Doctors in Apollo Hospital
Treatment Of Acne/Pimples
Weight Loss Treatment
Treatment of Headaches
Treatment of Fever
Treatment of Hair Fall
Treatment of Red Eyes
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Masturbation Addiction
Treatment of Hair Loss
Treatment & Management of Cold
Treatment of Stomach Pain
Treatment of Body Weakness
Treatment of Joint Pain
Treatment of Female Hair Loss
Treatment of Dandruff
Treatment of Leg Pain
Prevention & Treatment of Diabetes
Treatment of Itching
Treatment of Greying Hair
Treatment of Sleeping Problems
Submit a review for Apollo HospitalYour feedback matters!
When you travel in an airplane or just come out of the swimming pool, your ears may sometimes block up and even be painful. This is what is known ear barotrauma and is caused by pressure differences inside and outside the ear drum. Severe cases may cause damage to the ear and impede your hearing.
Symptoms of ear barotrauma: Ear barotrauma usually occurs when the Eustachian tube is blocked due to differences in air pressure. The Eustachian tube is a long narrow tube that runs from the middle of your ear to the pharynx or the back of the throat and is thus very important in relevance to the ear, nose and throat. Thus ear barotrauma can also translate to pain in the ear and throat as well.
Some of the symptoms are:
- Discomfort in the ear, or aggravated pain in extreme cases
- The ears being blocked or full, in severe cases may feel like being underwater
- Temporary hearing loss
- Nose bleeding in severe cases
- Health care providers may see an inward caving or outward bulging in the ear drum. In severe cases, the eardrum may look bruised as well.
- Some severe cases may even exhibit signs typical of an ear infection along with some of the other symptoms mentioned above.
Precautions and self treatment: There are certain steps you can take to either prevent barotrauma or reduce the symptoms, these are:
yawning or gulping. This is very helpful when air pressure differences are caused in cases of travelling by aircraft.
- Inhale slowly and then exhale while your mouth is closed and you are holding your nostrils closed by fingers. This will help increase the pressure within the tube to try and open it forcefully.
- Sucking on candy is another way to prevent barotraumas as you are constantly swallowing and keeping your Eustachian tube from being blocked in the first place.
- Keep a few chewing gums handy and has similar effects on your ears as it forces the Eustachian tube to remain open despite pressure differences.
- After diving or swimming, come out of the water slowly. Scuba divers and deep swimmers need to come up slowly to ensure that the Eustachian tube is given enough time to acclimatize and slowly come back to normal.
Usually, ear barotrauma goes away automatically after sometime and no medications are required. However, if symptoms still persist, it is best to go to a relevant doctor or a health care provider for pain relief and long term solutions.
Low levels of testosterone can end up affecting various aspects of a your life. It can affect your libido, your performance in bed along with your motivation and energy. Testosterone replacement therapy can bring the levels back to what they were before and restore his lost confidence, energy and vigour.
Testosterone is a hormone which is mainly produced in the testicles. Testosterone controls bone density, distribution of fat, muscle mass and strength, body and facial hair, red blood cell production, sex drive and production of sperms.
Testosterone levels generally lower with age, especially after 30. Usually, in older men, low levels of testosterone result in androgen deficiency. Androgen deficiency affects the muscle mass, bone density, weight and can drastically change sleep patterns as well. On the other hand, testicle injury, testicular cancer or treatment for it, hormonal disorders, infections, HIV/AIDS, chronic kidney or liver disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity can lead to low testosterone levels as well.
While testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) seems very desirable, there are certain risks and benefits which need to be considered.
1. Sleep apnea is one of the risk factors of TRT. In this condition, breathing stops and starts repeatedly when you sleep.
2. Acne problems and other skin disorders
3. Swollen breasts. Men with breast cancer should not opt for this treatment.
4. TRT can trigger noncancerous prostate growth.
5. Sperm production is limited or the testicles might shrink
6. Chances of deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in veins) leading to pulmonary embolism (clots burst and lodge into your lungs) are increased.
Benefits of getting a testosterone therapy done
1. Sexual drive, performance and function are improved.
2. Mineral density of the bones gets restored
3. Healthy weight loss, thus improving your body composition
4. Muscle strength and mass improves
5. Mood and energy gets a boost
6. Cognitive functions improve
7. Lessens the risks of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases
8. Improves metabolism
9. Reduces chances of anaemia or improves the condition if you are already suffering from it
Nicotine addiction or tobacco addiction refers to an acute dependence upon tobacco products primarily due to the presence of the nicotine drug. In other words, nicotine addiction refers to an inability to stop using tobacco products despite the knowledge and awareness that it is harmful to you. While nicotine only induces addiction, it is the presence of other substances in tobacco which makes it damaging and injurious to health.
