Doctor in Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Pain
Treatment of Leg Pain
Treatment of Knee Pain
Treatment of Hand Pain
Treatment of Shoulder Pain
Treatment of Foot Pain
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Treatment of Bone Fracture
Treatment of Arm Pain
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Finger Pain
Treatment of Hip Pain
Treatment of Heel Pain
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Elbow Pain
Treatment of Spondylitis
Treatment of Strains
Treatment of Slip Disc
Treatment of Ankle Sprain
Submit a review for Apollo Gleneagles HospitalsYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
very good but the pharmacy people not supporting, we were waiting with baby for medicine almost 1 hour
Excellent . Great Trouble shooter.Raised inner confidence level. At last a superb human being
was operated and now doing well
What is a slipped disc?
Injury or weakness can cause the inner jelly like portion of the disc to protrude through the outer ring. This is known as a slipped or herniated disc. This causes pain and discomfort. If the slipped disc compresses one of your spinal nerves, you may also experience tingling, numbness and pain along the affected nerve. As the lumbar spine (lower back) carries most of the body weight, it tends to âslipâ more than higher levels.
What is the anatomy of disc herniation / herniated disc/ slip disc /sciatica?
Human spine is made of up 33 bones (vertebrae) that are cushioned by discs. These vertebrae are divided by region: neck (cervical spine), mid-back (thoracic spine), and low back (lumbar spine). At the lower end of your spine, you also have the sacrum and the coccyx, which is commonly called your tailbone. Discs are present between these bones. The disks protect the bones by absorbing the shocks from daily activities like walking, lifting, and twisting. Each disc has two partsâa soft, gelatinous inner portion (nucleus pulpous) and a tough outer ring (annulus fibrosus). Together, the vertebrae and discs form a tunnel through which the spinal cords and nerve pass.
What are the causes of slip disc?
The etiology/cause of slip disc is multifactorial; there is no evidence to prove/disprove the quantitative effect of one or other. The risk factors for slip disc can be:â¨â¨â¢ life style: stress and emotional tension, poor posture -standing for long periods of time or sitting incorrectlyâcan cause slip disc, heavy physical work, lifting or forceful movement, bending, or awkward positions can really hurt your back.â¨â¢ obesity: being overweight puts pressure and stress on the back, especially the low back. Carrying excess weight aggravates other health conditions such as osteoporosis (weak bones), osteoarthritis (joint pain), rheumatoid arthritis (an autoimmune disease), degenerative disc disease (described above in the aging section), spinal stenosis, and spondylolisthesis.
What are the symptoms of herniated disc or slip disc?
Symptoms of a slipped disc include: sciatica â pain in buttock radiating to legâ¨â¢ pain and numbness, most commonly on one side of the bodyâ¨â¢ pain that extends to your arms and/or legsâ¨â¢ pain that worsens at nightâ¨â¢ pain that worsens after standing or sittingâ¨â¢ pain when walking short distancesâ¨â¢ unexplained muscle weaknessâ¨â¢ tingling, aching, or burning sensations in the affected areaâ¨â¢ sciaticaâ a sharp shooting pain that can extend from the buttock into the leg and sometimes into the foot.â¨â¢ muscle spasm, locked back, stiffness in back, morning stiffness.â¨â¢ although rare, herniated discs can cause you to lose bowel or bladder control known as cauda equine syndrome and one should seek medical advice as prognosis deteriorates with time. One can know whether this is happening to him or not if he has urgency /frequency of urination or loss of control of urination or sudden peri anal anesthesia.
When do I need to have a spine doctor opinion?
Patients with progressive symptoms in leg / back need a specialist opinion to diagnose and treat the problem.â¨â¨symptoms which need specialist attention (red flags) are:â¨â¨1. Persistent leg painâ¨2. Numbness in legâ¨3. Weakness in legâ¨4. Difficulty in walkingâ¨5. Unable to control urine / motionâ¨â¨symptoms like bowel and bladder urinary incontinence shall seek urgent / emergency opinion /management by the spine specialist.
Which tests will be needed to confirm the diagnosis?
Imaging studies / investigations help to arrive a diagnosis of slip disc / herniated disc and include:â¨â¢ x-raysâ¨â¢ mri scansâ¨â¢ disco grams, which are rarely utilized.
