Doctors in Mahaveer Hospital
Treatment of Headaches
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Neck Pain
Treatment of Painful Teething
Treatment of Stained Teeth
Treatment of Forgetfulness
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Toothache
Treatment of Hypertension
Treatment of Cavities
Root Canal Treatment
Treatment of Heart Attack
Treatment of Bleeding Gums
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Treatment of Epilepsy
Treatment of Bad Breath
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Submit a review for Mahaveer HospitalYour feedback matters!
Movement of the head and neck is enabled by the various joints in this region, the main role being played by the cervical spine. This is a part of the vertebra or the spine and supports the head and neck in all movements. There are cervical vertebrae, ligaments, muscles, and nerves which ensure this movement happens smoothly. However, given the complexity of the whole structure, head and neck pain are also two of the most common joint pains.
The vertebrae of your neck (cervical spine) support the weight of your head and all its motions, which may not seem like much – until you realize your head weighs as much as a bowling ball. When your neck bones are not positioned properly, the result is tightening of the muscles and irritation of the nerves that connect with your head. Your head and neck symptoms may include some or all of the following:
- Sharp or dull pain or discomfort in your neck
- Stiffness in your neck
- Inability to turn your head to one side
- Shoulder pain
- Jaw pain
Fortunately, you don’t have to live with head and neck pain – and you don’t have to take drugs to eliminate the pain.
- Posture problems: Not providing adequate support when being seated grows to be a menace. With the changing lifestyle where people end up staring at a monitor, there is tremendous stress on the neck muscles, leading to pain and stiffness. There is also loss of flexibility, leading to a stiff neck and headaches.
- Muscle strain: This can occur due to a sudden movement, either when doing something or as a result of accident (like a whiplash injury). The muscle can be torn or injured and this can result in pain, swelling, and inflammation of the affected area.
- Stress: One of the most common identifier of stress is the constant ache/nagging pain in the back of the neck.
- Disk herniation: When the disk is moved out of its space due to excessive movement and rotation, the disk gets herniated and the nerve gets ‘pinched.’ This can cause a sharp, shooting pain to the area where the nerve emerges out of that disk.
Spondylitis, arthritis, etc., are other chronic inflammatory conditions which can affect the neck and head areas.
When there is pain in the head and neck area, the whole body function is affected. The movement is limited and therefore vision, neck movements, and other functions are affected. This, in turn, affects the overall quality of life.
- Identify the problem with a thorough examination, X-ray, and if required soft tissue examination.
- Ice the area for relief of pain temporarily.
- Improve ergonomics in terms of height of the monitor, seat/chair, etc., so the strain is minimized.
- Develop an exercise regimen, which gives adequate exercise to the head and neck muscles.
- Manage stress. Be it physical, chemical, or emotional stress, it takes a toll on the head and neck area. Managing the stress (there is no escape from it!) will definitely see the pains and stiff neck go away.
- Engage in pain management, which is holistic (as above) and does not always resort to medications.
Leg cramps is a very common condition which is characterized by tight and painful leg muscles. The calf muscles are the most commonly affected; it can spread further down to your thighs and feet. Once the cramping gets better, you might experience a tender leg coupled with a numbing feeling for a few minutes.
The causes of leg cramps are varied. If it is caused due to an underlying condition, it is known as secondary leg cramps. The causes of secondary leg cramps include vigorous exercises, pregnancy and usage of certain medications. The cramps cause the muscles of the leg to shorten and contract, thus making you lose control of the affected muscle.
How can homeopathy help?
Homeopathy is a system of medicine which is very holistic in nature. The goal of homeopathy is to focus on the causes of a disorder rather than just curing the symptoms. Homeopathic remedies do not yield any side effect unlike the conventional treatments. Apart from treating the symptoms, homeopathic remedies also help improve your overall wellbeing.
There are many homeopathic remedies that can be used to treat leg cramps. The remedies are focused on treating any underlying condition that may be causing these leg cramps, apart from relieving the symptoms. The first step of the treatment is to diagnose the condition, which is done by a trained practitioner. You will be asked questions pertaining to the cramps and your diet. Once the diagnosis is complete, the medications are prescribed based on the diagnosis.
