Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Jammu. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Gurmeet Gujral
Submit a review for Dt. Gurmeet GujralYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
i am 30 years old and i am suffering from severe binge eating disorder kindly help
We often wander around, spending huge amounts to look for solutions to our health problems. We seldom realize that we can find them in our own house in the simplest forms. Apple Cider Vinegar is one such ingredient that can be your rescuer from some of the most common and persistent health issues that we face today:
- Keeps blood sugar in control: Studies show that people who suffer from type 2 diabetes and do not consume insulin can have lower glucose levels in the morning if they take two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar before bed. Some studies also reveal that consumption of a mixture of this vinegar and water before having a carbohydrate-rich meal can lower sugar levels.
- Helps in weight loss: The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar controls the appetite and in turn increases the metabolism of your body. Studies also state that the vinegar reacts with the body's process of digesting starch which ensures that not much calories enter the bloodstream.
- Relieves you from a blocked nose: The potassium content in vinegar helps to thin the mucus and the acetic acid in it kills the bacteria which causes the blockage. Consuming one teaspoon of the vinegar in a glass of water can be your way out from the sinus drainage.
- Whitens Teeth: Apple cider vinegar would do the magic if you are having yellow and stained teeth. Before you brush your teeth, all you have to do is gargle your mouth with the vinegar. It helps kill the germs in your mouth and also banishes the stains on the teeth, thus making them look whiter.
- Helps fight dandruff: The acetic acid in the apple cider vinegar makes it a tough for the yeast-causing dandruff to grow. Mix a cup of vinegar in equal quantity of water and spray it on the scalp. Wrap a wet towel onto your head and leave it on for a minimum of 15 minutes before you wash off your hair.
- Reduces Cholesterol: It is believed that apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid which helps reduce bad cholesterol. Although most researches are carried out on rats and cannot be completely reliable when it comes to humans, some Japanese studies show that half an ounce of this vinegar each day resulted in lower cholesterol levels in people.
All in all, apple cider vinegar may not prove to be a complete cure to your health problems, but like they say, precaution is better than cure.
The human body is designed to process foods with the help of fiber. The benefit of fibers is being recognized widely, and people are being advised to increase the fiber content in their food. On an average our body requires 25 to 30 g of fiber per day.
The body requires two types of fibers, soluble and insoluble. The soluble ones absorb water during digestion, contribute to stool bulk, and are believed to reduce cholesterol levels. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, oats, and barley are good sources of soluble fibers.
The insoluble ones are required for good movement of food through the intestines. These are also found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains like wheat, rice, barley, oats, etc. It takes a little planning to ensure your food is fibrous, but the benefits are a lot and long lasting.
Follow some of the following simple steps and you will see them for yourself:
- Vegetables: On a lighter note, make sure each meal of yours is as colorful as possible. Include good amount of carrots, radish, greens, legumes, tomatoes, cabbage, and any other vegetable that you like in each meal. This ensures that you get all the fiber and nutrients that you want in a meal. Baked, boiled, raw choose any form, that you like.
- Fruits: It is advisable to eat a raw fruit as compared to having its juice. The fiber content gets reduced when you convert it to a juice. Try not to discard the peel, unless it is not edible at all, pineapple or jackfruit for example. Fruits, along with vegetables, form the most natural and best source of fiber. About 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day will get you all the fiber you need for a day that is 25 to 30 g per day. Berries, pears, prunes, figs, apples, oranges, apples, pears, mangoes, pineapples - take your pick.
- Whole grains: Whether you are picking up bread, noodles, cookies, or a packet of pasta, make sure they are made of whole grains and not refined flour. Include one cereal in your breakfast. Oats, barley, wheat germpowder, flax seeds can all be good sources of fiber. Replace white rice with brown rice to get more fiber.
- Legumes: Incorporate fiber rich legumes in your daily meal, such as beans, lentils, peas or puree them for interesting dips. Adding legumes help you with the required amount of fiber intake for your body along with regular and smooth bowel movements.
- Water: Though not a direct contributor to fiber, increasing the water intake makes the fiber from the above mentioned foods more effective. It promotes better food passage through the intestines and contributes to better stool. It also reduces the bloated feeling that you get with increased fiber.
