Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Susmita Saw
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Susmita SawYour feedback matters!
The top 10 tips for living with PCOS
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is often caused by small cysts growing on the ovaries. Although harmless, these cysts lead to hormone imbalances.
Living with PCOS can sometimes be a daunting task. Many of the side effects caused by the disease such as adult acne, infertility, weight gain, and excessive facial or body hair can be difficult to control. Additionally, the emotions associated with presenting ones self to the public when facing such challenges—and an overall lack of self-esteem—can, at times, seem impossible to
But women living with pcos who adopt positive lifestyles can overcome the symptoms caused by this disease. Here are ten tips for living with, and managing, the symptoms caused by pcos.
1. Adopt healthy eating habits.
All women with pcos can benefit from adopting healthy eating habits. By eating a diet low in carbohydrates and refined sugars you can help reverse the imbalances of glucose and insulin in your body that cause pcos symptoms to flair up.
2. Fit exercise into your daily routine.
Although everyone should find time to exercise, it is especially important for women with pcos to fit some form of exercise into their daily routine. Whether it is a 20-minute walk, playing outside with your kids, or going to a pilates class, exercise has proven to boost metabolism and burn calories which helps to control insulin levels and, in turn, results in weight loss. Exercise can also help to stave off diabetes, a health risk for women in pcos.
3. Avoid stimulants.
Having a cup of coffee (or two or three …) has become such a part of our culture that giving it up may seem impossible. However, coffee and other stimulants cause increases in insulin production which have proven to have a negative impact on women with pcos. If you are serious about controlling your insulin levels, you really need to consider giving up that cup of joe.
4. Get regular physical exams.
Women with pcos have a greater risk of developing cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and some forms of cancer. They are also more likely to suffer from high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol. Meeting regularly with your doctor to monitor and treat these issues will help you stay healthy until the symptoms come under control through the adoption of healthy eating and exercise habits.
Women with pcos are more prone towards experiencing depression and mood swings. They often find themselves emotionally frustrated when their own bodies seem to purposefully work against them. Whether dealing with weight issues or having difficulty conceiving, pcos can take a toll on your emotional well-being, so take a bubble bath, watch an old movie, or do something else that you really enjoy doing. It can make the biggest difference in how you feel on the inside.
6. Seek support networks.
Although it may feel like it, you are definitely not alone in your struggle with pcos. There are thousands of women out there who are experiencing the same symptoms and emotions that you are. Do not be shy. These are the women who will lift you up when you are feeling down. If you can’t find a group then start one and promote it online, in local newspapers, via flyers and at schools, college and health clubs.
7. Ask questions.
With pcos, there is no one size fits all solution to control the disease. Symptoms vary with each person so you really need to ask questions of your physicians and do research on your own to find a regimen that will work best for you.
8. Get help if you are depressed.
Pcos can make you feel melancholy, especially given the multitude of physical and emotional challenges that can develop as a result of this disease. If you are feeling more than a little sad and cannot shake the feeling of disillusionment associated with the condition, get help. The fact is you can live a positive life even when dealing with pcos. Getting help is the first step towards achieving that goal.
9. See a specialist.
As pcos gets more attention from physicians, the media and others, there are more and more treatment options being offered. For example, insulite laboratories of boulder, co has created a five step approach that incorporates nutraceuticals, nutrition, exercise, food addiction awareness and support networks to help reverse the symptoms caused by pcos.
10. Maintain a positive attitude.
Maintaining a positive attitude is essential to realizing positive outcomes in any aspect of life. Be positive and create opportunities for yourself that can help you realize your dreams. Just because you have pcos does not mean you cannot live your best life!
Are you looking for a good body massage procedure, which will help in rejuvenating your senses and also lighten up your skin? You should go for Njavarakizhi. It is an effective Ayurvedic therapy with several benefits. It is especially good for people suffering from paralysis, arthritis, lethargy, body weakness, stress and trauma. It also helps in maintaining an ideal muscle tone and relaxes your mind.
The procedure of the Njavarakizhi may take up to an hour. First, your body will be preconditioned using oil. After you are massaged all over the body with the oil, you will be allowed to relax and lie down for some time. While you relax, Njavara rice gets cooked with milk and some herbs. Herbs such as deodar, mustard, sida and even milk and ghee are used for preparation. After being cooked, the preparation is placed in cotton pouches and used to massage your body. The pouches are gently rubbed and pressed on your body for 40 minutes. Then, the rice is applied all over body while it is still warm. After wiping it off, another type of oil is applied on your body as you relax. For making the treatment more effective, certain oral medicines may also be taken, such as Leyham and Kashayam.
Health benefits of Njavarakizhi
There are several important health benefits of Njavarakizhi, which include the following:
- Your skin is kept healthy. The skin being the largest body organ, needs proper care. This treatment is very effective in improving your skin texture and making it bright and beautiful.
- The treatment enhances your muscle tone and strengthens your muscles. In case you are experiencing body-weakness in general because of aging, Njavarakizhi is ideal for you.
- This treatment helps in lowering body cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is a major health condition in modern day and the Njavarakizhi therapy is an ideal remedy. Because of the innate effect of sweat inducing, blood circulation is regulated and cholesterol levels are lowered.
- Njavarakizhi therapy is very effective for giving relief to stress. It helps you to relax and eliminates traces of stress. The mind gets to be at rest, which allows you to calm down and relax.
- Njavarakizhi also helps in easing pain and inflammation that is associated with arthritis. Moreover, regular Njavarakizhi treatments help in strengthening your muscles and hence, you are provided with long-term relief from arthritis symptoms.