There may be certain dietary restrictions that you may have to follow for the medicines to work at their optimum best. This system of medicine might also require you to not carry out any form of heavy work that involves the legs as rest is required to boost the process of recovery.
The various Homeopathic offerings are:
- Arnica montana
A migraine is one of the worst form of headache. It is reported that over 90 percent of people who suffers from a migraine are unable to work. The intense pain totally makes them vulnerable. A mammoth 113 million workdays are wasted globally due to this problem. This being said, if the pain is slowly starting to set in, it is possible to manage it at the workspace.
Here is a convenient guide to do just that:
1. Pain Medication: If you are a migraine patient, it is likely that you have your migraine medication with you. The first step is to try the medication. If on the other hand, the medication is not available basic painkillers can be given a shot to manage the pain. Basic pain medications, such as ibuprofen are easily available over the counter and are capable of providing temporary relief.
2. Educate co-workers: Despite awareness about migraine pain, many organisations continue to turn a deaf ear about the problem. Instead of fighting with the whole organisations, it makes sense to educate your immediate colleague about a migraine. All you require is 1-2 people who have your back.
3. Control the environment: With the onset of the pain, it becomes more and more difficult to resume work. Few environmental changes such as adjusting the monitor to the eye level, using a sachet of odour neutralizer and switching off the nearest light will help you to manage the pain for few hours.
4. Staying hydrated: Migraine tends to increase multifold if the body is not hydrated. It is, therefore, essential to drink as much water as you can. Apart from water few other drinks such as lime juice and green tea can be of great assistance to hold the pain back for quite some time.
5. Small snacks: Although eating during a migraine can be tough because of the buzzing pain it is a good idea to have small snacks throughout the working hours. An empty stomach creates acidity and further aggravates the pain. Small time snacks such cookies and chocolate bar can come really handy at this time.
6. Get enough air: A centralised workplace can be claustrophobic and intensify the pain for many. Get out of the workspace to get some fresh air. A sudden gush of oxygen can be a welcome relief from the monotonous and crowded office floor.
7. Apply water on the skull: While this might sound like a crazy idea, applying a small amount of water in the middle of the skull can give temporary relief from the throbbing effect of a migraine. If ice is available in the office pantry, make no hesitation in applying it on the migraine side of the forehead. Ice is capable of spreading a cooling effect throughout the forehead and the skull.
Heart ablation or cardiac ablation is a procedure done to treat irregular heartbeats or arrhythmias. It is performed by an interventional cardiologist, a doctor who specialises in doing procedures for heart problems and it involves threading long wires called catheters through a blood vessel into your heart. The irregular heartbeat is treated by delivering an electrical pulse using electrodes to specific areas of your heart.
A normal heart beats at a steady rate, but sometimes, your heart may beat too quickly, too slowly, or unevenly. These heart rhythm problems are called arrhythmias and one of the treatments for this heart problem is cardiac ablation. Other treatment modalities are medications and changes in lifestyle. Heart ablation is prescribed when the other treatments fail. Arrhythmias mostly happen in older people and in people who suffer from other heart problems like cardiomyopathy.
Here are answers to most frequently asked questions related to ablation
Who will benefit from heart ablation?
The beneficiaries include people who
- Suffer from arrhythmias that don’t respond to medicines
- Suffer from side effects from arrhythmia medicines
- Suffer from a specific kind of arrhythmia that respond very well to cardiac ablation
- Are at a high risk for cardiac arrest or other complications which can be fatal
Cardiac ablation is very helpful for patients who have certain kinds of arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia, which cause fast heartbeats.
How to prepare for cardiac ablation?
You will have to undergo extensive tests to record your heart’s electrical activity and rhythm. Your doctor will ask and record whether you have any other disease like high BP and diabetes.
If you are a woman and pregnant, you must not get this procedure done as it involves radiation. You will not be allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight, the night before the procedure.
How is heart ablation done?
Heart ablations are done in a special room known as an electrophysiology laboratory. It usually takes three to six hours and is usually done under general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia with sedation.
