Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Amitabh RayYour feedback matters!
Sometime I have severe pain on my armpits side of my breast and my breast size also increases how can I control these problems and it happens 10 days before my periods is it normal or symptoms of any major problem.
I am suffering from enlarged prostate and related difficulties, such as get up from sleep at night 3-4 times to pass urine, feeling urgency to pass urine etc. Conducted several tests and physician prescribed Weltam 0.4 mg tablets daily once at night. I do not feel much improvement in my problem. Your valued suggestions solicited. Thanks
Dear Sir, 4 years back doctor found Breast cancer, removed left breast and took 4 cheamo therapy. Last month she was not able to feel her leg, so we took her to hospital. MRI report shown that she has brain metastases from lung cancer. Found 4 brain mets and multiple mets in the lungs. We have completed 10 Radiation cycles and took 1st chemo therapy. 3 Doctors mentioned that my mother's lifespan is 6-12 months. And incurable at this stage. Sir, my questions are. 1. Is it Curable? 2. What is her lifespan (Asking because I need to keep her happy). 3. Should I need to contact Allopathic and ayurvedic? 4. One Doc told that I need to stop cheamo therapy, because it will hurt and weaken more. Should I need cheamo? If I'm missing something please suggest me. Thank you,
Cancer, or the big C, is always in the news. Use any keyword related to cancer, and there is definitely information overload. Also, with more people surviving cancer, there are too many tales to tell. All this leads to misconceptions and myths, leaving people, who are looking for genuine information, completely confused. The following are some common misconceptions.
- Cancer is a new-age disease: There is reference to cancer in ancient Egyptian and Greek stories, so cancer is definitely not new. However, it is true that the incidence has increased tremendously with the modern lifestyle habits.
- Food items prevent cancer: There are claims that food items like kale, blueberries, green tea, broccoli, etc., can prevent cancer. It is not true. They do have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, but are not helpful in preventing cancer.
- Acidic diet causes cancer: The body’s pH is not determined by the food products that we consume. Neither acidic nor alkaline environment is healthy, and further, the body has its own mechanism to regulate pH; so go ahead and eat what you like.
- Sugars cause cancer: Sugar, believed to be the main energy source, is required for growth. Since cancer is linked to uncontrolled growth, it is believed that more sugar leads to more cancer. This again is a false notion, as there is no connection between the two.
- Screening is only for breast cancer: Agreed, breast cancer is easy to screen for, but any person with predisposition can go for periodic screening to help in early identification and intervention.
- Cancer medicines kill more than they cure: Whether it is chemotherapy or radiation, they do not pick only the cancer cells. When directed at a body part, the radiation affects the entire area. Chemotherapy targets and controls growth of a lot of normal processes, thereby affecting normal life.
- There is no cure for cancer: It is not a simple process. Curing cancer involves multiple facets – some of which may not be known or unearthed. While there are some stories, which talk about how they conquered cancer completely, there are a greater number of failures. Do not conclude on either side. Each person and each type of cancer is treated differently.
- Tight undergarments are not connected to cancer: As popularly advertised, tight underwear and underwired bras do not cause testicular or breast cancer.
- Biopsies spread cancer: This is a misconception. Most people are scared to get a biopsy as they perceive that it may spread the cancerous cells to normal areas.
This is just a short list, and there are far too many false notions. Check with your doctor to validate the information before using it to take any decision. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Oncologist.
Sir/ madam I'm 23 years old I noticed that small size ball in my left side breast I noticed this 1 and half year back some times it will be small some times it will increase the I dnt know what is this please help me to know about it thank u.
I have ceast in my prostate gland. Is it dangerous? The size has increased from. 65 to. 85 within 6 months. So is it serious?
Doctor said there is formation of cancer after fnac test but after pet scan there was no cancer and his blood afp is 6.14 IU/ml and crea is 0.8 so is there any cancer formation in his body?
How the dry fruits and nuts helpful in daily life. What is quantity to take everyday. Even the cancer patients (while taking chemotherapy and treatment) and diabetic people also can take dry fruits and nuts. Please give your opinion on this.
