Lybrate.com has top trusted Anesthesiologists from across India. You will find Anesthesiologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Anesthesiologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Srinivas Nayak
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Dr. Srinivas NayakYour feedback matters!
There are numerous people worldwide who suffer from chronic pain. The experience can be quite annoying and painful, not only for the affected person but also for their loved ones and family members. Coping with the situation can be quite a challenge. Chronic pain can leave a person physically as well as emotionally exhausted. Thus, proper management is needed to deal with the situation better.
Causes of chronic pain
Chronic pain can be due to numerous reasons such as
- Use of wrong footwear (especially high heels in case of women).
- Injury due to rigorous and strenuous exercise.
- Unhealthy lifestyle habits, poor posture.
- Chronic pain can also result from a traumatic injury.
- Medical conditions such as Fibromyalgia (a condition characterized by muscular pain, especially in the shoulder and neck region), AIDS, Cancer, Arthritis (Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis), Multiple sclerosis, to name a few, can give rise to chronic pain. Obese people are at a greater risk of suffering from chronic pain.
- In some people, incorrect sleeping posture and the wrong choice of sleeping mattress can cause chronic pain.
- With age, a person is likely to suffer from chronic pain (age related problems and disorders).
The effectiveness of the treatment depends on the severity as well as the factors responsible for the chronic pain.
- Medications such as NSAID (Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs), Tylenol, provide relief in case the pain is not very severe.
- In severe cases, doctors may recommend the use of corticosteroid injection as well as powerful painkillers such as Fentanyl, Lortab or Roxicet.
- Certain antidepressants and antianxiety drugs such as Duloxetine and Valium respectively may also be used to improve the condition.
- Physiotherapy and Bioelectric therapy (the bioelectric therapy works by blocking the pain messages or signals to the brain, thereby relieving the pain) also bear fruitful results.
In addition to the above treatment and medications, certain changes and modifications in lifestyle habits can also help to cope with the chronic pain better.
- People with chronic pain should avoid stress, anxiety, and depression as much as they can. These are nemesis that can aggravate the pain further. Meditation, yoga, breathing exercise, are great stress busters and mood enhancers.
- Obesity is one of the underlying factors responsible for chronic pain. Maintain a healthy body weight. Eat healthy and nutritious diet, exercise regularly (even if it is only for 30 minutes). For obese people with chronic pain, rigorous exercise can prove to be harmful. Indulge in light to moderate exercise. Seek an expert help if necessary.
- Do not compromise on your sleep. Sound sleep can work wonders for the chronic pain. Follow a healthy sleeping routine.
- Refrain from smoking and drinking. These can make the situation worse.
- Gentle massages can help relieve the pain to some extent. Again, it is advised to seek an expert guidance.
- Alternate medications like Chiropractic and Acupuncture have helped many patients with chronic pain.
- Avoid doing very strenuous physical activities.
- Join a support group. You will not only feel better but will also be able to deal with the situation better.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
One of the most common complaints of men and women is that of a back ache with lower back aches being the most common. Apart from an improper posture, this may be caused by old age, lifting heavy weights or an injury to the back. A consistent back ache can affect your daily life and make performing regular tasks uncomfortable. Luckily, it can be managed quite well with simple Ayurvedic remedies.
According to Ayurveda, backaches are triggered by an excess of vata dosh. Thus, the Ayurvedic remedies for a back ache aim at reducing the vata dosh. Ayurvedic remedies are natural and have negligible side effects.
For this reason, they can be prescribed to both children and adults. Some such remedies are:
- Cut down on spices: One of the main characteristics of the VATA DOSH is dryness. This can be caused by pungent spices such as wasabi and green or red chillies. The internal dryness caused by these spices can lead to constipation which in turn can be one of the causes of low back aches. Hence, if you suffer from a chronic backache that may or may not be accompanied by constipation, cut back on the spices and try eating food that is slightly blander.
- Eat food before it gets cold: Eating cold food or cold drinks can also increase the Vata dosha levels in our body. Coldness creates congestion and constricts the internal organs while warm food allows the digestive and stool carrying channels to stay open. This allows for the easy expulsion of waste and reduces toxins in the body. Hence, opt for warm drinks like tea or coffee instead of soft drinks and juices and try to eat your food while it is hot.
- Padahastasana or the standing forward fold pose: This yoga asana is very effective when it comes to treating back pain as it allows the Vata dosha to flow easily through the body. In doing this it opens up the digestive channels that may have been causing constipation and back pain. It also relieves problems associated with sciatica., you can consult an ayurveda and ask a free question.
- Some ethical Ayurvedic preparetions for back: Depending on aetiological factors as Dsh, Dushya, Desh Kala, etc. there are a number of Ayurvedic ethical medicines used for backache, such as Tryodashang Guggule, Yograja Guggle, Vata Gagankush Ras, Rasnadi Kwath, etc.
- Abhyang, Swedan & Panch karma procedures: Massage with medicated oils & then hot fomentation by various Ayurvedic Panchkarma procedures gives very effectic results. Alabu procedure (applying negative pressure) and Raktmokshan (blood letting) have dramatic effect to cure back pain, for it you can should consult Ayurvedic Doctors