Nicotine has the tendency to produce effects in the brain, both physical as well as mind-altering, that give temporary satisfaction. This is precisely why people get hooked into the habit of tobacco consumption which eventually leads to addiction.
Unfortunately, stopping tobacco use immediately can also lead to several withdrawal symptoms, like agitation and restlessness.
The main reason why tobacco is so addictive is due to the fact that nicotine releases neurotransmitters such as dopamine in the reward centre; of the brain, which in turn improves your mood and gives you temporary pleasure.
Causes of nicotine addiction can either be physical or behavioral, for instance situations or feelings which make you crave for tobacco. These include:
1. Specific times during the day, say after every meal or during breaks at work
2. While defecating
3. While drinking alcohol
4. Stressful or depressive situations
5. At the sight or smell of a burning cigarette
6. Peer pressure
7. While driving
Symptoms of nicotine addiction include:
1. You are unable to quit smoking despite frequent attempts.
2. You experience withdrawal symptoms after attempting to quit.
3. You continue to smoke despite the awareness that it is injurious to your health.
4. You forego social as well as recreational activities because of your need to smoke.
Hair loss is a prime concern for many men and women these days, whether it is genetic, due to stress, bad haircare or any medical condition. But with advances in the field and adequate research, various new techniques have cropped up in the market which can combat the condition with ease. Platelet-Rich Plasma or PRP, is showing impressive results in reversing hair loss.
PRP is a non-surgical therapeutic hair restoration option. It is suitable for both men and women. It is a state-of-the-art, totally natural, alternative medical procedure used for the treatment of hair loss or hair thinning. It is an injectable treatment which uses the patient’s own blood.
PRP has been in use in the medical field for two decades, and offers some promising potential for stimulating hair growth. However, no definitive studies yet exist that confirms its efficacy.
Advantages of PRP Therapy
PRP can be helpful in:
- Slowing the rate of hair loss
- Regrowing thinning hair to be thicker and full
- Boosting the health and condition of the scalp
- Stimulating collagen levels
- Preparing the scalp for hair transplantation & post hair transplantation
PRP can also assist in the treatment of skin and scalp conditions such as:
- Dry, itchy and inflamed scalp
- Genetic hair loss
- Alopecia areata
- Telogen effluvium (commonly caused by stress)
How PRP Works?
The scalp is cleansed and numbing cream applied. While the scalp is prepared, a small amount of blood is drawn from the patient. This blood is then centrifuged to produce the Platelet Rich Plasma. The PRP component is taken from the blood and injected or infused into the scalp or areas of hair loss. Patients are able to resume normal activities after this procedure.
PRP harnesses the growth factors carried in the blood supply and then delivers a concentrated dose back to the affected scalp and hair follicles. The growth factors in the platelets stimulate the follicles to grow hair. The hair follicles in the resting phase (telogen) may be pushed into growth, and this will appear as new hair growth.
Who is a candidate for PRP?
Men or women who have early stages male or female pattern baldness are suitable candidates for PRP. It is also suitable for men or women who are currently using hair loss medications; or those who are experiencing or expect to experience post-partum hair loss. It is also suitable for those who have had or plan to have hair transplant surgery.
However, you are not a candidate for PRP if you:
- Have medical conditions such as chronic liver disease, skin diseases or cancer, metabolic and systemic disorders
- Have undergone anti-coagulation therapy
- If you have any type of platelet dysfunction syndromes
The thyroid is a small gland located on the neck. When the thyroid gland functions normally, it is easy to ignore it but an underactive or overactive thyroid gland can cause a number of problems. An underactive thyroid gland is known as hypothyroidism. In this case, the gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. This, in turn, lowers metabolism. Your diet plays a large role in influencing the functioning of the thyroid gland. Some of the foods you should avoid in cases of hypothyroidism are:
1. Cruciferous Vegetables
This includes vegetables such as cabbage, bok choi, kale, sprouts, and broccoli. These vegetables restrict the thyroid’s ability to absorb iodine which in turn lowers the functionality of the thyroid gland. While you do not need to completely avoid these vegetables, you should restrict their intake to less than 5 ounces each day. Cooking these vegetables can also help reduce their effect.
Soy products are rich in plant-based phytoestrogen. This hormone interferes with the body’s ability to use the thyroid hormone. It can worsen hypothyroidism and even increase the risk of hypothyroidism. However, this has not been scientifically proven and hence there are no specific dietary guidelines on how much should be eaten. To be on the safe side, consume soy products in moderation and avoid them whenever possible.
3. Fatty Foods
Hypothyroidism is yet another reason to avoid fatty foods. Fats interfere with the body’s ability to absorb thyroid hormone as well as thyroid hormone replacement drugs. It also lowers the production of thyroid hormone and thus aggravates hypothyroidism. Ideally, you should avoid fatty foods such as red meat, fatty fish, butter, mayonnaise etc. You should also avoid foods that are deep fried. Instead, try steaming or baking your food.
