Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Navneet Tripathi
Submit a review for Dr. Navneet TripathiYour feedback matters!
People who suffer from diabetes follow a strict diet and engage in strenuous exercises to stay healthy. However, most people tend to neglect a serious problem that may arise from diabetes. A condition known as diabetes foot may afflict your feet if proper care is not taken once diabetes is diagnosed. In fact, in severe cases, amputation may be the only way to treat diabetes foot.
How you can prevent diabetes foot
Here are some of the preventive measures you should adopt if you are suffering from diabetes and you want to avoid diabetes foot.
- Check your feet daily to see whether any crack or lesion has appeared. Check the sole of your foot too and around the ankles as well.
- Always keep your feet clean and free of dirt. The best way to do this is by using a soap and warm water. Apply a moisturizer once you are done cleaning them.
- Make sure that your shoes and footwear are appropriate. This means that they should not be too tight and neither should they be too loose. Ensure that your toes are not crammed into the shoe and that you can move them freely.
- Avoid smoking because cigarette smoke reduces blood circulation in the body. If the blood does not circulate properly, it may cause diabetes foot.
- Now that you know the preventative measures for the condition, you should also be aware of the treatment for the same.
Treatment for diabetes foot
Treatment for foot diabetes ulcers should be started as soon as the first symptoms appear or as soon as a qualified physician diagnoses the same. If left untreated, the disease can lead to further complication or even amputation of the limb. Here is a look at the viable ways of treating foot ulcers.
- Keep the ulcer region dry and covered at all times, in order to minimize the infection.
- Blood glucose levels must be regulated so that healing occurs naturally.
- Doctors may suggest topical ointments which must be applied daily to the wound.
- Soft and loose-fitting shoes should be worn, in case you are suffering from foot diabetes ulcers. This will prevent the wound from getting damaged.
- Patients are also advised to avoid walking too much before the ulcer has healed completely.
Consult a physician immediately if you feel some damage in your feet and you think that you may be afflicted with the ulcer in the feet. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!