Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychologists from across India. You will find Psychologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Amrita Chakraborty
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Amrita ChakrabortyYour feedback matters!
Now i am carrying 25 weeks baby, i am continuously suffering from depression due to family problems whether it will affect my baby's growth.
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to my self all the time. Please help me.
Recently most of us were shaken by the death of the well-known television actress, Pratyusha Banerjee. Her sudden death has brought to light the very common yet under-addressed problem - Depression - that a number of youths are living with.
Most mental and emotional health issues are inconspicuous in nature and, therefore, cause more harm than they otherwise should, most people still live with a number of symptoms of depression without even realizing it or do little to address it. When the depressive symptoms last for more than 2 weeks and affect the individual's personal, social or occupational life, it is known as clinical depression or major depression. There is often a delay in opting for the treatment because of the social taboo associated with depression.
Although cases of depression can vary from an individual to the other, there are signs that one can look out for, to identify a depressed person:
- Low mood most of the time of day along with frequent crying spells
- Feeling of unworthiness and low self-respect are very common in a depressed person. Due to these feelings, the affected person may become very critical and disapproving about himself or herself.
- Lack of enjoyment and loss of interest in a depressed person makes them no longer derive pleasure from things that once gave him or her happiness.
- Exhaustion and insomnia are signs that one should look out for in a depressed individual. These are usually due to changes in sleep patterns, from sleeping a lot because of feelings of constant fatigue or due to instances of wakefulness.
- From indulging in comfort eating to losing the will to eat, predominantly loss of appetite characterizes a depressed person.
- Difficulty in recalling details and tendency to over generalize as also problem-solving issues can point to the presence of depression
- Unexplained bodily pains and aches are another characteristics of the condition.
What are the different types of depression?
Regarding the different forms of this mental health issue, it comes in several forms along with their distinct symptoms, effects, and causes. These are:
- Major depression
- Recurrent depressive disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Bipolar disorder
How can it affect your life?
More than 90% people who commit suicide suffer from some form of psychiatric illness and depression is the most common reason. The despair that usually accompanies depression makes the thought of taking one's life as the only means available to escape the pain. In addition to suicidal thoughts, it can also affect one's functioning in day to day life if help is not sought in time.
Depression is as curable as any other illness. Both medical management and psychotherapy are helpful in treatment. Type of treatment depends on patient's condition, the severity of illness as well as availability.
He remains depressed about his exam and thinks too much, how to consult him so that he could behave normally.
As I m taking stalopam 12.5 for depression low mood at morning cn I take at night as I feel dizzy all the day also cn I take lenzopam wih it. Means both together at night. As I hv taken many antidepressants I hv lost my libido very or some time erectile with no pressure. Pls sugest me the medicine. No other problem pls do help.
Is stammering or stuttering a disease? How can it be cured? Are there any medicines? How can it be controlled? Is there any exercises?
I will start with my details I am 21 years old Male studying in an engineering college in India. When I was in high school I first had the symptom of something that I am facing. I was studying and my brain start to act out. For example I am reading "The quick brown fox" but I am reading individual words and my brain is against my will to make sense of it. It was 4 years ago and now this problem has reached to my daily activities like talking to friend, eating,My brain is acting against me to talk ,against to eat. Its like I have been held prison by my mind which ceases all my activity. I am a very social person and also good in academics but recently due to acting out my body doesn't want to do anything. Everyone will feel I am just calm just needs his own space. But actually I am having tides inside the river instead of the surface. I can't talk to anyone about this and this site is the last resort .Just help me and say its normal like common cold. Thanks for reading.
I have no concentration power doctor what should I do and when I want to go for study then I sit but can't study why don't know I think about wastes things please help.
I have been addicted to smoking, alcohol I tried my self to stop. But I have gone more and more addicted towards bad habits. How to cure my addiction?
I am not able to control my feelings when I am happy I get too happy when I am sad I get too sad help please I can not focus on anything for too long and since past few days I am not enjoying my life I was a music freak now I do not feel like listening to music kindly suggest me with the medicines.
My bf doesn't understand my emotions, my feelings at all .we stay in different cities and he is always busy with work. Whenever I say something regarding this he feels I am sounding melodramatic. I feel so frustrated sometimes . What should I do?
Dear Doctor, I am experiencing panic attacks frequently and loss of sleep. This attack make me restless and can not even bear it. I am already on THyronorm 25 and Telmijub 80. As my high blood pressure is still not in control doctor advised me TwinCal 5 mg and Rexipra 5 mg. I am taking rexipra 5 mg this medicine from last 4 days. The frequency of the panic attacks is decreased but still getting attacks, palpitation, sweating, dizziness and loss of sleep. Please advise how to control this.
Depression is defined as a mental state, which is typified by pessimistic sense of insufficiency and a hopeless lack of activity. This state could be so severe that it may require clinical intervention. 'Relapse' is the term coined for the reappearance of signs of depression within six months after the patient has been cured of depression. The time period of depression relapse may be smaller than depression recurrence, but it is equally frightening in both the cases. It becomes very difficult for the patient to combat all the signs of depression and cope up with gloom, fatigue, bad temper etc. The person starts alienating himself from the rest of the world. So, it becomes necessary for him to follow an apt strategy to survive a depression relapse.
First of all, the patient suffering from depression relapse should immediately consult his or her therapist or psychiatrist and get an adequate treatment for the same. The treatment procedure may include intake of antidepressants and psychotherapy. While the treatment is carried on, you may require some tips to survive that time interval. Below are some guidelines for the same:
- Accept the Truth: Though it is never easy to acknowledge the state of mental illness, but it is the key to cope up with depression relapse. Accepting that depression would strike again and again would help you to deal with it.
- Identify the Symptoms of Depression Relapse: Instead of neglecting the initial signs of depression relapse, it is necessary to accept that depression has hit you again. It is better to leave your shame or guilt aside and consider it as a normal event. Immediately go and make your therapist aware of the symptoms you identified, so that remedial action could be taken accordingly. The first sign of depression relapse may differ from person to person. It may be lack of sensation or any sudden surge of energy. Although these changes may appear subtle but should be noted down and conveyed to your therapist.
- Seek help from others: Depression relapse gets easier to survive with the help of friends, family and loved ones. Open up about your mental state and talk freely to others. You will find that you are not alone. Constant support from your nearby people will prove very beneficial. They will keep reminding you the fact that, 'this too shall pass away'. Do not alienate yourself, instead try to socialize. Hang out with your friends and indulge in activities which bring you pleasure. Primarily it will be hard to seek joy by socializing but it will prove fruitful in the long run. Pursue your hobbies and try to relax.
Depression relapse occurs again and again, no matter how hard one tries to run away from it. So, it is better to accept this harsh truth and start following the above measures to survive Depression Relapse.