Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Audiologists in India. You will find Audiologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Audiologists online in Lucknow. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Mr. Pradeep Kumar Singh
Submit a review for Mr. Pradeep Kumar SinghYour feedback matters!
Are you experiencing severe hearing loss or turning deaf? To get back your normal hearing, you should undertake a cochlear. It is a small device which is planted in your ear via a surgical procedure. It sends impulses to the auditory nerve directly and as a result, sound signals are carried to your brain. Such an implant does not make you hear like normal again, but it helps you with sounds and knowing sounds around you such as telephones, alarms and doorbells.
How Does Cochlear Implant Work?
Cochlear implant is meant for adults and children who have sensorineural hearing loss. This is a condition which damages the tiny hair cells in the inner ear known as the cochlea. Your hearing gets impaired when these are damaged. A cochlear implant sends signals to the auditory nerve directly by skipping the damaged hair cells.
The device has two distinct parts. One part is the receiver-stimulator which is placed under the skin via surgery. The other part is the speech processor, which is worn around the back of the ear like a hearing aid. The outside device is, however, bigger in size than a hearing aid.
The receiver is placed under the skin, behind the ear through a small incision and it gets connected to electrodes. This is put into the cochlea of the inner ear. The surgery takes about some hours to be completed.
Two weeks after the surgery, the speech processor is fitted by the doctor. You will have to wear a microphone behind your ear. The processor can be connected to the microphone and worn around the ear. It can also be worn at any other place of the body, depending on your age and lifestyle.
Advantages of Cochlear Implant
The major advantages of a cochlear implant are as follows:
You may be able to hear speech at an almost normal level.
You may understand speech without the help of lip reading.
It will be easy for you to talk on the phone and listen to the television.
Your experience of listening to music will improve.
You will be able to pick up different sounds starting from soft, medium to loud sounds.
You can also control your own voice in a better way, which will make it easier for others to understand you.
A cochlear implant can be a life changing device if you suffer from serious hearing loss. The results are not the same for everyone and vary from person to person. Some people may benefit more than others.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My balendra and my age 25 and I am loss my hear day by day please give me strong solution, how can stop my hear fall plz.
When I am small I am Able to hear properly. Due to mumps I started to loose my hearing. Post that I had few hearing tests and confirmed that I lost hearing of 80% of my right ear. Could you please let me know the possible solution to into normal state. Email: g. Paralokesh32@gmail. Com.
Hello sir. I want to ask that. I am not able to hear from my left ear it is completely damaged as the listening nerve is damaged. My left ear is good. But it also started to get damage. My ear drum starts melting. It is as such that it can stuck with brain too if the bone between brain and war drum gets melted. Please suggest whether I can undergo an operation to change my ear drum. But doctor suggest me that it can either increase the hearing ability or it can also damage the present hearing power. What should I do?
The partial or total inability to hear is known as hearing loss. It can be present at birth or develop later in life.
There are a number of factors, which may cause hearing loss:
- Age - Age is the biggest factor when it comes to the loss of hearing, and you may lose the ability to hear as you age. This condition is known as presbycusis. It becomes difficult to understand high-frequency sounds like that of a child or a woman when you get old.
- Noise - When you are exposed to loud noises for a prolonged period of time, it damages your ears. This leads to loss of hearing. 5% of the total population of the world is affected by noise (the degree of suffering varies). It may be a result of continuous exposure to loud music or a sudden exposure to a loud noise like an explosion or fire cracker. Even too much use of ear phones and cell phones causes damage. Prevention - Use less of cell phones, disco, fire cracker, loud speaker.
- Hereditary disorders - Hearing disorder may be inherited by the dominant or recessive genes of parents in the child.
- Trauma - Serious injuries of the head/ears may cause loss of hearing, which may be either temporary or permanent. When damage is caused to the brain, the brain fails to process the message conveyed by the ears. So even if the ears are totally functional, a person may face the problem in hearing.
- Perinatal problems - The ototoxic effects on the fetus due to excess intake of alcohol during pregnancy lead to hearing the loss in about 64% of the infants born to alcoholic mothers. Also, premature birth can be associated with hearing loss due to high risk of being exposed to noise in neonatal units.
- Diseases of ear - Specially pus discharge damages eardrum and hearing bones. Some time also damages the nerve of hearing. Do not neglect this issue. It can be easily operated and you are safe.
Knowing about the causes of hearing loss can lead you a step closer to preventing this disorder.
- Aging effect can be prevented --- by taking nerve tonics, avoiding ototoxic drugs, and avoiding noise trauma. If hearing loss has set in best is to use hearing aid prescribed by authentic person.
- Be more aware -- You should be diligent and aware of the situations, which may risk your hearing ability and should try to avoid such situations as much as possible. Limit your exposure to sources of hazardous noises like firearms, firecrackers, concerts and pubs.
- Take precautionary measures -- If your occupation calls for working at an environment of loud noises, use earplugs or earmuffs. Also, make sure that you work in a place where employers take all the necessary measures of noise control under the federal or state regulations.
- Monitor your use of gadgets --- Monitor and control the use of hearing devices, and try to reduce the use of headphones/ earphones as much as possible.
- During pregnancy -- NO to alcohol smoking and other ototoxic medicines. To prevent genetic transfer of hearing loss, one should avoid marriage in close relatives as is done in south India and mohmadden community.
- Visit the Dr. --- For proper management of hearing loss asap. hearing loss is treatable or can be taken care !! In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!