Lybrate.com has top trusted Ophthalmologists from across India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Gita DeyYour feedback matters!
Retinal detachment is an emergency eye condition in which the retina at the back of the eye gets separated from the surrounding tissue and pulls away from its normal position. The retina acts as a light-sensitive wallpaper in the eye, providing a lining for the inside of the eye wall and sending visual signals to the brain. As the retina can't work properly under these conditions, one can permanently lose vision if the detached retina is not repaired immediately.
During the retinal detachment, the retinal cells gets separated from the layer of blood vessels which provides oxygen and nourishment. Usually, it begins in form of small torn area of retina known as retinal tears or retinal breaks. This condition, if not treated, leads to retinal detachment and finally permanent vision loss.
Retinal detachment has tell-tale warning signs like an increase in sudden appearance of floaters resembling cobwebs floating in field of vision. It can be coupled with flashes of light or curtain from any direction causing a loss of vision.
Retinal detachment is of three types. The most common form is Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment where a tear allows fluid to get under retina and prevents nourishment to reach retina from retinal pigment epithelium by separating them. In Fractional form, scar tissue on the retina's surface shrinks causing it to separate from the retinal pigment epithelium. This form is most prevalent with diabetes patients. Lastly, in case of Exudative retinal detachment, the fluid leaks into the area under retina without a tear or breaks in the retina. Retinal diseases or trauma to the eye are main causes for Exudative retinal detachment.
Although a person of any age can suffer from retinal detachment, but it is more prevalent in people over the age of 40. People suffering from degenerative myopia or lattice degeneration are more prone to this medical condition. People with family history of retinal detachment are also likely to suffer from the same.
Retinal detachment can be treated in many ways. The most common form is the Laser surgery in which small tears and hole are joined back to the retina. Another method is Cryopexy in which the area around the hole in frozen and helps reattach the retina. Both the above procedure are performed at ophthalmologist's clinic.
Sometimes, one may have to opt for Scleral buckle in which a tiny synthetic band is attached to the outside of the eyeball which gently pushes the wall of the eye in toward the centre of the eye placing the eye wall very close to the detached retina. Another option is vitrectomy surgery to replace the vitreous that fills the centre of the eye and helps the eye maintain a round shape.
A retinal detachment is an emergency medical condition and must be treated immediately to save one's vision. Most people have been successfully treated for retinal detachment, but ophthalmologists cannot always predict how vision will turn out. The visual outcome will not be known for up to several months after surgery. However the results are best when the retinal detachment is treated as soon as possible.
In have an eye problem. My power of we is little bit low and I am wearing spectacle of high power and I want some help.
I have a little problem. I am facing red eyes for 2days, I used pataday drop twice a day but nothing happened. What should I do?
Hi docs I've noticed a strange change in my body from past couple of years when I was the colour o my skin was pure white my hair was blonde and my eyes colour was blue as I grew the skin became a few shades dark my hair turned from blonde to brown and my eyes turned to grey colour and after that the skin and hair colour didn't changed until I was around 12 but my eyes turned green and when I was 17 I noticed that I've grown fairer and my hair was again turning blonde but my eyes have turned brown now I'm 20 years old and again I'm noticing change in my body the skin and hair are fair and brown but my eyes are turning green what is happening to my body I am perfectly fine I've grown to 6'2 and have a proper body but what is this phenomenon P.S. My parents are Indian and we belong to Punjab and we live in Punjab Is their any kind of explanation to these changes I'm really looking forward to your answers.
Sir, I feel headache after working 2/3 hours on laptop or computer. I check my eyes also that is 6/6 both eyes. This pain is not a permanent problem it occurs only 1 or 2 times in the week. What can I do?
While it's assumed that numerous eye injuries are inflicted at work, just about the same number of them may happen while at home. Luckily, most eye wounds are preventable. Find ways to prevent eye injuries, as the eyes are very sensitive and delicate.
