Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Cardiologists in India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Lucknow and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Intra - Arterial Thrombolysis Procedures
Treatment Of Restenosis
Submit a review for Dr. Ashutosh VashisthaYour feedback matters!
1. Uncontrolled diabetes
3. Smoking (very strong factor)
5. Family history of heart disease
6. Stress and angry nature
7. High ldl (bad cholesterol)
8. Low hdl (good cholesterol)
9. Sedentary lifestyle (lack of exercise)
10. Older age.
11. Indians are in high risk group,
Some other factors like men are more susceptible, and post menopausal women are at more risk of having a coronary artery disease (heart attack).
If you have single factors from above given list, you are at a lesser risk, but if you have multiple- (3 to 4 or more) factors. You must take a good care and heal the cause.
If you are concerned about your heart’s health, it is important for you to make some dietary modifications. Simple changes in your everyday diet may offer benefits, which help in preventing future heart problems. If you suffer from high blood pressure or high cholesterol or have atrial fibrillation.
Here are some tips regarding the best diet for protecting your heart:
- Believe in the food hype: Having healthy meals is certainly beneficial and makes a big difference to your heart health. Consuming meals which contain vegetables, grains, low fat dairy and lean meat will allow you to live a longer and healthier life.
- Avoid crash diets: A crash diet may be effective, if you want to fit in a dress within one month. However, for improving your heart health, undertaking different fad diets is not useful. Meals in which a certain type of nutrients such as carbohydrates or fats are ruled out are not beneficial as well. You should have a sensible approach towards your diet and focus on food products such as vegetables, whole grains and lean meat.
- Do not overeat: Overeating will lead to weight gain and commonly, many people get heart attack after taking a big meal.
- Eat less salt: You should consume less amount of salt in your diet and do not eat more than one teaspoon of salt a day. Avoid any food item which contains high amounts of sodium. Salt is responsible for increasing blood pressure.
- Limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine: In case you suffer from atrial fibrillation, you should avoid caffeine and any other stimulant as they tend to trigger the symptoms. You must drink moderately as consuming more than one drink a day increases your risks of having heart problems.
- Choose meat wisely: You should avoid red meat, which contains large amount of saturated fats as these are not good for the heart. You should choose the leanest cuts of meats and trim all fat from it. You should opt for cuts such as flank, rump roast, tenderloin and sirloin. Pork tenderloin, chicken and turkey breast are other alternatives.
- Add fish to your diet: Fish is essential for improving your heart health. Try to avoid having deep fried fish and choose grilled fish or roasted fish, which are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Consume fishes like tuna, salmon, trout and sardines.
You should also add whole grains to your diet. They are effective in controlling blood sugar and lower the chances of diabetes. Hence, the risks of heart diseases are less if you do not have diabetes. Whole grains also help with weight loss, which is beneficial for the heart. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.