Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Orthopedists online in Madurai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cervical Traction Procedure
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Hip Resurfacing Surgery
Hip Injury Treatment
Ankle Injury Treatment
Knee Injury Treatment
Hip Pain Treatment
Ankle Pain Treatment
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Joint Mobilization Procedure
Joint Replacement Surgery
Limping Child Treatment
Meniscus Injury Treatment
Pelvic Rehabilitation Techniques
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Jaw Orthopedics Treatment
Knee Braces For Osteoarthritis Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Mathivanan. JYour feedback matters!
My wife suffer from rhumetiod artheritis now we have a 20 days baby girl because of pregnancy she dont take any arthritis medicine last 10 months but now she have pain & sweling in both hands & legs knees. She cant take those medicines right now bacause baby feed milk.. What should we do?
Hi Doctor, I am a female of 45 years old. I am diabetic from 2 years. I am keeping it in control till now. But, I have got trigger finger to the middle finger which they say will go only by operation. Being diabetic I am scared to do so. Before it was there to the middle finger, but now I am facing the pain even in the thumb. Can you please suggest me to say is there any alternative other than operation. What best can I do. Thank you.
Hi I am 28 year old. I have a problem with my knees. Slight deformity(knock knees). Due to which I often feel stress in my legs. So I would like to get fixed of this prob through surgery. So what would be the cost?
I am 49 years old male. I am suffering from elbow joint pain. I am frequently using pain relief gels, but only temporary relief. What do I do for a permanent solution?
Hello sir. I m 25 yr old. Having back pain disk problem. Without pain killer tablets I cant walk properly. What should I do sir?
I am a regular runner when I walk no pain occurs in my leg bone (peddle bone) but when I run pressure exert on my bone pain start like flip flop kindly help me out.
I filled down six month ago. At that time take medicine and relif from pain. But recently I feel so much pain entire my back even I can, t sit down for a little bit time though I take pain killer. Please suggest my medicine.
Dear Sir/Madam, I am 62 years old man and suffering from severe neck and back pain for last 15 years. I am also suffering from Cervical spondylosis. Kindly suggest the remedial measures. With Regards.
I have back pain problem from last six month .when I sit after 15 minute when I stand my left leg sleep for some time after few minute pain start in my left leg on thigh What do I do please tell me.
My mother suffering from night leg pain what should be prescribe for that leg pain since many years it is more in sole! It because of iron deficiency or hypocalcemia? Which investigation diagnose it and treatment?
Fibromyalgia is a condition characterised by chronic widespread body pains and increased responsiveness to pressure. Women are at a higher risk of suffering from this disorder than men. Fibromyalgia can be treated with physiotherapy, pharmacotherapy and combined efforts of physician and the patient.
Some of the symptoms that characterize this disorder are:
- Pain: Fibromyalgia is characterized by pain that has no apparent reason. It can affect different parts of the body and presents itself in different ways. Some people may experience a stabbing pain while others complain of a persistent dull ache. This pain may be affected by climate changes or stressful situations. There is reduced threshold to pain, because of certain chemical ( neurotransmitters) abnormalities in brain. Pain is generalized, felt above and below the waist, right and left-side of body, arms, legs, neck and back.
- Abnormal Sensitivity: Fibromyalgia patients are extremely sensitive to environmental changes that involve sight, sound and smell. For example, cigarette smoke can make a fibromyalgia patient extremely nauseous while loud music can give the person an instant headache. Lights that are brighter than normal can also make such a person feel uncomfortable. Patients have an abnormal sensitivity to pain, which leads to generalized aching of the body and tender points.
- Muscle & Joint Stiffness: Fibromyalgia patients often experience stiff muscles and joints without any form of strenuous activity or other reason. This may be localised to one group of muscles or affect the whole body. For some patients, this pain is worse in the morning or when sitting for extended periods of time. However, moving around does not provide any significant relief.
- Chronic Fatigue and Exhaustion: There are two main reasons for a Fibromyalgia patient to complain of tiredness. Firstly, the condition itself drains a person of energy even without overexerting themselves. Secondly, the pain and joint stiffness can hamper a person’s sleep and lead to sleep deprivation. Over time, this can become a vicious cycle of tiredness and insomnia. Chronic fatigue also affects a person’s immune system causing his or her energy levels to drop.
- Cognitive Impairments: Fibromyalgia patients also complain of a compromised short term memory. They often face difficulties recalling names of people they have recently met or other newly acquired information. These people may also have trouble concentrating on tasks for extended periods of time and experience mental sluggishness also known as fibro-fog.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Bowel disturbance is another common symptom of this disease. Passing stool may become difficult due to a combination of pain and muscle stiffness. With time, this problem can worsen unless addressed with laxatives. However, an over-dependence on laxatives can lead to further problems.
Apart from pain, patient experiences unrefreshing sleep and fatigue throughout the day. Other associated features can be depression, abdominal cramps, chest pain, tingling.
Lab Tests: Fibromyalgia is a clinical diagnosis. There are no definite laboratory tests. In fact, most conducted tests will turn out to be normal.
Treatment: Foremost important is an education of patient and caregivers, regarding nature of the disease. The patient needs to indulge in recreational activities and undergo supervised physiotherapy. There are potent medicines to correct the chemical imbalance in the body thereby increasing the pain threshold and leading to better quality of life. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a rheumatologist and ask a free question.