Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vijayalakshmi
Submit a review for Dr. VijayalakshmiYour feedback matters!
As men enter their middle age, many of them develop issues with their prostate gland. There are certain symptoms that would tell you that your prostate glands have stopped functioning smoothly. It is recommended that you opt for a thorough check up when you suspect something wrong. This is because untreated prostate issues can lead to prostate cancer later in life. To avoid such a situation, it is best to get it treated as soon as possible.
Here are certain common symptoms which would make you aware of the issues that might affect your prostate gland.
- Bladder Discomfort: When you frequently start experiencing the feeling of your bladder not emptying completely, then it is time to consult an urologist for the problem. Such bladder discomforts are linked to prostate gland malfunctioning.
- Increased frequency of urination: Ideally a person urinates around six to eight times a day. Depending on the intake of liquid or water it can even rise up to ten times. But if you are urinating more than ten to twelve times, then it is definitely a matter of concern and you should approach medical help for it.
- Dribbling of urine: when you notice that the flow of urine is not stable and it starts dribbling for a long time, then you must understand that the prostate gland is not functioning properly. This is one of the earliest signs of prostate disorders.
- Waking up frequently at night to use the washroom: It is not very normal to wake up frequently at night to use the washroom. But when you notice an increase in your trips to the washroom at night, it can be a sign of prostate malfunctioning.
- Pain in penis or blood in the flow of urine: If you feel pain when you are trying to empty your bladder or anytime during the day, then it is a matter of concern. Similarly, if there is a flow of blood, even in the slightest, in your urine, then it is time to opt for a check up with your medical practitioner.
Hence, these are the major symptoms which reflect that the functioning of your prostate gland is not as smooth as it is supposed to be. If you can relate with any of these symptoms, ideally you must immediately consult your medical practitioner and take an expert opinion. Medical science has progressed a lot in contemporary times and prostate disorders are very much treated by medicines and procedures. It is a very much curable problem provided you get the right help at the right time.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The prostate gland in males surrounds the urethra, through which urine and sperm are passed out of the body. Its function is to secrete a fluid, which provides nourishment to the sperm. It is about the shape of a walnut and is present between the pubic bone and the rectum.
As a man crosses 40, the prostate gland begins to increase in size due to an increase in the number of cells. This is known as hyperplasia. The condition is usually benign and therefore the name benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). As it continues to grow, there is an increased pressure on the urethra. Therefore, there can be problems with urination. The bladder, being a muscular organ, compensates to some extent and so the problems with urination are mostly managed. If left untreated, this can continue to be a major problem and the bladder may not be able to compensate. In men who are 60-plus, BPH is very common.
Signs and symptoms
- One of the initial symptoms of BPH is when the urine stream begins to grow weak.
- There could also be a reduced speed of passing urine.
- Men with BPH never have a feeling of complete emptying of the bladder.
- On the other hand, there is also a constant difficulty in initiating a urine stream. There could be intermittent breaks in the urine stream.
- The person may feel the need to strain to initiate the stream and to ensure complete emptying.
- There could be dribbling of urine after passing urine.
- The duration between two bathroom visits can constantly reduce, with the constant urge to urinate.
- There is a constant urge to visit the bathroom, which is more common in the night. One of the most annoying features of BPH is the walking up at night to urinate, but with an inability to initiate a stream and an inability to completely empty the bladder, it leaves the person very irritated and frustrated.
- There could be blood in the urine. In fact, blood in the urine accompanied by fever, chills, nausea and vomiting are indications of an emergency.
- There could be blockage of urine completely, if the enlargement is quite severe.
If you are having any of these symptoms, then the doctor will first test for an enlarged prostate through a digital rectal exam. Then a test is done to check a chemical called prostate specific antigen. Increased levels of this chemical is almost always indicative of BPH. In addition, X-rays and scanning may be used to confirm diagnosis.
Blood test cancer prostate is PSA. It is done only if there is a suspicion of cancer. Most cases can be managed by medication. Surgical removal procedure needs a minimum of 2 to 3 days. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Urologist.
My mother 46 was diagnosed with small cell cervix 3B an year back, she went through combination of chemo and radiation. After the PET we came to know it worked wonders and the disease was no more. But not 2 months after the disease recurred. She has received her 2nd line (pacitaxel and irontecan) and 3rd line (vinorelbine and gemcitabine) which were ineffective. Now doctors say that there is nothing they can do about it. If you have found some results with any medicines or chemo or ayurveda please share your experience. She is loosing her health on daily basis as the disease is progressing. I also came to know in some rare case Avastin came to some results in small cell please share. Or even if you can tell about the supportive treatment which makes her a bit stronger Thank you.
- Treatment consist of removal of testis followed by chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
- Its a curable disease
My dad age 67 years had clear abdomen Sonography till jan18 .recently he was diagnosed by CT and PET scan with metastatic cancer believed to be unethical or RCC. He was suffering from infection till last year as Entamoeba histolytica was present in stool. Can technology devices like PET and CT differentiate between infection inflammation and cancer tumor? His biopsy so far done yield no result and necrotic cells were formed. A person relatively healthy to advance cancer in mere 60 days is it logical?
Flax seeds prevent Breast Cancer
Flaxseeds contain several beneficial plant compounds:
1. Lignans: Lignans are present in almost all plants, acting as both antioxidants and phytoestrogens. Flaxseeds are the richest known dietary source of lignans. These nutrients function as phytoestrogens.
Phytoestrogens are plant compounds that are similar to the female sex hormone estrogen. They have weak estrogenic and antioxidant properties
Lignans are fermented by bacteria in the digestive system and may reduce the growth of several cancers, especially hormone-sensitive cancers such as breast, uterus and prostate cancers.
They have been linked to a decreased risk of heart disease and metabolic syndrome, since they reduce the amount of fat and glucose in the blood.
Phytoestrogens also help lower blood pressure and reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the arteries.
2. P-Coumaric Acid: This polyphenol is one of the main antioxidants found in flaxseeds.
3. Ferulic Acid: This antioxidant may help to prevent several chronic diseases.
4. Cyanogenic Glycosides: These substances may form compounds called thiocyanates in the body, which can impair thyroid function in some people.
5. Phytosterols: Related to cholesterol,phytosterols are found in the cell membranes of plants. They have been shown to have cholesterol-lowering effects in the body.
Flax Seeds are very easy to incorporate into the diet. Grinding them is the best way to make the most of their health benefits.