Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Indore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Chemical Peels Treatment
Chin Reduction Treatment
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Vampire Face Lift Procedures
Asthma Management Program
Ayurvedic Massage Treatment
Hair Restoration Techniques
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Kerala Massage Treatment
Kshar Sutra Therapy Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Nidhi ShahYour feedback matters!
Night blindness is also called nyctalopia. It's a type of vision impairment. People with night blindness experience poor vision at night or in dimly lit environments. It is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying problem, usually a retina problem.
What Causes Night Blindness?
A number of eye conditions can cause night blindness, including:
- Nearsightedness or blurred vision when looking at faraway objects.
- Cataracts or clouding of the eye's lens.
- Retinitis pigmentosa, which occurs when dark pigment collects in your retina and creates tunnel vision.
- Vitamin A Deficiency
- Zinc Deficiency
- Dry Eyes
Are the Symptoms of Night Blindness?
The sole symptom of night blindness is difficulty seeing in the dark. You're more likely to experience night blindness when your eyes transition from a bright environment to an area of low light, such as when you leave a sunny sidewalk to enter a dimly lit restaurant. You're likely to experience poor vision when driving due to the intermittent brightness of headlights and streetlights on the road.
How can I Prevent Night Blindness?
You can't prevent night blindness that's the result of birth defects or genetic conditions, such as Usher syndrome. You can, however, properly monitor your blood sugar level and eat a balanced diet to make night blindness less likely.
Orange colored foods are excellent sources of vitamin A, including:
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut squash
What are the Treatment Options for Night Blindness?
The treatment will depend on its causes.
- Nutrient deficiency (Vitamin A and Zinc) is the easiest to treat.
- If the cause is cataract, you can go for cataract surgery to remove the clouded lens and replace it with artificial intraocular lens. Vision is usually dramatically improved after surgery.
- For dry eye syndrome, lubricate your eyes with artificial tear drops as they provide instant relief. Just make sure that they are without preservatives.
- Diabetic retinopathy can be prevented with tight control over blood sugar, active lifestyle and good dietary habits.
- As for retinitis pigmentosa, unfortunately there are no treatments available. Thankfully, new research is showing that vitamin A might have a slowing effect on the progression of this eye disease. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.
I m 23 years old and I am just of 60 kg so I look to slim. So what should I do to increase my weight as soon as possible.
Within the last nine years I had fungal infection in between legs thrice or four times. As per doctor's direction I took AF-150 tablet and miconazole Nitrate gel and got cured. But always there has been a white colour due to infection and a bad smell. What can I do to get the natural colour of the skin back and to get rid of the bad smell?
I am 20 years old female. I am getting pain in the vagina from quite some days n when I drink water I get little relief but then it starts again. Is it cause of the weather or some other reason.
is it compulsory to have or get AC in our rooms or stay in AC to look or get fair skin and to become fair and stay fair? Does AC is important for to get fair skin and clear glowing healthy skin ? tell me please
I am losing hair quickly that is hair fall too much try to some shampoo n oil but no effect to control hairfall n my hair to too thin please suggest me treatment oil n shampoo.
When there is a deficiency of vitamin c you can suffer from gum disease. This is the reason it is best that you take to some of the citrus fruits and vegetables like lemon, orange and cabbage and broccoli. In fact, you should have plenty of these eatables in order to help manage the deficiency. If you prefer you can opt for health supplements and this way you can have the perfect providing of vitamin c. The right intake of vitamin c will help you have the perfect gum structure