Many dieticians refer to sugar as empty calories. These calories do not have any nutrients but can slow down the body’s metabolism rate. It also leads to weight gain that furthers aggravates hypothyroidism as well as other lifestyle disorders such as diabetes. Limit your sugar consumption to 1-2 spoons a day or try and eliminate it completely. You could also try replacing sugar with honey to sweeten your tea.
5. Excess Fiber
An excessive amount of anything including fiber can be detrimental to the body. Too much fiber can create complications in the treatment of hypothyroidism. Thus, you should not consume more than 35 grams of fiber a day. This can take the form of whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
A problem in the nervous system which causes individuals to make sudden sounds or movements called tic is Tourette’s syndrome. These movements cannot be controlled by the patient. This syndrome usually starts in childhood and often stays in milder form for many even after they have reached adulthood. Many people can live without taking any kind of treatment for these tics, unless it really bothers them. Patients are often observed to start coughing or blinking their eyes uncontrollably when affected by this syndrome. They may be associated with obsessive compulsive disorder.
Symptoms of Tourette’s syndrome
Tourette’s syndrome often affects children but get better as they grow up. The symptoms of this syndrome are usually so mild that often they go unnoticed. Some of the common symptoms which are observed in patients are stress, excitement and getting tired and sick which can make the problem worse. The motor tics can make the patient blink continuously, twitch their mouth, shrug their shoulder or jerk their head and arm continuously. The symptoms of vocal tics often include yelping and barking, coughing, grunting or repeating something someone else has said, continuously. Shouting, swearing, and sniffing are also some of the vocal tics which may be caused by the Tourette’s syndrome.
What Causes the Problem?
This syndrome usually affects certain parts of the brain like the basal ganglia which control every other movement of the body. A trouble in the brain network is often suggested as the reason behind Tourette’s syndrome. A definite answer to why the problem occurs has not been established by experts yet, however, genes are believed to play a vital role in causing Tourette’s syndrome. People who have family members suffering from this problem are often at risk of being affected by the syndrome. However, the symptoms may vary from one person to another.
Treatment for Tourette’s syndrome
If you suspect your child of having Tourette’s syndrome, then a neurologist should be seen immediately. No special tests are held for the condition; however, imaging tests of your brain may be carried out by your doctor. CT scan and MRI are often suggested. Doctors may often recommend medications like Haloperidol, fluphenazine and pimozide among others to control these tics. However, very often the tics are very mild and do not need any medication at all.
A talk therapy along with ongoing medications might also be required for some patients as the psychologist may help your child in dealing with social issues which can be caused by these uncontrollable tics. Along with that, behavior therapy may also come in use for many.
The shoulders are the most mobile joints in your body. Shoulder joints undergo wear and a tear over time and hence become unstable. Shoulder arthritis is one of the painful conditions affecting the shoulder joints. Arthritis not only takes a toll on the tendons and muscles, but also affects the ligaments and joints too. They usually cause symptoms such as joint pain, resulting in limited mobility.
- Take rest or avoid the activities that provoke pain or change the way of your arm movements.
- Physical therapy boosts shoulder mobility.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or aspirin alleviate pain and inflammation.
- Corticosteroid injections in the shoulders can also help to ease the pain and inflammation, although temporarily.
- Applying moist heat or ice packs over the shoulders for about half an hour at least thrice a day brings relief.
- Drugs such as methotrexate can be administered in case one is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis (a chronic disease attacking multiple joints of the body).
- Dietary supplements such as chondroitin and glucosamine may help reduce pain.
Surgical treatments (if your pain results in disability and does not lessen with nonsurgical options)
- Join replacement surgery or arthroplasty involves replacing the damaged parts of the shoulder with a prosthetic (artificial) joint.
- Few mild forms of arthritis may be treated using the Arthroscopic procedure (minimally invasive surgery). It requires a surgeon to ease the joint pain by making small incisions to “clean out” the joint. A tiny camera fitted into the joint guides the surgeon through the surgery.
- Resection arthroplasty is a method that involves the surgical removal of the bone from the collar bone and substituting it with a scar tissue to treat arthritis of particular joints.
Diabetes is an abnormal condition where the sugar-level in humans are higher than usual. Ayurveda can be used efficiently in treating this condition. It is diagnosed as Madhumeha in Ayurveda. Intake of oily, spicy food that are heavy on the digestion often lead to this problem.