What are the treatment options for slip disc?
There are different options to treat slip disc depending on the severity and duration of symptoms. They may comprise of one or many:â¨â¨1. Drugs & medicationsâ¨2. Spinal injectionsâ¨3. Spine surgeryâ¨â¨drugs, medications, to relieve slip disc: medication alone is not the ultimate solution to your back pain, however during emergency or during severe pain these medicines may help you curb the suffering. paracetamol:â¨your doctor may call this an analgesic, they donât help reduce inflammation, though. nsaids (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs):â¨these will help reduce swelling (or inflammation) while relieving your pain; thatâs how nsaids differ from paracetamol.â¨â¨muscle relaxants: which will help stop the muscular spasms.â¨â¨anti-depressants:â¨as surprising as it may seem, anti-depressants can be effective drugs for treating pain because they block pain messages on their way to the brain. They can also help increase your bodyâs production of endorphins, a natural pain killer.â¨â¨opioids:â¨in the most extreme cases, and only under careful supervision, you doctor may also prescribe an opioid.â¨â¨medication warning:â¨as with all medications, you must follow your doctorâs advice precisely.
(a) injection techniquesâ¨â¢ root block injectionâ¨â¢ epidural injectionâ¨â¢ caudal block injectionâ¨â¢ facet block injection
The options of surgery are
â¢ decompressionâ¨â¢ spinal fusionâ¨â¨the spine surgery advised for slip disc can be performed in many different ways. The success rates of surgery in slip disc/ herniated disc / sciatica is 98 % and with invention of modern technology and minimal invasive surgery techniques it nears 100 %. Spine surgery can be performed in different manners:-â¨â¨â¢ conventional open surgeryâ¨â¢ minimal invasive spine surgery â key hole spine surgeryâ¨â¢ endoscopic spine surgeryâ¨â¢ microscopic spine surgeryâ¨â¢ micro endoscopic spine surgery
â¢ facetectomy: a procedure that removes a part of the facet (a bony structure in the spinal canal) to increase the space.â¨â¨â¢ foraminotomy: a procedure that removes the bony compression over foramina (the area where the nerve roots exit the spine) to increase the size of the nerve pathway.â¨â¨â¢ laminoplasty: a procedure makes more room for the spinal canal.â¨â¨â¢ laminotomy: a procedure that removes only a small portion of the lamina (a part of the vertebra) to relieve pressure on the nerve roots.â¨â¨â¢ micro-discectomy: a procedure that removes a disc through a very small incision using a microscope.â¨â¨â¢ laminectomy: a procedure for treating spinal stenosis by relieving pressure on the spinal cord.â¨â¨spinal fusion: surgery intends to stabilize an unstable segment responsible for pain, this may involve putting some screws in your spine to increase stability.â¨â¨various options of doing spinal fusion are plf /plif/tlif/ alif/xlif.
Waist to foot one nerve always pain. Few months ago I lift a 2 kg thing from that day I feel the same problem. One doctor sugest me for laser treatment he told me nerve is damaged so for reducing the I have to go for laser therapy.
Disorders that affect the knee like severe arthritis or trauma do not allow you to utilize the full range of motion of your knees. Since you use your affected knees very sparsely, they become stiff and this condition persists even after you have undergone a knee replacement surgery. You can, however, get back the normal range of motion of a healthy knee by doing the following exercises post knee replacement surgery.
- Take a stroll around the house after surgery: Walking helps your knees get back to normalcy. Initially, you need to walk using the support of crutches or canes as instructed by your therapist. Make sure that your heels and toes are perfectly aligned while you walk. Walk for 20 minutes at least twice at the initial stage and increase your pace gradually, so that, eventually you can walk freely without any support.
- Exercises to reduce swelling: Your legs or foot can become inflamed after the operation. This is not an uncommon sight. In order to reduce swelling, you need to lie flat and rest your legs on a stack of pillows, one at a time. While your leg is elevated you can apply a cold compress at the surgical site.
- Pumping exercises: Swelling will be ameliorated and your knees will be revived if you perform ankle pumps and circles. Ankle pumps are done by holding your foot and bending them up and down, whereas, circles are done by moving your feet in a clockwise and an anticlockwise direction. Both these exercises strengthen the knee muscles and reduce swelling.
