Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Critical Care Procedures
Treatment Of Learning Disorders
Management of Emergency Conditions
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Manual Therapy Treatment
Memory Improvement Techniques
Submit a review for Dr. Biswaran ChattopadhyayYour feedback matters!
Dear doctor, I have phobia while travelling by air! sudden mood swing ( anxiety). I would like overcome this
How to concentrate on studies? I always try to study I am not able to concentrate? Is there anyway to concentrate?
As per medical studies, bipolar disorder is a personality disorder that is said to affect millions of people around the world, as per medical studies. Extreme mood swings that take a person from a state of euphoria to depression can be called bipolar disorder. While we all go through phases of the same, the patients who suffer from this disorder will usually show a persistent swing or shift between varying moods. The severe shifts will lead to difficulties when it comes to managing one's everyday affairs in a normal manner. The symptoms and signs are also characterised by the phases and mood swings that the patient may be going through.
Read on to know more about the signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder:
- Mania: One of the extremes in mood swings experienced by the patient includes extreme euphoria or mania for no apparent, or life altering reason. Feeling overly happy and enthusiastic are the basic symptoms of this phase.
- Impulsive: The patient can end up feeling elated for a prolonged period of time, with extreme restlessness and impulsive behaviour. They may also end up getting agitated and edgy. This is usually characterised by fidgety behaviour and when the patient speaks too fast. The patient may speak too fast due to racing thoughts which overtake his or her speech and actions.
- Confidence: In this stage, the patient may also display extraordinary confidence, which may not necessarily be backed by reality. In reality, things may be very different in terms of opportunities, skills, people and other such factors. During this mania phase, the patient may also indulge in risky behaviour that gives an adrenaline rush like gambling and having sexual intercourse with multiple partners. This usually happens when the patient is bolstered by a sudden surge of unfounded confidence.
- Depression: This is the other end of the spectrum for these patients. When the mania abates, it gives to way to extreme depression and even anxiety.
- Withdrawal: The patient usually tends to isolate himself or herself from the rest of the family and social circle for a prolonged period, refusing to meet anyone on a normal basis. They also avoid contact with people whom they meet every day, which can have an adverse effect on their work and the rest of the aspects of their lives.
- Memory and Concentration: In this phase, the patient can also experience difficulty in remembering important things and concentrating on tasks. The patient may also be preoccupied with a number of things which can prevent him or her from making proper decisions. Slow speech and lack of energy may follow as a result of such preoccupation. Preoccupation with death is a common symptom of this phase. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Hi Every morning my wife gets up, her mood is bad, even small talk with her turns to big quarrel. Is she a mentally ill?
Hello. My name is sunny. Now I quit smoking. So how to clear nicotine in my body. And I never smoked.
I am a 51 years male having normal health and physical fitness. I am smoking cigarettes for the past 32 years. Previously I use to smoke a lot but now I smoke round about 8-10 cigarettes a day. In the recent past I find I am coughing a lot and sometimes it aches in the stomach when I cough. I have tried quitting smoking several times but it is very difficult for me to quit smoking completely. What are the remedies? What medicines should I take?
whenever I use to smoke cigrate anytime my whole body is starting shewring and I am not chain smoker. Mai I know the reason. I useto smoke 5 to 8 cigrate in 24 hours.
Its OK to cry sometimes, scream, throw a tantrum, seek attention at times. Its not OK to punish yourself when angry, Its not OK when you don't ventilate. Let it out..share it.
I am 22 and my hair is silky and scalp is somewhat oily I have lot f hairfall can you suggest some good shampoo along with oi. And please don't mind and do not say its due to stress or something else suggest shampoo for hair fall and good growth.
I do have a regular diet inslite of all ths I m not able to be fit n healthy. Is ds a body issue or stress of studies? please hlp me.
Sir, I am 21yrs old male. I'm continuing b.Tech. I could not understand my problems. I have very serious problem. But I have no one to discuss my problem. Daily i'm trying to sleep at night but I couldn't sleep. When I am going to bed I feel so uncomfortable. It means I couldn't control my sexual activities. Like I am holding pillow to sleep. Some other things also runs on mind which I can't say. From last 3 years I have some bad habits. Like watching porn, smoking cigarette. But from last three months I have left one activity which is watching porns. But still i am going through same problem. There are so many pressure on my head. As I am only one earning member of my home. My father left me from 2006. And another thing I have broke a relationship from last years due to some family issues. But till now I could not forgot her. Everyday I am trying to forget her but I couldn't. So for this I couldn't handle the pressure. Plz help me.
I am 21 years old, I get pain on my lower spinal part its been from abt 6 months, I have tried pain relief spray and creams but none of them work so plzzz help me.
Do you believe that the world is a hostile place and you are a victim? Are you the one who often doubts his or her abilities? If so, you might be showing signs of low self-esteem. Interestingly, self-esteem has nothing do with your actual ability or talent. Your looks, weight or skills are not responsible for your low self esteem. It largely depends upon the fact that how you value yourself.
It has been observed in most cases that self-esteem is often affected by a number of reasons, including ill-health, unpleasant memories from the past, and termination of relationships. Low self-esteem is generally marked in survivors of physical or sexual abuse, victims of racial discrimination or people who have had a traumatic past life.
If you don’t pay attention towards this issue, you might end up developing certain serious mental disorders. Low self-esteem is also the root cause behind the occurrence of mental disorders like borderline personality disorder, depression, etc. However, there is nothing to worry about it. There are certain simple things that are useful in building up your self-esteem.
Here’s all that you need to do to start believing in yourself and be confident about your capabilities:
1. Remember your strong points: Make three separate lists of your strengths; achievements and your qualities that you admire. Take help from your friends, parents and other well-wishers for preparing these lists. These lists will help you in understanding your abilities and goodness. You will be able to believe in your strengths. You must read through these lists at least once daily.
2. Be positive: Optimism and a positive approach towards life are the key to success. Your self-esteem is influenced by the fact that how you look at life. Life is not a bed of roses. It is unavoidable that you will have to face critical situations or problems in life. But, what is important is to face them with courage and a faith in your own abilities. Be positive and stop developing negative thoughts about yourself. Get rid of thoughts like ‘I am a loser’; ‘I can’t get rid of this problem’; etc.
3. Take care of your body: Your outward appearance sometimes works wonders in lifting up your inner-self and spirits. Keep yourself clean, trim your beard or hairs; cut your nails; don’t forget to floss your teeth and maintain overall personal hygiene to develop a feeling of goodness.
4. Sleep well: A good night’s sleep is essential for boosting up your self - esteem.
5. Eat right: A balanced diet is a key to good health. Eating the right food in the right way keeps your mental and physical health all right. Include minerals and vitamins in your regular meals. Avoid distractions like television or radio while taking meals.
6. Exercise: Regular workouts keep you away from mental-ill health.
7. Be cool and comfortable first: When it comes to your dressing, try to put on attires that you can carry well. Wear stuffs that you love the most. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.