Try to gradually make these small changes to your diet and you will see the benefits almost immediately. Try including more fibrous foods to also prolong your hunger pangs, breakfast being the best way to start.
Instead of spending a lump sum amount on supplements that are marketed for athletes and fitness fanatics, you can just make a few changes to your diet and add these 5 super foods mentioned below to your daily dietary plan to increase your endurance and power. Eating whole foods rather than manufactured and processed food is recommended in this regard. Also, athletes should inculcate these food items into all their regular meals and snacks, instead of just before a big event or after exercising.
- Wild Salmon: This power food is essential for athletes because it contains high quality protein i.e. lean protein, Omega-3 fatty acids (that is anti-inflammatory) and vitamins B12 and B6. Athletes should opt for wild salmon since they are less contaminated than their farmed counterparts. Salmon enhances athletic performance and helps build muscles. It also lowers the risk of prostate cancer and chronic heart diseases, and makes recovery from injuries quicker.
- Bananas: Bananas are the favorite pre and post workout recovery food. It is loaded with potassium that helps in regulating fluids and prevents muscles from cramping or spasming and also contains vitamin B6 which is anti inflammatory and prevents cardiovascular diseases. It is easy to digest and has natural electrolytes that are beneficial to athletes.
- Nuts: Combining protein and healthy fats, nuts are natural and easy to digest. They can balance your blood sugar levels and help in breaking down carbohydrates for long durations without upsetting your stomach. Athletes with high calorie needs must consume nuts. It is rich in vitamins and minerals; unsaturated fat that is anti-inflammatory and fiber that helps stabilize energy levels.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is considered to be the most nourishing food for athletes. It is very rich in protein and has high soluble fiber content and complex carbohydrates. It is essential for athletes looking to put on weight. It is also important for maintaining glucose levels and cholesterol. It is rich in vitamin B, minerals and antioxidants.
- Sweet Potatoes: Imperative for their starchy content, sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and C, which are powerful antioxidants, and minerals such as potassium, iron, manganese, and copper that are necessary for healthy muscle function. Sweet potatoes help in lowering of blood pressure and removing free radicals from your body.
Hi I am 27 years old male. After few months I am going to be in married life. I am very thin and nervous so please suggest me for gain weight? Please help me Thank you.
Belly fat may not be a severe medical problem in most individuals. However, it looks aesthetically displeasing and can affect long term health if not controlled at the right time. However, one must keep in mind that dieting and exercising go hand in hand. One cannot rely only on one of them to reduce belly fat.
Mentioned below are a few ways to remove belly fat:
- Avoid sugar: Sugar and other sweetened products must be avoided. Excessive intake of sugar floods the liver with fructose which is then turned to fat. This leads to insulin resistance and metabolic problems. Eliminate sugary drinks and try unsweetened beverages like tea or coffee. However, caffeine, too, must be taken in moderate amounts.
- Eat protein: Protein is considered to be the most important macronutrient when it comes to losing weight. Most of the calories in protein are digested. It is the single most effective change in terms of calorie intake since it reduces your craving by 60% and boosts your metabolism.
- Limit your intake of carbohydrates: Cutting carbohydrates from your diet reduces your appetite and therefore belly fat. Consuming only 50 grams of carbohydrates per day assists in losing weight fast.
- Other dietary changes: Eat foods that are rich in fiber and do not skip meals. If you starve yourself for long periods of time, the body conserves fat by breaking down muscle tissue. This is called catabolic state. Eating in small amounts every two hours is also helpful for those looking to trim their belly fat. This helps to avoid overeating and keeps your metabolism up the entire day by processing food throughout the day.
- Track your calorie intake: It is very important to keep track of the amount of calories you consume so as to make the necessary changes in your dietary plans. You can keep track of it in a food journal or on diet-related websites.
- Exercise: Regular exercising is of utmost importance while trying to lose belly fat. Aerobic exercises, crunches (side, reverse or twist crunches), cycling, lunge twist, rolling plank exercises, captain's chair, the stomach vacuum etc. help in reducing belly fat. Other exercises such as running, jogging, cycling, walking and swimming also help in reducing weight.