Lybrate.com has top trusted Pediatricians from across India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Samik BasuYour feedback matters!
My son is 18 months old. He has not started eating much food. It seems it depends on his mood. If he is in mood, he eats otherwise not. And mainly depends on his mothers feeding. I am confused whether to go for any check up or anything else ?
My son is 20 months old. Somehow I feel his height and weight is a bit less than other babies I see around of the same age. Pls let me know the average height and weight of boys of this age.
Hello mam. My baby has completed her two months but she is breastfeeding I want to know my proper diet what to eat or what to not for her better development please help me as me and her stomach not well we both passes gas so much.
I have 9 month old son still breast feeding. He bad sleeper all time more aft and night. I am plan to give him jaifal how many strokes to rub in stone. I do not know how much to give.
Hi doctor my son have constipation problem from last 6 month before he was good but now this problem at high frequency, I have consulted my local doctor's but no relief and now my son scared to sit on pot please advise my a good and effective medicine for my child thanks.
Have you heard of a health condition in which there are insufficient red blood cells in your body for carrying sufficient oxygen to all parts of the body? This condition is called sickle cell anemia and it is an inherited form of anemia. Usually, the red blood cells in your body are round and flexible and move through the blood vessels easily. In case of sickle cell anemia, the red blood cells become sticky and rigid. They are shaped like crescent moon or sickle. Because of the irregular shape, these can get stuck in the blood vessels, which slows down the blood flow.
The only potential cure of sickle cell anemia is a bone marrow transplant. Other treatment measures focus on easing the symptoms and preventing further complications. The various treatment modes are as follows:
- Antibiotics: Children with sickle cell anemia can start taking antibiotic penicillin by the age of two months. This prevents infections like pneumonia. Even in the case of adults with sickle cell anemia, antibiotics help in fighting certain infections.
- Pain-relieving medications: Several over-the-counter pain relief medications may be prescribed by a doctor for reducing pain during a sickle cell crisis. Hydroxyurea is another type of medicine, which helps in reducing the frequency of pain.
- Vaccinations: Childhood vaccinations should be given for preventing the disease in children. These vaccinations are more important for children already affected with sickle cell anemia as they are more prone to infections. Vaccines such as the annual flu shot and the pneumococcal vaccine are important for adults suffering from sickle cell anemia.
- Blood transfusions: In case of a red blood transfusion, red blood cells are removed from a supply of blood that is donated. The donated cells are intravenously given to a sickle cell anemia patient. Blood transfusion increases the number of normal red blood cell count in circulation, giving relief to anemia. Regular blood transfusions are important for children with sickle cell anemia, who are highly prone to stroke.
- Stem cell transplant: A stem cell transplant or a bone marrow transplant involves the replacement of the bone marrow affected by sickle cell anemia with a healthy bone marrow given by a donor. This is a risky procedure and is only recommended for patients with sickle cell anemia at a chronic stage.
It is recommended for you to consult a doctor on experiencing any symptom of sickle cell anemia. This is a dangerous health condition and requires proper diagnosis and treatment before it gets out of your hands.
What is link between calcium deficiency and new born child? Describe about calcium deficiency in a new born child?
My baby is just of 5 month. She is allergic to milk powder consist of lactose. Now by doctor recommendation we are providing soya milk. Is it sufficient in nutrition?
My son is 5.5 years old. His weight is 20 kg. He complaints of pains in legs very often. It happens maximum time in midnight. He does not play much as he has afternoon shift for school. Please let me know what can be the reason & remedy for it thanks.
My seven months son is having cold and he is wheezing can I keep him in air conditioner as climate is too hot.
Hello. My son is only two years old with 10 kg weight he doesn't want to eat and he only pee twice in a day. So, please help me.
What can we give as breakfast and lunch. Evening times what we can give. For 9 months baby. She is not eating. vomiting. Also tell me how to make my baby skin fair. She was very very good. So many of my relatives were telling like papa is very beautiful and last that made my papa health bad. How to overcome it. Tell me please.
Hi Doctors. My baby girl is 6 month old now. And was suffering from viral from past 3 days we did a stool test for her and got following report. Can you please confirm what does it mean Ph. = 6.5 Reducing substance = positive Color = dirty brown Form and consistency = semi -digested Reaction = Acidic Charcot-Leyden crystals = nil Pus cell = 1-2 Rbc = nil Macrophages = nil protozoa parasites = nil Helminthic ova = nil Other observations = nil.
Hello sir/mam my baby is 2 and haff months and my baby to every day to loss health so please help me.
My son is 4 month old. (birth weight is 2.75) his weight is 5.75 kg. Head circumference is 40 cm. Is it normal? Having mothers milk only. When will I start semi solid foods?
He has completed 9 months but his weight is not increasing from 5th month. His weight is still 8 kg as he was in 5th month. I am giving him diet of meshed cereals, cerelac, and some vegetables (5 meals a day ). Also to mention that he does not like mother's milk, every time he refuses that within a minute or two. Please suggest.
Sleeping trouble & bed wetting by my son of 9 years having tonsils problem as well. We sits up while sleeping also and snores as well.
Breast milk provides essential nutrients for infants and is a mix of nutrients, which include vitamins, proteins and fat that are necessary for a baby's growth. Apart from benefitting babies, breastfeeding benefits mothers too.
Here are 4 benefits of breastfeeding:
1) Provides nutrients and protection to the baby - The best food a mother can give to her baby is her breast milk. It helps your baby to grow and develop. Breast milk is custom-made by all mothers for their own babies and, thus, contains a perfect mix of essential nutrients. Breast milk contains a mixture of protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins and minerals, which are very important for the proper growth and development of the baby. It also contains many antibodies that reduce the chance of diseases and allergies. In fact, the milk's content changes as your baby grows to keep up with the infant's needs.
2) Convenience - The milk from breasts is always safe and fresh, and is precisely of the right temperature, which what makes it a convenient food for the baby. What's more, it doesn't require heating, boiling or sterilizing as such; and can be fed to the baby anywhere, anytime.
3) Benefits mothers - According to a research, breastfeeding, to an extent, provides protection against breast and ovarian cancer. It also serves as a measure of protection against weak bones in the later part of life. Calories are required in order to produce milk. So, breastfeeding helps to gradually lose weight after pregnancy as well. Moreover, breast feeding also defers the return of menstruation for a little while.
4) Continues the special relationship between mother and child - The bond between a mother and a child strengthens due to the intimacy and the closeness involved in breastfeeding. One of the remarkable facts about this is the more a baby breastfeeds, the more milk the mother produces. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.