Along with drugs and medications, Ayurveda stresses on the importance of a balanced diet and exercise. The management modules that can be categorized are:
- Vyaayam (Exercise)
- Panchakarma (Procedures for Bio-purification)
- Pathya (Regulation in diet)
- The use of therapy (Medications)
The individual’s constitution highly affects the ayurvedic treatment of prameha. Some of them are:
- Dietary habits
- Hereditary factor
Management of diabetes can be done using a variety of herbs. Some of them are:
- Eugenia jambolana (Jamun beej churna)
- Pterocarpus marsupium (Vijaysar churna)
- Ficus bengalensis (Nyagrodha twaka churna – banyan tree bark)
- Momordica chirantia Karvellaka (Karella – Bitter Gourd)
- Kirat tikata (Chirayata)
- Emblica officinalis (Amla)
In ayurveda too, its been told to be difficult to cure to incurable. It is told to be a manageable disorder.
Management Module -
It is possible that certain patients are unable to respond to insulin or hypoglemic medicines. In this case, an ayurvedic physician may prescribe some ayurvedic drugs such as:
- Dhatri Nisha
- Chandraprabha vati
- Vasant kusumakar rasa
Diabetes is not just a lack of insulin. It is the most probable cause is plain poor maintenance of your body. Its cure will need to include all of these things discussed. By doing all, diet, herbs, exercise and stress management, you can certainly take care of your Diabetes.
The benefits of Ayurvedic therapy taken at the earliest is that they avoid or atleast delay the onset of neuropathy, nephropathy, retinopathy and other diabetes relates complications due to prolonged presence of diabetes.
Arthritis is a very painful disease. It restricts you from doing a lot of the activities you would love to engage in.
However, there are steps you could take to reduce the chances of it happening to you. Here are some of them :
1. Take Omega-3 fatty acids
Research proves that the regular consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids, present in fish, result in decreased risks of rheumatoid arthritis. Omega-3 fatty acids are also found in foods such as olive oil and walnuts.
2. Take Vitamins and olive oil
Vitamins are crucial, especially A, C and D. Vitamin A can be found in carrots. Vitamin D can yet again be found in fish while Vitamin C can be found in strawberries, mangoes, pineapples and oranges. Olive oil is also useful because it contains polyphenols which reduce the chances of developing arthritis.
Ginger and broccoli are two of the most therapeutic foods for various reasons and the chances of getting arthritis are also proven to reduce due to these foods.
4. Avoid injury
Although this is very hard to do sometimes, avoiding injuries do reduce your chances of getting arthritis.
5. Control your weight
This is very important, especially for your knees. It has been proven by researchers at Johns Hopkins University that if you are 10 kg overweight, then 30 to 60 extra kilograms of weight fall on your knees.
Strengthening your muscles around your joint decrease the pressure on the joint. If there is less pressure on the joint, then the chances of arthritis are reduced. The best way to decrease pressure on the joint and strengthen your muscles is to exercise.
The inability to conceive after indulging in unprotected sex is known as infertility. It can also be referred to the biological incapability of a male to cause the conception or a woman being unable to carry the pregnancy for full-term. Research has shown that female problems contribute to over half of all the infertility cases while a majority of the other causes include sperm disorders.
Treatment of infertility depends on:
- Cause of Infertility
- Duration of Infertility
- Age of both partners
- Personal preferences
Causes of infertility in women include:
1. Ovulation disorders: This is regarded as the most common cause of infertility in women. The disorders can be caused due to the following
- Premature ovarian failure
- PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- Poor egg quality
- Overactive or Underactive thyroid gland
- Chronic conditions like cancer or AIDS.
2. Problems in fallopian tubes or uterus: Abnormalities in the uterus or fallopian tubes render the woman incapable of conceiving naturally. This might be due to:
3. Medications: There is a possibility that treatment will cure infertility. Examples include NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy. Treatment of infertility might involve a significant amount of psychological, physical, temporal and financial commitments. In men, treatment is done to treat lack of healthy sperm or general sexual problems. The treatments include:
- Change in lifestyle
- Sperm retrieval
Even though it is possible to restore fertility in women using only one or two therapies, a number of treatments might be required before conception is possible. Some of these treatments include:
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- Stimulation of ovulation with fertility drugs
- Surgery to restore fertility
In situations where pregnancy does not happen spontaneously, Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) can be used by couples to achieve pregnancy. It is a form of fertility treatment which involves the handling of sperm and egg. The entire ART team consists of psychologists, physicians, embryologists, nurses and lab technicians.
One common ART technique is In vitro fertilization (IVF). It is a process where an egg and sperms are manually combined in a laboratory dish, followed by transfer of embryo to the uterus. Some aspects involved in an IVF cycle are:
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
- Assisted hatching
- Donor eggs or sperm
- Gestational carrier
Some complications that may occur during the treatment of infertility are:
- Multiple pregnancy
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS)