Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prabir Bijoy Kar
Submit a review for Dr. Prabir Bijoy KarYour feedback matters!
My father, aged 74 years, is suffering from enlarged prostate problem, i. E, specially at night urine realesed slowly from prostate. We recently done his psa test, which is now 186. 3. My question is can my father be cuered from this problem and is there any chance of prostate cancer.
Am a blood cancer patient. Can I have sex with my wife without barriers. Will she get affected? Is she become pregnant. Will the baby too get affected?
Breast oncology is it helpful to have homemade wheat grass juice for lifetime. My breast pain increasing after treatment.
I have pain in my right breast after period it's little nd 10/12 days before of period feeling pain little much. Whats the reason behind this pain is it normal?
Does anyone know where Graviola tree is grown in india, its fruit has medicinal properties that can cure cancer. It is also called Sour sop.
Hello sir. Me and my wife just recently married .and we have some couple of romantic nights together. But now she is having blood clot in her nipples region. She is in real pain. please tell me a solution please. I'll be really glad.
In simple words, lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system. It begins in the infection-fighting cells of the body called the lymphocytes. Lymphocytes can be found in lymph nodes, spleen, thymus gland in the neck, bone marrow and other parts of our bodies.
Lymphoma means that the lymphocytes change and divide recklessly. There are two main types of lymphoma-
- Non-Hodgkin: The most common type of lymphoma.
Non-Hodgkin and Hodgkin lymphoma each affect a different kind of lymphocyte or white blood cell.
There is a different treatment modality for both these different types of lymphomas as the affected cells are different and so is their rate of growth. Even though lymphatic cancer is very common, it’s easily treatable. Timely diagnosis and proper treatment off course are very important. Its causes can be diverse like genetics, a weak immune system, diseases like celiac, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, infections with certain viruses, age over 60 and gender- men are more prone to getting lymphomas.
Symptoms and warning signs
- Swollen glands in the neck, armpit, or groin
- Persistent cough
- Night sweats
- Weight loss
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain
The treatment depends on the kind of lymphoma one has and how far the cancer has spread. The treatments for non-Hodgkin lymphoma are-
- Chemotherapy which uses certain drugs to destroy cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy uses high-energy rays to kill cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy uses the body's own immune system to kill cancer cells.
The common treatments for Hodgkin lymphoma are:
- Radiation therapy
Traditional medicine systems like Acupressure and Ayurveda are used as complementary systems to bring relief from the cancer.
- Cupressure is used to drain the lymph nodes affected with lymphoma.
- Triphala, a common Ayurvedic remedy is being investigated to understand its killing effects on lymphoma cells in the body. It has also been seen to ‘regress’ tumours in animal studies. Hence, Triphala is a potent anti-cancer Ayurvedic drug.
Ayurvedic herbal drugs are used to treat the lymphatic system of the patient, so that it produces normal cells. Ayurvedic Panch tikta grut can pacify the lymphatic system whereas other herbs enhance the immune system and reduce inflammation.
- Green tea has also been shown to have phytonutrients called catechins, which have anticancer properties.
- Curcumin extracted from turmeric is also able to kill human lymphoma cells. It also makes chemotherapy and radiotherapy work better against the cancer while protecting normal cells.
- Mistletoe extract is also a powerful immune-modulator.
- Carrots and broccoli also show a number of benefits when included in the diet of someone suffering from cancer.
- Foods rich in beta carotene which means vegetables and fruits of different colours have high antioxidant content which supports healing.
- Chyawan prash is very useful during chemotherapy. One must avoid Sugar.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!