicine for vitiligo is Agnijith. Its capability of producing pigmentation on needed areas is scientifically proven. It is capable of blocking the de-pigmentation issue on skin layers. This cream-based medicine is also known for contacting rich microbial properties, which get easily absorbed in skin and increase the level of blood circulation. Vitiligo is almost an autoimmune disorder, thus the Ayurvedic anti-vitiligo medicines are the best way to cure it.
There are a few Ayurvedic home remedies that are effective enough in removing the white patches. Turmeric is a common herb in everyone's kitchen. Applying a mixture of turmeric and mustard oil on the affected areas can help you cure vitiligo.
Bakuchi and coconut oil’s mixture is another effective remedy for vitiligo. Apply the mixture, keep it for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
Vitiligo is a special case of skin disorder, which is triggered by a low immune system or pitta dosha. So leading a good lifestyle and eating healthy food are equally important in order to get cured.
Acne is a skin condition that is characterized by formation of red bumps on your skin. It usually occurs when you have oily skin wherein, the pores of your skin may get clogged by impurities thus, resulting in acne breakouts. It may also result from the inflammation of the skin wherein, the immune system tries to get rid of the bacteria on the skin.
According to Ayurveda, acne stems from the imbalance of the doshas, primarily the “pitta dosha”. The imbalance of the “dosha” leads to accumulation of toxins in the face, which, in turn, tend to pose impediments for energy circulation in the face.
The various Ayurvedic remedies for acne are:
Diet: Diet is an important factor to consider when it comes down to the treatment of acne since what you eat is directly linked to your skin health. Limit eating oily and fried food as they tend to aggravate sebum production on your face. Include plenty of green vegetables in your diet as they provide essential vitamins to nourish your skin.
Exercise: Make sure you exercise on regular basis as it improves circulation in the body. It also keeps your weight in check thus, reducing the risk of cardiac and metabolic disorders. It also facilitates removal of toxins from your body.
Cleanse your face on a regular basis: You must follow a proper skincare regimen where you wash your face with a herbal soap at least twice daily. Don’t use harsh soaps as they can strip your face of all the essential oils, thus indirectly leading to overproduction of oil. Cleaning your face regularly is important to remove the dirt from your face, which otherwise may cause clogged pores, resulting in acne.
Use herbs: Herbs like neem and aloevera as they are good for your skin and they help in reducing the bacteria that lead to acne. You may also use lemon juice as a toner as it has certain properties that reduce oil production and tones the skin. It also has astringent properties, which facilitate tightening of the skin thus, closing the opened pores.
One of the most common problems to affect men and women of all ages is high blood pressure. If your blood pressure consistently shows a reading that is higher than 140 over 90 you may be suffering from high blood pressure. High blood pressure on its own is not fatal, but it can lead to a number of problems including strokes and higher vulnerability to heart attacks.
An unhealthy lifestyle is one of the biggest causes for high blood pressure. Thus making conscious lifestyle changes such as leading a more active life and eating more fruits and vegetables can help manage high blood pressure. Ayurveda also has a number of ways to manage and treat high blood pressure. Some of these are:
- Garlic cloves: Garlic has a number of antiseptic properties and is also beneficial towards slowing down the pulse rate and helps smoothen the heart’s rhythm. To use garlic, include it in your regular food or better still, chew 2-3 fresh, raw cloves of garlic a day.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is rich in L-citrulline, an amino acid which has the ability to lower blood pressure. It is also loaded with fiber, vitamin A, potassium and lycopenes which also help lower blood pressure levels. To benefit from watermelon, it can be eaten as it is or dried watermelon seeds can be crushed and mixed with cuscus powder and water to be drunk twice a day. The powder made from dried watermelon seeds can also be steeped with boiling water to create a tea that should be consumed every morning and evening.
- Amla or Indian gooseberries: This herb is associated with a number of health benefits and can help lower cholesterol, hypertension and help stabilize blood circulation. To use amla in the treatment of high blood pressure, crush and extract the juice of 4-5 amlas and have 2 teaspoons of this juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey every morning. This also strengthens the digestive system and prevents the build up of toxins inside the body.
- Yoga: Yoga asanas can also help stabilize the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system and thus regulate blood pressure. To treat high blood pressure, begin by sitting in the Siddhasana posture and practising the Anjali Mudra. This helps reduce stress and anxiety. Follow this by the Supta Padangusthasana and then the Matsya Kridasana. Simple anulom vilom and other such breathing exercises can also help lower high blood pressure.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Ghee is a good fat! if you know how to use It.
- Ghee, which is known as ‘ghrita’ in ayurveda, is described as ‘the best’ among lipid. Media due to its quality of inheriting and enhancing the drug potency. It is given Foremost importance for internal usage in diet or as an adjuvant medicine.
- It is extensively used in ayurvedic practice, especially in degenerative, chronic and Deep-seated diseases.
- Ghee is used as medicine by itself or as media for extraction, absorption and Assimilation of any medicine. It is used as medicine when qualities of lipids and fats Are required for treatment. It is used as solvent or base for extraction of herbo-mineral Active principles. It is used as media for absorption of lipid soluble vitamins or other Active principles in the food or medicine. It is also used as a carrier media in certain medicines to facilitate the transport of active principles across the cell membrane, which is permeable only to lipid molecules, e. G, the blood-brain barrier where transport of ‘medhya’ (which promote intellect and memory) medicines is possible if the drug is processed in lipid media.
- Ghee is used in different doses for different purposes at different timings in ayurvedic treatment. It is given in larger doses on empty stomach without food for the purpose of cleansing the body by panchakarma procedures. Whereas, if it is to increase the bulk of the body, then it is given in small quantities mixed with food. Similarly, if it is used as medicine to alleviate some disease process, then it is given in moderate doses on empty stomach.
The relevance of such usage of ghee in this era of ‘cholesterol threat’ can be explained as follows:
- Even though ghee is an animal fat, studies have shown that the larger doses given for cleansing purpose do not increase the level of ‘bad’ cholesterol, ldl. Instead, this increased the ‘good’ cholesterol hdl or sometimes did not alter the lipid profile at all.
- Alleviating doses of medicated ghee is helpful in absorption and transport of lipid soluble active principles across cell membranes, which are permeable only to lipid media. Also, ghee has the ability to increase the levels of fat soluble vitamins, especially vitamin e in the blood which is an important antioxidant in preventing oxidation of ldl in the sub-endothelial space of arteries and thus, preventing atherosclerosis and the consequent heart attack or stroke.
- Bulk promoting doses of ghee are used where there is indication for that, especially in a lean and emaciated person. In such cases, there will be deficiency of fats and fat- soluble principles. Moreover, even though ldl is depicted as ‘bad’ cholesterol, it is required in its non-oxidized form to build and repair the cell wall and hence, for all structural units in the body. So, administration of ghee in such persons will fulfill the deficient principles to build, maintain and repair those structural units.
- Many enzymes and hormones are also released and activated by lipids in gi tract and blood. Ghee stimulates biliary secretion and contraction of gall bladder. It nourishes Gi mucosa, lubricates it, enhances the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and strengthens the colonic flora of useful microbes.
- Thus, usage of ghee in suitable conditions with suitable doses of suitable preparations will render thousands of benefits due to nullification of toxins and toxic effects of drugs; increased absorption, transportation and bio-availability of the drugs used and also by acting as a media to dissolve and enhance the efficacy of the active principles in the drugs used. Hence, usage of ghee explained in ayurveda is very appropriate, if
- It is used judiciously by considering the indications and contra-indications properly.