Here is a list of some of the most common eye injuries and tips on how to prevent them:
- A lot of eye injuries happen from dust particles entering the eyes, causing itching and burning sensation. Protective glasses should be worn when doing any kind of activity in a dusty area with flying particles.
- Pencils, scissors, forks, knives and all similar sharp objects can cause a serious eye injury. Day to day household items like bungee cords, wire coat hangers, rubber bands and fishhooks are capable of causing eye injuries. You must always remain aware and super conscious while using such objects.
- While performing activities such as dusting, sweeping or lawn mowing, make sure to protect your eyes well as dust is involved.
- Children are very curious by nature. Thus, all hazardous stuff like fertilizers, acids should be kept away from their reach. These contain harmful chemicals, which may inflict fatal damage to the eyes.
- Cooking powder and spices like chili powder can cause injury to the eye. Always wash your hands after using these items, so that you don't harm the eyes if you by chance rub them with your hands.
- Precautions should be taken while dealing with heat or boiling water or oil. They may spill and cause damage to the eyes.
- Secure floor coverings and railings. On the off chance that a kid or elderly man lives in your home, use a safety gate at the top and base of stairs, and consider covering sharp furniture edges and corners with a padding material.
- While travelling in a car, abrupt jerking or breaks may cause the head to bump and cause injury to the eye. Always put on your seat belt and do not allow children to sit in the front of a car.
- Many modern toys, which are very attractive have got sharp edges because of their fancy design. Abstain children from playing with these kinds of toys.
- Laser pointers, a common fun gadget for children is very harmful and causes permanent damage to the retina. Stay away from laser pointers.
- Wear eye gear to protect your eyes during sports activities. Also wear goggles during swimming as chlorine in swimming pool water damages the eyes.
Eye injuries may happen out of nowhere. You must always remain alert to avoid eye injuries. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.
I'm 19 female. My eye sight was developing day by day. My father also had the eye sight. I'm getting worried about my eyes. If laser treatment can help me or there is any side effects? How can we improve our eye sight please suggest me.
The problem of baggy eyes are characterized by puffiness or swelling under your eyelids. Common factors like aging and genetics are often responsible for the development of under eye bags. It makes your eyes appear swollen due to fluid buildup in the blood vessels that are present around your eyes. Since the skin around your eyes is extremely delicate, which makes it prone to the development of puffiness.
The following are 4 ways that can restore the life of your eyes:
- To reduce the fluid retention: Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water on a regular basis, as water aids in flushing out the excessive salt from your system that is responsible for the development of puffy eyes. In order to reduce the risk of fluid retention, keep your head elevated while you sleep with the help of pillows.
- To treat dark circle and baggy eyes: One of the simplest homemade remedies to lessen the appearance of dark circles and baggy eyes is through the utilization of fresh cucumber or potato slices. Place the slices of either potato or cucumber on your eyes and keep it on for 5 to 10 minutes; follow the regime on a regular basis. It is proven to provide satisfactory results in lessening the severity of puffiness and dark circles.
- To reduce the swelling: Place frozen tea bags on your closed eyes for 10-15 minutes. It will reduce the persistent swelling in the eye region. Ice compresses or chamomile tea, sage broth and green tea can also be utilized to treat the swelling effectively.
- Long term prevention: A balanced diet and proper rest can help to prevent the appearance of baggy eyes and dark circles in the long run. Incorporate a lot of fresh green and leafy vegetables and seasonal fruits in your diet. Follow a diet that is low in carbohydrate content and comprises of nuts and whole grains, which are rich in vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E. Avoid excessive intake of sodium, especially the ones that contain different types of added preservatives. Carbonated and caffeinated drinks tend to increase the risk of developing baggy eyes therefore; it is advisable to keep its consumption to minimum. Get at least 8 hours of sound sleep to ensure proper rest for your eyes as lack of adequate rest tends to aggravate the problem of baggy eyes.