Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pulmonologists in India. You will find Pulmonologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pulmonologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vishwanath Gella
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Management Program
Management of Smoking Cessation
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Vishwanath GellaYour feedback matters!
COPD, which is short for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, is a severe form of lung disease that is characterized by increased breathlessness and obstruction of airflow from the lungs. People who are suffering from COPD are at an increased risk of developing lung cancer, heart diseases and many other conditions. It includes progressive lung diseases such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema, few forms of bronchiectasis and refractory (non-reversible) asthma. The former two are the most common conditions contributing to COPD.
Chronic bronchitis induces inflammation in the airway that carries air to the lungs and fills it with mucus. This either completely blocks the airway or narrows it, causing difficulty in breathing. However in emphysema, the air sacs inside the lungs which inflate and deflate as you breathe in and out, lose their elasticity due to which less air comes in and goes out leaving you breathless.
The best way to treat COPD is to quit smoking. Your doctor may also prescribe you medications or ask you to enroll in a lung rehab program.
- Smoking: Smoking is one of the most common causes of COPD. This is because smoking is known to destroy the stretchy fibers in people's lungs and irritate the airways. Even passive smoking is unhealthy. About 90% of the people having COPD are current or former smokers.
- Genetics: Some individuals suffer from COPD even after refraining from smoking. Genes might be at the helm of COPD in such a case. AATD i.e. Alpha -1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, is a protein in the lungs, the lack of which is one of the most common genetic factor causing emphysema.
- Environmental Factors: Breathing in harmful pollutants present in your environment is also one of the causes of COPD. Fumes, dust or certain chemicals are a few examples of harmful lung irritants. Organic cooking fuel may also cause COPD. Exposing yourself to the aforementioned environmental factors for a prolonged period of time increases your risk of developing COPD substantially.
- Shortness of breath especially after exercising
- Tightness in your chest
- Unintended weight loss
- Lack of energy
- Frequent respiratory infections
- Cough accompanied by mucus
- Physical Exam where your doctor monitors the functioning of your lungs.
- Questioning about your past health (Smoking or other harmful lung irritants).
- Spirometry and other breathing tests.
- Chest x-rays and other tests to eliminate other problems which could be causing your symptoms. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.
My 5-year-old daughter has asthma. What is the effect of using an asthma preventer long-term? I heard that using it for years might cause bone shrinkage. Is it true? Are there any vitamins or supplements to help vision?
I am suffering from cold and feeling shivering even with little cough. Digestion process is also not going well and felling little headache? What should I do? What types of food should I eat? Unable to sleep well.
For e. G.I am suffering from dry cough for the last 2 weeks and I have chest pain whenever I cough hard. Can you suggest what should be done?
Dear sir. I am suffering from a bronchitis asthma from last two years and it's a very serious problem for me. I am doing job in the dusty place so it is difficult to find out other jobs. So, give me some guidance about medicine. When I am suffering from it I nurvous. Thank you.
Asthma is a condition characterized by inflammation of the airways which impairs the circulation of air from the lungs. The inflamed airways are very susceptible to various allergens thus increasing your risk of allergies. It also causes a hissing sound while breathing, breathing complications and coughing. Homeopathic remedies are effective in treating asthma as they do not have any side effects. These treatments assist in maintaining the balance of the immune system.
The various homeopathic remedies for asthma are:
- Natrumsulphuricum: One of the most common treatments for asthma, it is very effective in treating asthma in children. It is also effective in treating asthma that is inherited and aggravated in humid conditions.
- Arsenic album: This treatment is used to treat asthma in both chronic and acute phase. It is prescribed when the asthma attacks occur frequently during the night, resulting in suffocation. It is very useful in treating patients who are affected by asthma and fall sick during cold weather.
- Sambucus: It is very effective in treating asthma in children who are chronically afflicted with it. It can cause dryness of the skin and may also result in burning sensations.
- Kali bichrome: This is another remedy for treating symptoms of asthma that are very frequent at night. It helps in relieving symptoms of chest congestion as it thins the mucus.
- Nux vomica: If you are suffering from asthma along with symptoms of indigestion, then this treatment can be beneficial. It brings relief if you are suffering from breathing problems due to indigestion.
- Carbo veg: Carbo veg is recommended in cases where there is excess irritation in the abdomen due to gas. It is also very useful in treating symptoms of asthma in the elderly. It is prescribed in cases of acute asthma attacks.