Lybrate.com has top trusted Endocrinologists from across India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Endocrinologists online in Madurai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vijay Chakravathy
Prevention & Treatment of Diabetes
Management of Sugar Disorders
Treatment of Thyroid Disorders
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of Underactive Thyroid
Treatment of High Sugar Levels
Treatment of Hormonal Imbalance
Treatment of Hyperthyroidism
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Treatment of Male Infertility or Impotency
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Growth Hormone Deficiency
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Treatment of Gestational Diabetes
Submit a review for Dr. Vijay ChakravathyYour feedback matters!
I am 53 years old and I had 125 KG weight and random BS 285 mg/dl in July 2015. After taking things seriously the BS level has come down to 100 mg/dl fasting.
My father is 82yrs, he doesn't have any sign of diabetes but with blood test it's showing 236 without eating and 370 after food. He has to go for eye surgery. What to do?
While some couples conceive with ease, conceiving a child can be extremely difficult for others. In cases where a woman is not able to get pregnant despite having regular intercourse in tune with her biological cycle, infertility tests may be suggested to investigate the reason behind this. In most cases, these tests are suggested if a year has gone by without intercourse resulting in a pregnancy. Women may also be said to be infertile, if they cannot carry a foetus to full term.
Infertility can affect both men and women and can be triggered by a number of different reasons. In some cases, it is treatable while in others, alternative ways of having a family may need to be discussed. Hence, it is very important to understand the different types and triggers for infertility and to undergo complete infertility investigations. Some of the common types of infertility investigations are as given below.
- Blood tests: A blood test of both partners is used to assess the general health of the couple and to identify any health factors that may be impeding fertility.
- Tests for women:
- Hysterosalpingogram: This is an X ray that can identify if a blockage or any other issue in the fallopian tubes are the cause for infertility.
- Pelvic ultrasound: This is used to have a look at the anatomy of the female reproductive system and to check for fibroids.
- Laparoscopy / hysteroscopy: This is used to get a clearer picture of the ovaries, uterus and other parts of the reproductive system.
- Tracking cycle: Ovulation and the thickness of the uterus lining may also affect infertility, This can be diagnosed by tracking and assessing the menstrual cycle.
- Tests for men
- Semen analysis:This test is used to get an idea of sperm concentration, motility and the appearance of sperm in a man’s semen. In some cases, the semen may not include any sperm cells. In such cases, a follow up investigation may be required to assess if sperm cells are being created in the testicles. This is known as testicular sperm aspiration or a testicular biopsy.
- Sperm DNA: The DNA in sperm also plays an important role in fertility. This test is used to assess the sperm DNA integrity and to see how it may affect embryo development and chances of an on-going pregnancy.
Infertility treatment depends on the cause identified by the above tests and hence it is important for both partners to undergo complete testing.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
There are some commonest misconceptions about infertility and these misconceptions should be eliminated as soon as possible so that the actual facts can be known. There are many online sites where you can find detailed information on the scientific explanations regarding infertility and you can follow them.
List of myths and facts regarding infertility:
1. Myth: The menstrual cycle of a woman is for 28 days.
Fact: Normal cycle ranges between 21 to 36 days.
2. Myth: A woman can have pregnancy on the day one of menstrual cycle.
Fact: The released eggs remain viable for almost 12-14 hours and a woman can get pregnant after an intercourse done two days after ovulation and five days before ovulation.
3. Myth: Infertility occurs due to stress.
Fact: Ovulation can surely get delayed due to hormone suppression, but infertility does not occur due to stress.
4. Myth: Sperms stay active for few hours.
Fact: Sperms stay alive at least for five days.
5. Myth: Men with a higher sexual drive will have a normal sperm count.
Fact: There is no relation in between fertility and virility. Sometimes, it has been found that men having a higher sex drive do not produce sperms.
6. Myth: Women have to wait for three months to conceive after stopping the usage of contraceptive pills.
Fact: As soon as a woman stops pill usage, hormonal levels go back to normal condition, as a result of which ovulation begins immediately.
7. Myth: Only females have infertility troubles.
Fact: Both women and men suffer from infertility troubles as per the current scientific studies.
8. Myth: Ovulation occurs in a woman on the 14th day of menstrual cycle.
Fact: Ovulation can be calculated by counting 14 days backwards from the past menstrual cycle's last day.
9. Myth: Daily sex can increase conceiving chances.
Fact: During ovulation, having sex each day, especially in between 12 to 16th day of the cycle can be the best timing.
10. Myth: Fertility troubles occur at 35.
Fact: Peak fertility timing in a woman's life is 20 and this might continue until late 30s. Fertility troubles might even arrive at a younger age. With age, conception chances get declined, especially after 35.
During pregnancy, it is not uncommon for women to contract thyroid diseases like gestational hyperthyroidism and gestational hypothyroidism. The main problem, however, is that the symptoms of gestational hypothyroidism are very much similar to those which can be observed during a normal pregnancy. The difficulty in differentiating between the two is the sole reason why many pregnant women are caught unawares, eventually resulting in further complications after the first trimester.
If gestational thyroid diseases are left untreated, you and your baby may experience a ton of problems such as preeclampsia, low birth weight, miscarriage and pre-mature birth amongst others. Needless to say, if you already have a history of pre-existing hypothyroidism, then you will most certainly need more medical attention than is required.
Symptoms of gestational hypothyroidism, like high fatigue and excessive weight gain, are hardly distinguishable from those associated with a normal pregnancy. Other symptoms can also include:
- Severe constipation
- Muscle cramps
- Trouble sleeping
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Difficulty concentration
- Memory problems
- Intolerance to cold temperatures
There may be a variety of causes that are responsible for the development of gestational hypothyroidism but the most common cause is usually an autoimmune disease known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which stimulates the body's immune system to attack thyroid gland cells, leading to a deficiency in the number of active thyroid cells and enzymes, and ultimately resulting in a shortage of the thyroid hormone.
Treatment for gestational hypothyroidism is normally uncomplicated, and follows just two simple steps:-
- Proper diagnosis, via the use of a synthetic hormone called levothyroxine, which is very much similar to the hormone T4 produced by the thyroid.
- Continuous monitoring of thyroid function tests held every four to six weeks during pregnancy.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
When the sugar concentration in the blood increases suddenly and unreasonably, the resulting condition is known as diabetes. Sugar or glucose is generally used in order to provide much needed energy to our bodies. But when the pancreas dysfunctions, it leads to a problem in the insulin production. As a result, glucose or sugar gets directly absorbed into the blood, instead of getting absorbed by insulin. And this leads to the condition of diabetes.
Diabetes Treatment in Ayurveda
For Ayurvedic treatment of diabetes, the first step is usually dietary planning and lifestyle change. Adopting a more active lifestyle, and a healthy, balanced diet low on sugars and starches, is a must. You must begin by avoiding sugars in all forms. This means you will have to get rid of rice, potatoes, white bread, sugar coated cereals, bananas, colocasia and much more. Add a lot of green leafy vegetables to your diet to improve your nutritional status and metabolism. In addition to these, also add some herbs to your diet. Ayurvedic herbs that act as natural medicine for diabetes include turmeric, bitter gourd, gurmar leaves, bael, fenugreek and many more.
Apart from diabetes Ayurvedic treatment, you could also practice yoga, which can help you improve your health. Several yogic asanas help massage your internal organs so that they are healthier and can function much better. Some of the asanas are especially beneficial for the pancreas, which produces insulin. You may have to make some changes to your lifestyle as well. For starters, you will have to maintain a more active lifestyle. You will also have to avoid sleeping in the daytime. Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol and take extra care of your feet.
As an ancient science based on lifestyle related treatment methods that include herbs, massages and life changing tweaks, Ayurveda also provides various methods of managing this ailment. Here's how!