The catheters are threaded either from your neck, groyne or arm into your heart. Your cardiologist also injects a special contrast dye to help him see areas of abnormal muscle in your heart. He then uses a catheter with an electrode at the tip to give radiofrequency energy to the weak heart muscle to correct your irregular heartbeat.
You may have to stay overnight after the procedure.
- Blood clots
- Damage to heart valves or arteries
- The build-up of fluid around your heart
- Heart attack
Inflammation of sac surrounding your heart or pericarditis You will have to be monitored regularly after ablation to check for problems in your heart beats.
Radiation therapy is used for destroying the brain tumor cells, and relieves the symptoms of discomfort and pain caused by the tumor. Radiation is usually used after biopsy or resection of the tumor. This is done to destroy the microscopic cells of the tumor which have been left behind. Sometimes this is also an option for unresectable brain tumors or the metastatic tumors which spread to the brain from other parts of the body.
The radiation therapy is planned on several factors like the size and type of the tumor and the extent to which it has spread. Usually external beam radiation is used for the brain cancer and the area radiated involves the tumor and the surrounding area. In case of a metastatic brain cancer the radiation is given to the entire brain. People who have lung cancer receive radiation in the brain as a preventive therapy in order to stop the metastatic cancer from developing.
Side effects of brain cancer radiation
Depending on the site, dose, and other factors the radiation therapy when given to the brain might cause side effects. Hair loss, fatigue, edema, skin irritations are a few common side effects of brain tumor radiation. In some cases some people might develop swelling of the ankle, foot, calf and blood clots in the leg.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy is basically the use of targeted energy like X-ray to kill the cancer cells, or shrink them or change the symptoms related to cancer. This therapy might be used as:
- Primary treatment for the destruction of the cancer cells
- In combination with other ongoing treatments to inhibit the growth of the cancer cells
- Prior to another treatment to shrink the cancer cells
- Post some treatment to stop the growth of any cancer cells that have been left behind
- To relieve cancer symptoms
Types of radiation
Some of the radiation methods commonly used are:
- External beam radiation therapy: In this the radiation is directed from outside the body on the cancerous cells in the body. Some examples of this are IMRT, TomoTherapy, stereotactic radiosurgery, 3D conformal radiation therapy and IGRT.
- Internal radiation therapy: Examples of this are high-dose rate brachytherapy.
Lactose intolerance is a condition wherein you are not able to digest lactose, which is a sugar found in milk. Other foods that contain lactose include cheese and ice-cream. Inadequate production of the lactase enzyme in children causes lactose intolerance. This enzyme is produced in the intestine that helps in the digestion of lactose.
Lactose intolerance is often confused with milk intolerance. The symptoms are similar but they do not share the same cause. Milk allergy is an adverse reaction towards milk and it is a problem of the immune system, whereas lactose intolerance involves the digestive system.
The symptoms of lactose intolerance are:
Bloating; on consumption of milk over a period of time
Diarrhea is also very common
It is self -diagnosable; just strike out foods containing lactose from your child’s diet and see if the symptoms get better with time. If the symptoms happen to fade away gradually, then it certainly must’ve been lactose intolerance.
However, it can be tricky as many non-dairy products also contain lactose.
If the child is lactose intolerant, then he/she might have to undergo a lactose breath test. This is used to test the levels of hydrogen in the child’s breath after the child consumes a lactose solution. Usually, hydrogen levels are low in one’s breath. However, if the lactose solution is not digested properly, then it will lead to a temporary increase in the levels of hydrogen in the breath, thus indicating lactose intolerance.
This disorder does not have a cure; so in case your child has lactose intolerance, you need to adjust his/her diet accordingly. Over-the-counter lactase is also available that helps in digesting lactose based foods. You can also go for the ‘lactose- free’ milk variety for your child.
When it comes to contact sports like football or basketball, orthopaedic injuries are unavoidable. Given the high risk of falling and accidents and wear and tear of muscles, injuries like stress fractures, torn ligaments, ACL tears and chronic pain are common complaints a sports doctor comes across. Not all orthopaedic doctors can deal with sports injuries. Sports medicine is a specialisation of this field that deals exclusively with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of injuries sustained while playing sports. A sports doctor must not only treat an injury but must also speed up the healing process so as to allow their patients to return to the field as quickly as possible.