- Stretching exercises: There are two very effective methods of stretching that you can perform by sitting on a chair. The first exercise involves the placing of your leg on a chair opposite to the one you are sitting on. Put pressure on your knee till you can feel a light stretch at the back of your knee. The second exercise is performed by sitting straight on a chair with the feet touching the ground. You need to push your feet outward and inward as far as possible. These exercises reactivate the motion of the knees.
- Lying kicks: This is an advanced exercise that one must perform post knee replacement surgery after some warm-up exercises like walking, ankle pumps and stretching. You need to lie flat on a mat with a blanket rolled under your knee. Now slowly raise your leg, hands-free, or using your hands. Keep the leg elevated for at least five seconds before bringing it down slowly on the blanket.
Strictly perform these routines regularly and you will start walking in no time following the knee replacement surgery. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I have a very hardly back body for pain so, now you clearly suggestion for me. Which medicines suitable for that ariesed problem.
Mere se apni beti ko zyada der tak nai uthaya jaata mere shoulder n gagrdan (neck) dard hone lagti hai. Kya kru. Pls Dr. Help me. Mera scoliosis ka operation hua tha 2000 mei.
Hello doctor now days I am feeling my body full shaking inside and I am feeling muscle stiffness and low back pain and I am feeling so much depressed and anxiety how can over come this is this due to masturbation even though I am not a regular masturbate.
My right knee acl has been tear before 2 year my non treated knee is now totally unstable. If I reconstruct my acl can I able to lift heavy weights or full recovery. What can be the cost for reconstruction.
I am 63 year old lady. I am suffering from Baker's Cyst in my left knee for the last 3 months. I take painkillers (aceclofenac) for 1 week, it is cured then after 15 days it re-occurs. Now my orthopaedic has given me medicines (Nuroday 1500 mcg (OD), Doloforce-DT (OD) and Calzomix-K2 (od) for 10 days. But its not cured, The stiffness and swelling at the back/sides of knee are same (very little reduced). It has made me unable to do my daily chores. Now I can not handle these medicines as they make me drowsy the whole day. Kindly suggest me any Homeopathic /Ayurvedic medicine. As I am told that either it will not go or reassurance will be there all life. I am desperate and it has made my life miserable. Thanks.
Disk l4 l5 mildly bulged diffusely and posture bilaterally mildly narrowing lateral recesses. I have phasing problem from last 2 months now I got MRI so I got above impression .Is it major? And what is the solution and I am getting pain back.
We have often noticed these outgrowths around the neck in a lot of people. The neck lumps are of varying size. While some may be unduly large in size, others range from being moderate to miniscule. Usually, neck lumps do not bode any cancerous development and are benign in most cases. However, certain specific types of neck lumps can often bode serious health impairments.
A lot of the neck lumps are painless and do not cause any discomfort to the patient. However, these lumps must not go unattended in either case. Especially if they are cancerous, a speedy detection is expedient to arrest any further damage. The neck lumps stem from a lot reasons. Some of the most common causes may be enlisted as the following.
- Swollen Lymph nodes: Lymph nodes are spread all over your body. They are often susceptible to infections caused by germ attacks. Infection causing bacteria or viruses often result in the enlargement or swelling in the lymph nodes. This manifests itself as neck lumps, albeit sometimes. This could also arise out of allergic reactions to certain foreign substances.
- Cancers: While a neck lump may not necessarily mean a sign of cancer, some lumps could occur due to tumor formations which unfortunately indicate a malignant growth. Radioscopy and biopsy are the usual techniques through which the malignancy of the tumors can be detected.
- Thyroid Disease: Some neck lumps occur due to an inflammation in the thyroid glands. On account of certain hormonal imbalances, the thyroid glands may swell up leading to neck lumps.
- Mumps: Mumps is a contagious disease that is caused by a viral infection in the respiratory tract. As a consequence, the salivary glands may swell up causing neck lumps. Mumps are very common in children.
- Tumour in the salivary glands: Another common cause of neck lumps are tumours in the salivary glands. On account of a variety of external as well as internal reasons, there may be an abnormal growth in our salivary glands. This leads to lumps in the neck.
The earliest signs of neck lumps should goad you to consult a doctor. While it may not be of any alarming nature, to avert any major ailment, it is worthwhile to be cautious beforehand. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!