Lybrate.com has top trusted Neurologists from across India. You will find Neurologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Abhijit Chaterjee
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. Abhijit ChaterjeeYour feedback matters!
Sir- on 22september morning I feel my face was bend on one side then I conceal a prof. Of medicine then neurology department doctor prescribe its a facial paralysis so continue one month medicine and exercise on physiotherapy but After some improvement it stopped then there have no improvement then I conceal another doctor and I feel my face was 90% improved but one side of my lip was not function clearly So please give me some tips what can I do?
I am 26years old suffering with seizuers past 4years, I am using levera 1000mg and oxetol 900mg but I am still suffering. Is it dangerous?
The primary aim of the treatment in patients suffering from seizure is leasing a seizure-free life without giving way to any adverse effects. This goal can be accomplished in over 60 percent people with the help of anticonvulsants. Some patients also experience adverse effects since they suffer from a seizure which is refractory to medical therapy. Here are some of the common treatment options for seizures:
- Monotherapy: Sometimes, monotherapy is given as it reduces the chance of all sorts of adverse effects and even avoids drug interactions. Moreover, this type of treatment approach is much less expensive than polytherapy since many older generation of the anticonvulsant agent comprises of hepatic enzyme which is responsible for reducing the serum level of the concomitant drug which leads to an increase in the dosage level of such medicines.
- Social And vocational rehabilitation: People suffering from problems in psychosocial adjustments after the diagnosis may also need social and vocational rehabilitation. Many physicians do not pay enough attention to the consequences that an epilepsy diagnosis may leave on the patient. For instance, people with epilepsy may have a fear of experiencing next attack of seizure and they may be unable to work at heights or drive.
- Consulting an expert: It is important to refer patients with intractable spells to epileptologist or neurologist for subsequent workup. A neurosurgical consultation may also be needed when the patient has to be treated surgically.
Importance of anticonvulsant therapy
Types of anticonvulsant therapy
Some of the anticonvulsant therapy medication may have multiple action mechanism while some have an only single mechanism of action. Some of the most common variants of the therapy include:
- Neuronal potassium channel referred to as KCNQ opener
- Blockers of unique binding sites such as perampanel, gabapentin, and levetiracetam
- H-current modulators such as lamotrigine and gabapentin
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors such as zonisamide and topiramate
- Alpha-amino 3-hydroxy 5-methyl 4-isoxazole propionic acid receptor blockers like topiramate and perampanel.
- N and L-calcium channel blockers like zonisamide, valproate, topiramate, and lamotrigine
Even though there are so many types of drugs available, all of them cannot be used for the treatment of seizures. Doctors would evaluate the condition thoroughly before prescribing a medication that can be helpful in reducing the severity of the condition.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!