When it comes to surgeries for sports injuries, the smaller the incision made, the faster an injury will heal. This has led to the popularisation of minimally invasive surgeries. Arthroscopy is one such type of minimally invasive surgery that is used by doctors to diagnose and treat joint injuries and musculoskeletal conditions.
This procedure is typically performed on a patient under general or spinal anaesthesia. When being used to diagnose a condition, it involves the insertion of a thin fibre optic tube with a light, magnifying lens and camera into the body through a small incision no bigger than a button hole. This allows the doctors to examine the bone and joint in detail. In cases where this type of surgery is being used to treat a patient, specially designed instruments may also be inserted through an additional small incision to repair the injury.
Arthroscopic surgeries for sports injuries are often used in combination with other approaches or open surgery. One of the most common conditions, this type of surgery is used to treat are tendon tears in the knee. Other conditions that can also be treated with arthroscopic surgeries are torn ligaments and cartilage, inflammation of the joint lining, carpal tunnel syndrome, tears in the rotator cuffs and loosening of bones and cartilage.
After the surgery, the incision will be stitched shut and a dressing will be placed over it. In most cases, patients require almost no pain medication as compared to the medication needed to recover from open surgery.
However, it can take several days for the joint to recover and for the incision to heal. Some of the benefits of this kind of surgery are:
- Faster healing
- Minimal scarring
- Lesser blood loss
- No danger of cutting muscles or tendons
- More comfortable rehabilitation
- Faster return to the sports field
Homeopathy world has currently brought unique solutions for reducing unbearable back pain. You can get speedy recovery, and on the other hand, your back muscles will also become much more flexible than ever.
- Arnica: Injured back often leads to severe back pain, and it can be well treated by this homeopathic medicine. Both recent and past back-injuries can be treated using this medicine. This medicine is absolutely safe, and thus you will not face any side-effects at all. Unwanted back stiffness and soreness within back muscles can also be minimized to a great extent with the consistent application of this medicine. Back motions can be made much more flexible by curtailing restlessness.
- Rus Tox: If you want to stop chronic condition of your back pain, then nothing can be the best option other than this medicine. Most of the homeopathic practitioners are now strongly recommending this medicine for severe cases. Only limited dosage of this medicine taken in a consistent manner can offer you more relief from your back pain, and you can get greater relaxation.
- Mag Phos: This medicine is very much useful for alleviating all kinds of back pains, and this medicine can be accompanied by external heat. Cramping muscle pains are simply unbearable and thus cannot be gotten rid of at times. In such a condition, there is no other safest alternative other than this medicine.
- Bryonia: There are some prominent symptoms of back pain, and they can be easily and efficiently alleviated by this medicine. If you have become pretty tired of applying homemade therapies, then you can try out this solution. This medicine can reduce your pain and inflammation within a few hours, and you can get back to your daily activities with great energy. Apart from taking this medicine, you have to take enough rest so that your back can get relaxed. Your back motion can be smoothened and made flexible by taking the concerned medicine.
- Kali carb: This medicine is the best back-pain solution for females. Those females who have severe back pain immediately after delivery can get greater relief from this medicine. In this case, back muscles often develop cramping pains and these pains are very much irritating, and thus you might feel disturbed. This is the reason doctors often recommend taking this medicine to fix the problem.
Arthritis, which is quite a common ailment among people aged above 40, is painful regardless where it affects a person, be it the hands or the toes. However, the Ayurvedic field of medicine has come up with historic ways of treating the issue. Over the course of time, these methods have proved to be quite effective, and especially popular as they have no side effects. A person only needs to spend a little time to get to know how to go about using Ayurveda to cure the arthritic aches and pains, which plague daily life!
One of the best things about Ayurveda is the fact that the solutions are generally made using ingredients that are very easy to source. For example, there is a solution for arthritis, which involves mixing a cup of mustard oil with about 10 grams of camphor and then heating the combination. This oil mixture then needs to be massaged on the affected areas. Now, isn’t that simple?
