Lybrate.com has top trusted ENT Specialists from across India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Aparna Banerjee
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Aparna BanerjeeYour feedback matters!
Hello, Each time i turn sides, I get a vertigo on the right side. It Happens also when i sit up from a lying position . Whats happening ? Thanks
My son is 6 years old. He has yellow mucus discharge on regular basis. No fever or weekness. He is healthy normal kid. He snores at night and may times has to breath through mouth. What do you suggest?
I haven't been able to speak since 2 days and I am having a severe throat pain, tried multiple home remedies, but didn't work, what to do? Please help me!
Sir I have little bit fever and throat pain in one day what can I do? Sir which tablet is best for this sick?
I'm 35 year old woman mujhe raat ko neend badi mushkil se aati h 4ya 5 baj jate h sir dard aur chakkar bhi aate h kya karna chahiye.
I am 19 years old and my weight is 40 kg. Each time my periods are very painful. Last time also the pain was unbearable. I took 3 pain killers on a single day from morning to night but it didn't became low. It feels like the muscles of abdomen are contracting from inside. Also there is more than usual bleeding sometimes. I am unable even to eat properly. The pain in abdomen is accompanied by pain in leg muscles and back portion especially on left side. I feel dizzy and fainting. This all happen severy time. Why is this so?
I have been suffering from tonsillitis from past 4-5 days. problem in engulfing food and water. Provide me proper medications. Please advice me for that.
I am a 50 year old male and suffering from chronic cold, cough and nose blockages since a very long time. Please advise what I should do?
I am suffering from dry cough from last week. I have an throat infection, my voice is also changed, I tried cough syrups, some tablets but that doesn't work then what should I do?
It is very common for patients with nasal obstruction to develop clogged ear as well. The back of the nose opens into a tunnel also known as the Eustachian tube. This tube goes up to the ear. In case the ears get clogged the pressure is released by popping of the ears. This is achieved by swallowing, yawning, and trying to blow the nose. When ear pops the tunnel opens and allows the pressure to release from the ear.
Reasons why nasal obstruction causes clogged ears:
- Mucosal Swelling: When the nose is obstructed, the nasal lining might swell thus making it difficult to breath. This might also lead to swelling in the tunnel of the ear causing it to shut down. Sometimes an ear pop does not happen in this condition and this is called as Eustachian tube dysfunction.
- Negative Pressure inside the Nose: In nose obstruction when the patient tries to breathe through the nose there is negative pressure. This might build up near the opening of the Eustachian tube or the back of the nose. This pressure gets transmitted to the ear and results in a negative pressure in the ear which leads to the clogging of the ear.
- Bernoulli's Principle: This principle states that in case of an inviscid flow, increase in speed of the fluid happens side by side with a pressure decrease.
Causes of Nasal Obstruction:
Obstruction or congestion of the nose leads to a stuffy and inflamed nose. In minor illnesses like fever, cold, sinus infection and flu stuffy nose can happen. This congestion might last for a week. In case the congestion is long term then the causes for it are:
- Allergies and hay fever
- Chemical and environmental irritants
- Septum deviation
- Chronic sinusitis that has lasted for too long
- Nasal polyps and benign tumors
Symptoms of nasal decongestion are runny or stuffy nose, painful sinus, and swollen nasal tissues along with mucus buildup.
Treatment for Nasal Decongestion:
Once the nasal congestion has been found and the cause behind it has been analyzed, then treatment is must. Treatment usually includes prescription medication or over the counter drugs. Medication of the nasal decongestion involves the following:
- Oral Antihistamines: These are helpful in treating allergies. Common ones are loratadine (Claritin) and cetirizine (Zyrtec)
- Nasal Sprays: Nasal sprays which contain antihistamine like azelastine (Astelin, Astepro)
- Nasal Steroids: Examples of this are mometasone (Asmanex Twisthaler) or fluticasone (Flovent Diskus, Flovent HFA)
- Over the counter or prescription decongestants