Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. Subrata SenguptaYour feedback matters!
Dear sir/mam. How to increase my eyesight naturally and suggest some indian vegetable (which are easily available in markets) which helps in increasing eye sight with great positive impact on my eyes .As without glasses I can't see anything clearly which made me to release very bad. I am also trying some eye exercise.
Hello Sir, I am twenty 22 year old. I am a male. I have a problem with my eyes so I want a suggestion from you that what I should do to get get my line of sight better and what I should eat in breakfast as well as lunch to cure my eyes also want to decrease my spectacles power.
I have red eye from 3 days now tell me what should I do for curing & repair my precious eye. Please tell me an advice.
My mother age 57 yrs. diabetic patient. Last 15 days she has watery eyes. Pls suggest her medicine or eye drops.
Hi, I am 25 years old, suffering from itching in eyes and have dark circles, what should I do to get rid of this.
I am using my computer daily for more that 12-13 hours when I go in air water starts coming out from my eyes and sometimes when I am sitting also then also sometimes water start coming out so what should I need to do I can't stop using my computer because I need to do many important work on it I want to know that do I need to use any glasses or lens to protect and I k ow I keep blinking my eyes so that continues water filtering my eyes but what else should you need to in order to protect my eyes and if not done what causes can in do to my eyes and is there any medicine also for this?
As Naksha is my friend she get headache when she's exposed to Sun for much time and that lasts for long time and she's going into a depression that what's happening to me why I am getting weaker she's afraid of doctors and she has eye sight and she's using spectacles can I know the reason she gets headache regularly when she gets exposed to sun.
I have a blood clotted like spot inside my left eye ,since 4-5 years . Is it possible to get rid of it?
I have eye pain and head pain slightly two day onwards what can I do for that gives solution for this problem.
The retina is the third and innermost layer of the eye that catches light and helps us focus on things so that we can see clearly. This is one of the most important parts of the eye. The retina is made up of a number of light sensitive cells that are connected to nerve fibres. These nerve fibres help in transmitting the light into imagery through neuro impulses that reach the brain. There are many conditions and diseases that can affect this part of the eye.
Read on to know more.
- Macular degeneration: This is a common eye disease that is usually associated with aging and comes with symptoms like blurry vision and even blindness after a certain point. It can prevent a person from seeing things in a clear and sharp manner. This disease goes through a slow progression and can be of the dry or wet type.
- Diabetic retinopathy: This condition can leave one visually impaired in the long run with complete blindness. This complication usually arises when a person is suffering from diabetes. It can be proliferative or non-proliferative depending on the blood and fluid leakage as well as the severity of the inflammation in the retina. While the symptoms are very subtle, the advancement can begin at a very young age.
- Retinal vein occlusion: This condition usually happens when the veins of the retina gets obstructed or gets a blockage. This can lead to reduced blood flow to the entire area which can lead to significant vision impairment and an increase in the pressure on the eyes.
- Retinal tears and detachments: When the retina gets pulled and is subsequently lifted from its normal position, this can lead to a condition known as retinal tears and detachment. If this condition is not treated properly and on time, it can lead to vision loss in the long run. These tears can happen in smaller sections of the retina which can lead to retinal breaks causing detachments in the retina. This condition is most commonly seen in people over the age of 60.
- Posterior vitreous detachment: The vitreous is a gel like layer that allows the eye to retain its shape even as it allows the light to enter the eye and reach the retina. When the thin fibres connecting this layer and the retina get degenerated, there is a detachment that takes place between the two, leading to this condition.
- Epiretinal membrane and macular holes: The scar like tissue known as the epiretinal membrane that lines the back of the eyes. When the macular tissue gets distorted due to this membrane, a macular hole may form which can lead to progressive vision impairment.
I am using a laptop daily 8-10 hours. After using a laptop my eyes are too strain and my eyes are looking full of red? Why? What should I do.
When in morning I am go to toilet I am waiting for half an hour for removing my stool this is my daily problem and for this I am late to go to school. If I take breakfast or some food then tension is remaining for toilet in school. Please show me solutions.
My eyes itch and make a burning feeling at times. Everyday morning eyes are sluggish, as if a viscous fluid is present. Am 69 years old. As per the eye doctor, my thyroid was tested. The test result was T3 total 0.63T4 total 4.60 TSH 19. 37Consequently, I am asked to take one tab. Thyronorm 50 mcg, for two months everyday. I also have a high Triglyceride of 727.00 mg/dL. Kindly advise.
I have red eyes from last three days. And it is pained from last three day. I have also stomach problem. It is paid when I eat some fast food. I have also number of farts. My sister have also problem in mouth. When she is eat some hot foods. My mother is handicap and my father is also handicapped. They cannot walk by their own legs.
Do you think the corporate spectacle sellers (including online) with a chain of shops the optician at the corner of your road can diagnose and treat you for your eye vision problem completely accurately (even a simple case like myopia)?
Think again. Once the damage is done, it is mostly irreversible.
Signs of near sightedness (myopia)- include blurring of vision, genetic predisposition if mothers and fathers are myopic, squinting (bhengapan), eye strain headache, feeling fatigued when driving or playing sports, malignant myopia where the vision loss can be rapid due to elongation of eyeball and is irreversible. Similarly there are various reasons for presbyopia, astigmatism.
The people with high myopia may suffer from retinal detachment (laser is required for its correction).
An optometrist is incompetent/not trained to look behind your lens. If he misses the retinal detachment and does not refer you to the eye surgeon, you will have to face the consequence.
In case of compound power, it is purely the competence of optometrist which will help in determining the power of lens. Many cases are coming up with wrong power calculation. It is advisable to consult an eye surgeon before going to a spectacle shop. Once the eye power has increased, it cannot be lowered without surgical intervention.
It's for the patient to decide whether he considers optometrist (guys with degree in power calculation sitting in corporate and local eye shops, authorized to calculate eye power, competent enough to diagnose even these condition completely and afford to miss the retinal detachment and silent diseases like glaucoma or other associated eye pathology if they are present in eyes.
The patient's power will increase through incorrect or incomplete diagnosis and harm his eyes. It's your eyes, always consult an experienced eye surgeon before you go to any spectacle shop to buy your spectacles?
There are silent and irreversible disease in family like glaucoma/kala motia which have a family history, it is the duty of the doctor to ask history of such disease.
Can you expect your local optician to ask such history? if he misses your glaucoma by not checking your eye pressure, you vision loss is irreversible.
The guy sitting in spectacle shop may sell you a branded eyeglasses, give a very good deal and pamper you with snacks but what purpose it serves if the some part of your diagnosis is missed and causes irreversible loss of vision.
The optometrist is trained just in power calculation and dispensing of contact lenses. He is not trained to diagnose and treat any eye disease, look behind the lens through indirect opthalmoscope, use instruments like slit lamp.
He is incompetent to treat any eye disease like amblyopia/lazy eye.
If he is giving medicine/drugs along with dispensing of spectacles, he is most probably committing a crime.
If you are going to optometrist first, it purely depends on his training and expertise whether he is able to suspect any associated pathology or not and refers you the eye surgeon and if he misses it or makes a wrong diagnosis, the loss is yours and only yours. Lastly the optometrist will be never held responsible for wrong diagnosis.
The doctor's prescription caries a legal value and he will always advice in patient's best interest.
Dr Arjun Kumar Singh