The common potato, long considered to be a vegetable of the masses, also finds its use in Ayurveda when it comes to treating arthritis. If you soak a few unpeeled slices of potato in a glass of water overnight and drink this water the following morning, you are sure to find an improvement in your condition quite soon.
Additionally, there are a few other food items that are recommended in the Ayurvedic treatment. These include bitter gourd, which is not only low in calorie content, but also very high on vitamins and ginger which improves metabolism. Consuming garlic and buttermilk is also considered advantageous.
Moreover, you may also need to make some changes to the lifestyle habits, which have been deeply ingrained. For instance, sleeping as per a regular schedule and not going to sleep very late at night has a positive impact.
As you have probably be discerned, when it comes to health, the devil is in the eating! If a person who has arthritis makes an effort to conform to a good and healthy diet, which does not contain fried or sugary food, or even those which have spices in excess, he or she will not only find the pain symptoms of arthritis reducing, but also gain a general sense of health.
As long as a person has the patience to follow the way of treating arthritis set out by Ayurveda, the benefits will truly be bountiful!
“Kya haar me, kya jeet me, Kinchit nahi bhaybheet mai,
Kartavya path par jo bhi mila, Yah bhi sahi, wo bhi sahi,
Vardaan nahi maangunga, Ho kuch par haar nahi maangunga” - Atal Bihari Vajpayee
His leadership, foresight, maturity and eloquence put him in a league of his own. Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the Gentle Giant, passed away on 16th August. He was suffering from urinary tract infection. His previous medical records include stroke, dementia, and diabetes. He sometimes fails to recognize people and is often confined to a wheelchair. Let's know about the disease-
What Causes Urinary Tract Infection?
Kidney Tract Infection is a form of UTI (Urine Tract Infection) that generally begins in Urethra or Bladder and spreads to one or both of the Kidneys. This Kidney infection is caused by bacteria which enters the Urethra and multiplies in the Bladder, then infection spreads to Kidneys.
Here are the reasons that help the bacteria enter the Urethra:
- Toilet Hygiene
- Female Physiology
- Urinary Catheter
- Kidney Stones
- Enlarged Prostate
- Sexual Activeness
- Weakened Immune System
Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection
The symptoms depend on the part of the Urinary Tract infected. In lower UTI, the following symptoms are noticed:
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Frequent urination (with less urine passing)
- Blood with urine
- Urine looks cloudy
- Dark colored urine
- Strong odor of urine
- Pelvic pain
- Rectal Pain
The Upper UTI is a severe one, and shows the given symptoms:
Treatments for Urinary Tract Infection-
The treatment may differ from person to person depending upon the seriousness and position of the infection. The infection of Upper Urinary Tract can be life-threatening as it affects Kidneys, a type of Urinary Tract Infection, our former Prime Minister is suffering from. Lower UTI is not as dangerous as the upper one, but is a serious issue.
A treatment can only be commenced based on the test results which shows where the infection is, and what type of bacteria has attacked the Urinary Tract. For most of the cases, the infection is treated with Antibiotics and other medication.
The 93-year-old former Prime Minister had only one functional kidney and had suffered a stroke back in 2009 which weakened his cognitive abilities. He was admitted to the AIIMS but on June 11, 2018, with a kidney tract infection, chest congestion and the urine output on the lower side.
Some Interesting Facts About The Man Himself -
- He was the first person to give a speech in Hindi at the UN General Assembly in 1977. He served as India’s Minister of External Affairs at that time.
- The former Prime Minister was known to have been a good cook. While serving time in prison during Emergency, in Chandigarh, he reportedly became the “head cook”.
- In 2015, Vajpayee received Bharat Ratna, the country’s highest civilian honor from former President Pranab Mukherjee.
- He is the only Parliamentarian to be elected from 4 different Indian States- Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh.
- His birthday, 25 December, was declared “Good Governance Day” as recognition of his services to the nation.
- Matter of ‘13’ :
- In 1996, he was PM for 13 days
- In 1998– 99, he was PM for 13 months
- On 13 oct 1999 he took oath as PM of India for the third time
RIP Atalji - You will always be missed by every Indian!