I am 50 y old and have been chewing gutka for the last 20 years or so. What preliminary symptoms / indications should I look out for for signs of oral/throat cancer. Can you please advice on how can I quit this habit with medical help.
I am 28 years old male I am suffering from night fall since 2 months. Second I have small hard protrusion on my prostate which see white in colour from last one year.
How to cure the meniastal seminoma which is a type of a cancer and also the price it would take to cure it.
You've probably heard that a HPV vaccine can protect women against cervical cancer. In fact, the vaccine may be most effective when given to girls and young women. However the strains against which the HPV vaccine provides protection is limited. The vaccine does provide cover against the most prevalent strains (learn all about Cervical Cancer).
What Are the Benefits of the HPV Vaccine?
The main benefit of the vaccine is protection from cervical cancer.
Two HPV vaccines are currently on the market: Gardasil and Cervarix. In 2006, the FDA licensed Gardasil, the first cervical cancer vaccine. In 2007 Cervarix was approved. However, they don't protect against all types of cancer-causing HPV. Vaccines protect against these four types of HPV:
These types are responsible for 70% of cervical cancers and 90% of genital warts (learn more about warts).
What parents should know about the HPV or Cervical Cancer Vaccine
Does your daughter need the HPV vaccine to help protect against cervical cancer?
Pap screening in girls and young women should be recommended as follows:
Within 3 years of becoming sexually active.
By age 21.
Most girls taking the vaccine will probably need fewer Pap smears taken at longer intervals over their lifetimes.
Has your daughter already been infected with HPV virus?
If so, receiving the vaccine won't prevent disease from that particular type. However, the HPV vaccine will protect against infection from the other HPV strains included in the shot.
Why Should Girls Receive the HPV Vaccine?
Full benefit of the HPV vaccine occurs only if you receive it before you're infected with any of the HPV strains included in the vaccine. That's why, vaccinating girls between ages 11 and 12 is recommended .Ideally, this is before they become sexually active. The HPV vaccine can also be given to girls as young as 9 and to girls from age 13 to 26 who have not received it earlier.
You may question whether 11 or 12 is too early to vaccinate, the vaccine has been shown to be more effective in immunizing against HPV when it is given to younger girls who have never been infected with the dangerous HPV strains.
What are the symptoms of cancer? What are its affects on human body? What are precautions for cancer?
I am 72 years old. Now I am suffering from prostate gland enlarge. Last month my PSA 10, 90 after taking medicine silodal D 8 at night. After one month my PSA 6.87. I continue with silodal. Is there any other medicine require.
Hi Doctor, I would like to know as to how to prevent cervical cancer naturally. Many thanks for your suggestions/ advice here. Sincerely,
1) vitamin c rich foods
Citrus fruits, guava, amla, tomato, green leafy vegetables all of them are high in vitamin c. This element prevents the formation of cancer-causing nitrogen compounds.
Berries top the charts when it comes to cancer fighting foods. Pterostilbene, an antioxidant found in berries is a storehouse of cancer fighting properties
3) sweet potatoes
Sweet potato is full of beta carotene. Studies have revealed that consumption of high beta carotene foods like yellow, red, green colored fruits and veggies reduce the risk of various cancers.
Omega 3 fatty acids prevents the growth of cancer by preventing the growth of cancer cells and interrupting the growth of cancerous tumor. Omega-3 fatty acids also help reduce inflammation. Along with fatty fish, one can also include a tbsp of flaxseed in your daily diet.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, acts as both an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant, and prevents cancer by interfering with aspects of cellular signaling
5) green tea
Tea contains catechins compounds, these compounds restrict the growth of cancer.
6) cruciferous vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli cabbage contain phytonutrients which may help inhibit the metabolism of carcinogens and stimulate the body's production of detoxification enzymes.
It contains lycopene which helps prevent prostate and other types of cancer.
Pomegranates are rich in ellagic acid. It slows down cancer cell growth and deactivate cancer-causing compounds.
Again, a food rich in anti-cancer substances including allicin.