Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. A. K. Sengupta
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. A. K. SenguptaYour feedback matters!
I have every thing in life good family good business enough money but I have to work very hard to earn hence have to work from morning 10 to night 10 but slowly slowly this hardworking lifestyle affecting my life terribly I became short temper feels some times to run away and live a simple life I fight with my parents bcoz all they need is to earn more and more they do not see my personal life is becoming hell everyday fights m tired of all this I need a relaxing life do not want to work more like this please suggest me any medicine to keep my mood happy.
His name is gaurav and is my friend. He smokes cigarettes daily. How can he quite smoking. Can it cause danger to his health.
I am addicted to cigarettes. But I want to quit. Even now I am trying my best to don't smoke again but it is really being hard. I need some instructions to help me quit as soon as possible. Thank you.
Now a days I am very depressed and in tension because of my studies. What should I do for studying with a free mind.
Epilepsy is a neurological disease which is characterised by recurring epileptic seizures. These seizures can be brief or can persist for prolonged periods. Vigorous episodes which last long can result in physical injuries such as broken bones. Mention that 6th February is International epilepsy day.
Causes of Epilepsy
The cause of this condition isn’t very evident; however, most medical practitioners attribute epileptic seizures to brain injury, tumours, infections in the brain or birth defects. Some doctors believe that epilepsy is caused due to genetic mutations and is an outcome of abnormal activity of cells in the brain. Other causes for this condition can be alcohol or narcotics withdrawal and electrolyte problems.
- Repeated seizures
- Impaired memory
- Bouts of fainting
- Short spans of blackout
- Sudden bouts of blinking and chewing
- Inappropriate repetitive movements
Types of Seizures
A seizure, also known as fit, is usually a brief episode characterised by uncontrollable jerking movement and loss of awareness due to abnormal neuronal activity in your brain. A collective occurrence of these seizures causes epilepsy.
There are three types of seizures an epileptic person usually encounters.
- Idiopathic: This kind of seizure has no apparent cause
- Cryptogenic: The doctors believe that there is a cause for the seizure but cannot detect it
- Symptomatic: These seizures occur due to a reason.
- Medication: Medication is the most common treatment in case of epilepsy. Drugs taken on a regular basis can stop the seizure partially. But in very severe cases, they seem to have no effect at all.
- Surgery: For symptomatic seizures which are caused due to abnormal brain function, surgery can be a way to get rid of seizures. In some minor cases, nerve stimulation in the brain and special diets can be prescribed to control the epileptic seizures.
Five facts about epilepsy you need to know:
- Epilepsy is not psychosis or madness and can be treated easily
- Popular celebraties with epilepsy include Aristotle, Alfred Nobel, Alexander the great, Sir Isaacs Newton, Martin Luther and Julius Caesar etc.
- Woman with epilepsy can have a normal pregnancy
- Newer medicines for epilepsy are effective and very safe
- Surgery can cure epilepsy in some patients. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurologist.
I lost somebody last year and then I since depressed very badly. please tell me in condition what I do.
In today’s day & age where stress is high, feelings of frustration can emerge. It is our perception that can change our current negative situation into a healthy & positive one. Another way of perceiving these feelings of frustration can be by looking at them as an opportunity to push ourselves to go that little extra mile until we achieve our objective. However, there are times when we all can go around in circles; and being in this space can be quite upsetting and lead to feelings of dissatisfaction, frustration and can even cloud our mind and judgment.
To ensure that this stage is not reached, here are a few simple steps one can approach these feelings of frustration with and eventually overcome them:
- Be present in the now: When one feels frustrated, we have a tendency to overthink and that too about many different things. It may momentarily occupy our mind but not in a constructive manner. We have a tendency to dissect all the past events in our minds and psychoanalyze ourselves, others & all situations related to the event or even remotely resembling it. The best thing to do at this point is to bring yourself back into the present moment, by calming yourself, center your thoughts on what is presently going on around you. You can do so in the following ways:
- Relax into the now: Find a space to sit comfortably, close your eyes and simply concentrate on the live events happening in your environment around you for a minute or two. Take a nice deep breathe, inhale and exhale, in through your nose and out through your mouth, very good, continue... Become aware of all that is happening around you at present- The sun shining in the sky above you, the children playing out in the garden, the vehicles or the individuals passing by. Take in all the details. Relax into this space, in the now.
- Be happy & grateful for what you have at present: Make a list of all that you have in your life that make you happy, joyous or even just comfortable. Things that we sometimes take for granted. Be grateful and happy as you make this list, this is all that is positive and good in our life, smile... It's real!! A few examples are:-
- A warm home and a roof over your head
- Clean drinking water
- Clean, nutritious, healthy food
- Access to the internet and other forms of technology that make life easy
- Your loved ones
- The point of power is in the present moment: Sometimes anger, stress and feelings of frustration can block out all that truly matters, all that is positive & good in our lives, even when it is right in front of us. It is important and very beneficial to remember that the point of power is in the Now! The present moment is when you pen down your thoughts, try to trace the root cause of your negative emotions, of the feelings of frustration. When you know the root of the problem, finding a solution becomes easy. List out possible solutions and create an action plan. Take back your power!
Take this time to relax, breathe, unwind and introspect. When you feel that you are better and ready to roll, get back up on your feet again & shine!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!