Lybrate.com has top trusted Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeons from across India. You will find Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeons with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeons online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sudershan Rao. N
Cysts Removal Procedure
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Treatment of Gynaecomastia
Skin Laser Treatment
Skin Rash Treatment
Hair Regrowth Procedure
Breast Reduction Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hernia Repair Surgery
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Acne / Pimples Treatment
Hair Loss Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sudershan Rao. NYour feedback matters!
She has got something like rashes on her hands for about 6 months. She consulted a doctor and he gave her a gel to apply. But there was no use. She applied oil on those areas of the skin. But she is not able to find a solution for this problem. She also feels it itching sometimes. Please try to give her the best solution for this problem.
Causes of skin discoloration and its types
Skin discoloration is a condition where the overall color of skin appears patchy and uneven. This generally takes the form of dark spots, blotchiness, jagged sunburns, etc. It is caused due to unequal distribution of melanin, the pigment responsible for imparting color to the skin.
Melanin is produced by the melanocyte cells in the epidermis layer of the skin. This pigment plays a protective role in the skin, particularly when it comes to defense against sun damage. Production of melanin is generally uniform through the skin but sometimes, various anomalies cause some parts of the skin to produce excess melanin whereas others may produce none at all. This leads to discoloration of the skin, making the appearance of skin tone irregular and non-uniform.
What are the different types of skin discoloration?
There are various types of skin discoloration which are caused by different medical and nonmedical conditions.
Some of them are as follows:
- Melasma. This type of skin discoloration occurs due to fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. This condition is found most commonly in pregnant women.
- Vitiligo. This is a medical condition which is caused when melanocyte cells cease to function or die. It manifests itself in the form of white patches that appear on the skin.
- Sunburns and Tans. These appear on the skin in the form of dark patches, uneven splotches and burns. It is caused by unprotected and prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Tinea Versicolor. This type of skin discoloration is caused by a fungal infection that makes skin appear dull and flaky in patches. It occurs due to hormone level fluctuations or a malfunction in the immune system.
- Skin Cancer. When the skin gets affected by melanomas and carcinomas, it appears discolored. This type of discoloration changes shape, size and texture and requires the immediate attention of a specialist.
- Other causes of skin discoloration include genetic inheritance, allergic reactions and drug reactions. The diagnosis of treatment depends on the exact nature of the condition and varies from case to case.
Related Tip: Can Use of Sunscreen Reduce Skin's Aging?
Hello doctor! I am 26 years mother of 7 months old baby. Since my delivery the amount of hairfall have increased n now there is lots of dandruff n sum kind of dry patches formed in scalp. Please help me.
My foots are becoming rough skin. I think that it is because of climate. I have used many moisturising creams. But nothing happened. Now a days I am using vaseline cream.
Doctor, If I do advance procedures like Tca Peel, subscission, co2 fractional laser will I never be able to go out in the sun freely? Will it damage my skin even after use of sunscreen while I'm out in the sun. Please advise.
I have oily skin and I spend a few hours traveling everyday which makes my face prone to dirt and pollution thus making my face dull and dark. I request you to provide some natural remedies to get rid of this face complexion problem.
My name is shiva 15 year old male. I am suffering from acne on my chicks. Please tell me a nice advice. Thank you.
- If you are concerned about your gummy smile find out more from your surgeon regarding various reasons for gummy smile and different treatment modalities.
- It can range from botox to surgical correction.
- Gummy smile can be due to abnormal muscle attachment and their activities or it could be due to deformity of jaw bones.
- Botox provides a temporary solution to permanent problem whereas orthognathic surgery provides life time result.
- Find out more from your facial plastic surgeon