These and many other wonderful therapies are there in Ayurveda which not only cures but detoxifies your body. This is an all natural therapy which is associated with no side effects. Kindly consult to know what are the best Ayurvedic solutions for you in terms of diet, home remedies, therapies and medicines.
Hello doctor. My friend has white discharge more for past two days. Whats the reason and what should she do to recover from that. She is unmarried.
I have cesarian delivery from baby boy. Delivery date is 04/02/2017. I have pain in stitches, stomach, hip, leg, back and thigh.
I have swelling on the face eyes under arms I am also suffering from whole body ache with weakness tiredness etc low grade fever continue from dec 2016 sore thorat since may 2016 burning eyes dry mouth lips break and dry dry mouth with ulcer which. Not heal a long time white coated tongue weight gain numbness tingling in hand feet and today I have a black and red colour spot in my mouth in left side near tonsil I seen the spot I am very scared sr pl tell me the black and red spot is a sign of mouth cancer pl pl suggest what cause of my persist symptoms or other infection pl pl help I have done following test Cbc ncv crp hiv hbsag hcv bdrl urine routine / culture blood culture serum electrolyte lft rft gbp ultrasound endoscopy of stomach chest x ray ena profile ana - all normal Ra factor +ve one time value 8 But recently I have repeat ra and come negative Hsv 1+2 igg positive Igm negative I have piles grade 3 or 4 Also I have varicocele grade 3 or 4 Sr pl suggest me pl. Please I have one question My body tem is always is 97 or 98.4 to 99 My question is please suggest me is 97 to 99 is a fever or not if yes now which test I done?
My vaginal secretions usually increases during intercourse, Which makes my partner dissatisfied during that period. I want a tight vagina. What to do?
Most people associate fiber to be good for the digestive system, as it adds roughage and therefore helps in avoiding constipation. When we dig deeper, the fiber seems to do good not just to the stomach, but to the heart as well. Those who are prone to develop heart diseases should make an attempt to include more fiber in their diet and reap the rich benefits it offers.
There are two classifications of fibers
Dietary is found in diet products and functional is added fiber through various food supplements. Soluble and insoluble fiber, based on their solubility in water. Most foods contain some amounts of both. The insoluble one has more digestive benefits, as it adds to the roughage and both types have cardiac benefits.
Read on to know some of the cardiac benefits of fibers.
- Reduces cholesterol: There is good cholesterol which is essential for the body, and there is bad cholesterol that causes heart disease. Fibers reduce the amount of bad cholesterol in circulation, as it can bind to the cholesterol, in order to, remove it from the body, which otherwise would get into circulation and lead to plaque formation and heart diseases.
- Reduces blood pressure: Because the cholesterol does not circulate in the bloodstream, the blood is not as vicious and therefore the vessels do not have to exert much pressure and allows free flow. A diet changed to whole grains can show a marked difference in people with hypertension.
- Weight management: Eating fiber means more bulk and fewer calories so that a person feels full after eating smaller amounts. This is a great way to lose weight and bring pre-existing heart disease under control.
- Stroke prevention: The circulating cholesterol usually gets sluggish and settles down along the walls of the blood vessels. This attracts more cholesterol, which eventually forms, what is knowns as plaque. When this plaque attains a considerable size, it gets dislodged, circulates in the bloodstream, and can reach any of the vital organs. When it reaches the heart or brain, it can lead to heart attack or stroke. By removing the cholesterol which leads to all these complications, fiber reduces the incidence of stroke and heart attacks.
- Management of diabetes: Blood pressure, increased weight and heart diseases all are predisposing factors and have common contributing factors as does diabetes. Controlling all these helps in prolonging the onset of diabetes and reducing its severity too.
High-fiber diet mainly reduces cholesterol which helps in multiple ways to maintain not just a healthy body but also improves the overall quality of life. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
When the growth of the yeast living in the vagina increases on an abnormal basis, it may lead to a yeast infection. Yeast is a fungus and this infection is usually caused by a kind of yeast that is called Candida Albicans.
So read on to find out everything there is to know about yeast infection!
- Causes: As discussed above, this infection may be caused due to the growth of a particular type of virus. The other reasons include any phenomenon that leads to a change in the balance of the microorganisms living in this area. This can occur due to the intake of antibiotics, as well as high estrogen levels due to hormone therapy treatment or even pregnancy. The use of birth control pills during menstrual cycles can also trigger this infection. Also, other ailments in the patient's body, like diabetes and HIV infection can be the cause behind the same.
- Symptoms: Most of the time, one will experience the symptoms of this infection in the week leading up to the monthly menstrual cycle. Redness, a sore pain, itchiness and a thick white discharge are the most common symptoms of this condition. Also, skin irritation and pain during urination can occur for more severe cases.
- Treatment: Usually, it has been seen that this infection clears up on its own once the menstrual cycle starts. This happens because the blood that is discharged during the period can help in restoring the pH balance of the vagina which takes care of yeast growth. It can be recurrent or a one time infection. Boric acid capsules are the best way to treat this condition. If the infection has occurred during pregnancy, you must consult a doctor about treatment before taking any medication or home remedies on your own.
- Home remedies: Avoiding sexual intercourse or using a lubricant can help in alleviating the pain that one feels in such cases. Also, you can swap your tampons for pads during the infection and the treatment. Further, sitting in a tub of warm water can help in soothing the area. Remember to keep the area dry and clean at all times.
- Prevention: Prevention includes eating a balanced diet that will supply all the necessary nutrients to your body. Dairy products like yogurt and milk will help in preventing this kind of infection as well as plenty of fruits. Also, avoid using too many antibiotics or eating too much sugar.
Yeast infection should be treated with home remedies only when you are not pregnant. Also, you must be aware of any other ailments like diabetes before self prescribing any medicine or treatment.