- Bitter Gourd: Known as an ingredient that is rich in antioxidants, this can be consumed to take care of diabetes. You will need to first remove the peel of at least four to five bitter gourds before crushing them to create a paste. This paste has to be put through a sieve so that the juice of the gourds can be extracted. You will then have to drink this juice every morning, on an empty stomach.
- Cinnamon: From treating coughs and colds to diabetes and other serious ailments, this is a wonder spice that can be found in most Indian kitchens. You can start by boiling a litre of water and letting it simmer on the gas for about twenty minutes. Thereafter, you can add three teaspoons of cinnamon powder to this simmering water. Strain this mixture and drink the entire batch every day to clear out the toxins.
- Fenugreek Seeds: For this, you will need to take about four to five tablespoons of fenugreek seeds. These will have to be soaked in a glass of water or about 250ml of water, overnight. In the morning, the softened seeds will need to be crushed before the mixture is strained. The water that escapes should be collected and ingested every day for a period of two months.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a powerful and well-known ingredient that is used for curing and managing many ailments. You will need to mix about half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with one teaspoon of amla powder as well as half a tablespoon of methi seeds or fenugreek seeds powder. This concoction will have to mixed in half a glass of water and taken daily on an empty stomach. This can be used by patients suffering from heart ailments as well.
- Diet: Cereals like ragi, corn, kulit, green millet, and barley are known to beneficial for patients suffering from diabetes. Leafy greens are also a must for such patients along with protein-rich foods like soya beans. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
वक्रासन योग क्या है?
वक्रासन बैठ कर किये जाने वाले आसनों में एक महत्वपूर्ण आसन है। वक्रासन ‘वक्र’ शब्द से निकला है जिसका मतलब होता टेढ़ा। इस आसन में रीढ़ टेढ़ी या मुड़ी हुई होती है, इसीलिए इसका यह नाम वक्रासन रखा गया है। यह आसन रीढ़ की सक्रियता को बढ़ाता है, मधुमेह से आपको बचाता है, डिप्रेशन में बहुत अहम भूमिका निभाता है, इत्यादि।vakrasana for diabetes
वक्रासन योग कैसे करें?
अब बात आती है कि इस आसन it को सही तरीके से कैसे किया जाए। यहाँ पर इसके करने के सरल तरीके बताया जा रहा है जिसको अच्छी तरह समझ कर आप इसको आसानी से अपने घर पर कर सकते हैं।
- आप अपने पांवों को फैलाकर जमीन पर बैठें।
- ध्यान रहे दोनों पैरों के बीच दुरी न हो।
- बाएं पांव को घुटने से मोड़ें और इसको उठा कर दाएं घुटने के बगल में रखें।
- रीढ़ सीधी रखें तथा सांस छोड़ते हुए कमर को बाईं ओर मोड़ें।
- अब हाथ के कोहनी से बाएं पैर के घुटने को दबाब के साथ अपनी ओर खीचें।
- आप पैर को इस तरह से अपनी ओर खींचते हैं कि पेट में दबाब आए। अपने हिसाब से योगासन को मेन्टेन करें।
- सांस छोड़ते हुए प्रारंभिक अवस्था में आएं।
- यही क्रिया दूसरी ओर से दोहराएं।
- यह एक चक्र हुआ।
- इस तरह से आप 3 से 5 चक्र करें।
- वक्रासन में सांस की प्रक्रिया
- सांस छोड़ते हुए आप किसी एक तरफ मोड़ते हैं।
- धीरे धीरे सांस लें और धीरे धीरे सांस छोड़े।
- लंबा सांस लेते हुए आरंभिक अवस्था में आएं।
- वक्रासन के लाभ
- वक्रासन की सावधानियां
- पेट दर्द में वक्रासन नहीं करनी चाहिए।
- घुटने का दर्द होने पर इस आसन के करने से बचना चाहिए।
- ज़्यदा कमर दर्द में इसे न करें।
- कोहनी में दर्द होने पर इसको करने से इसको बचना चाहिए।
- गर्दन दर्द होने पर भी इसको करने से बचें।