Lybrate.com has top trusted Pathologists from across India. You will find Pathologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pathologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Samir Kumar Dhabal
Submit a review for Dr. Samir Kumar DhabalYour feedback matters!
I suffered from full body nerve pain. .I am nt able to do work for lobg time. .what is the reason and treatment for this.
Dear sir My problem in my full body. My full body pain in evening time everyday when I do work. please tell me solution. Thanks.
I am suffering from cold and cough from past three days and I also have body pain, please suggest me what can I do?
Hy. When I workout after I fell much pain in my all parts of body. What I do to relief it form pain.
Swelling or edema of the legs and hands is a very common condition and can be due to various types and reasons. The medical term is peripheral edema, the arms and legs being the peripheries. It is often due to fluid retention and in some cases, could also be due to blockage of fluid movement or excessive fluid in the body.
It can also be sudden or gradual – swelling that happens suddenly is usually due to prolonged standing or walking which leads to poor venous return. Gradual swelling is more a cause for concern and implies underlying disease.
At a cellular level, there is leakage of fluid into the surrounding tissue, which causes puffiness. In order for the kidneys to maintain fluid balance, they accumulate more fluid, which gets into a vicious cycle with both intracellular and extracellular fluid accumulation.
There are many causes for edema, but the following could be specific to vascular issues.
- Prolonged sitting or standing: When there is long periods of inactivity due to sitting with feet down or standing, there is fluid accumulation in the feet. Over a period of time, it could also affect the valve function and worsen the condition, causing it to be a chronic issue. Let's take a look at some of the common causes:
- Pregnancy: The hormones lead to overall body fluid retention, and so feet swelling is very common with pregnancy. The good news is that it subsides soon after delivery.
- Blood clots in the legs can affect blood flow, leading to swelling
- Heart failure
- Varicose veins, where there is a vascular issue leading to swelling
- Liver cirrhosis, which causes ascites and feet swelling as the main symptoms
- Lymphedema: Any improper lymph circulation also leads to hand and feet swelling
- Any tumor or infection along the path of circulation can lead to fluid accumulation, due to impaired blood/lymphatic flow.
- Skin gets stretched, shiny, and loses hair
- There could be dimpling, where if the skin is pressed for about 10 seconds and released, it could take time to return to normal
- Stiffness of the surrounding joints
- Weight gain
- Fullness of nearby veins
- Increased blood pressure
Treatment: This would depend on the cause of the edema.
- In transient cases, lifting the legs up often helps in release of the edema.
- Underlying liver or heart conditions need to be treated to relieve the edema. Diuretics, which promote expelling of fluid from the body, are often used to reduce edema.
- The infection or tumor or growth along the path of the blood vessels tree needs to be treated either with medications or surgery.
- In cases where there are vascular issues, surgery may be required.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Common cold as well as flu can give rise to various symptoms like body ache as well as a runny or stuffy nose. These symptoms may also arise as a part of other ailments like allergic cold or hay fever. Mild to moderate fever may be experienced in such conditions. One should be able to treat these symptoms at home so as to be more comfortable until the flu or cold abates. Here are a few ways in which you can treat a runny nose and body ache.
- Rest: One of the first and most important thing that you need to do in such a situation is to take ample rest so that your body gets to rejuvenate rather than getting overworked even in these trying conditions. With the help of sleep and rest, you will be able to feel fresh and the body ache will be reduced as well.
- Diet: To begin with, one will need to drink plenty of fluids in order to remain hydrated. This is one of the most important ways of treating cold and flu as the body can get severely dehydrated due to the ailments. Replenishing the body fluids can ensure that the immunity does not suffer. Also, you should have plenty of soup and vegetables so that your immunity gets a boost even as the digestive system is not overworked with overly heavy food which it may have trouble in processing due to the general weakness of the body. But you must remember to eat well and frequently as the body will not go away unless you put sufficient fuel in your system.
- Steaming: Taking hot water steam with a towel draped over your head can help in treating the runny nose. Ensure that you are sitting down at a sturdy table with the steaming kettle or pan in front of you, so that there are no upsets which can lead to burns and accidents.
- Medication: Along with these measures, you must see a doctor so that the condition may be diagnosed properly. The doctor will also check your symptoms and carry out lab tests in order to ensure that there is no infection at play. Also, the doctor can prescribe medicines accordingly with anti-allergy medication like antihistamines to treat rhinitis and peramivir, zanamivir, or other such drugs to treat the flu. These medicines can also make you drowsy and induce sleep which will help your body in getting adequate rest.
- Emergency cases: If the body ache and runny nose come with other symptoms that persistently grow, you must call the doctor immediately. These include constant painful coughing, tightness in the chest, severe sore throat, vomiting, and persistent high fever.