Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. SivanagarajuYour feedback matters!
If your child has become increasingly addicted to sweets and other sugary items, this addiction can lead to certain behavioral problems (like mood swings, irritability, anger, etc) in children. Moreover, a high sugar intake can lead to your child falling prey to serious diseases and conditions, including diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular diseases.
Here's what you can do to break your child's indulgent habits and wean him from ill-health causing culprits like cakes, ice creams, candies, chocolates and rich and creamy desserts etc.
1. Practice what you preach -
In order to develop healthy eating habits in your child, it is imperative for you as a parent to lead by example. When it comes to weaning your child from sugary foods and sweets, you yourself should limit your intake. So, if you tell your child to avoid sweets but love sweets yourself, you'd be setting a bad example by eating them yourself and not letting your child have them. The best thing to do is to be a role model to your child as children learn everything from their parents.
2. Curb consumption of sugar by deferring intake to a later date -
Instead of depriving your child completely, it would prove to be more useful to tell them that they could have sweets on some other day. This is because if you deny him his indulgence, your child would invariably go on an eating spree the moment an opportunity arises. A study on a group of restrained eaters and non-diet individuals revealed that restrained eaters were found to consume more food than the non-dieting individuals. Not knowing when they could have their favourite foods again, they went on an eating spree.
Make frequent yet small offerings of sweets while explaining to him the importance of moderation and why he/she shouldn't overindulge but space out sugar intake.
3. Try the 90/10 rule -
Teaching older children the 90/10 principle is another sure-shot way of breaking your child?'s addiction to sweets. The rule calls for 90% of the diet to be made up of healthy food with the remaining 10% being devoted to foods your child wants to indulge in such as junk food, sweets or foods with high sugar content. The total calorie intake that arises from consumption of about 10% or 1-2 fun foods is only about 100-200 calories everyday.
4. Present your child with healthy alternatives to sugary items -
The next time your child wants to indulge in his sugar craving, instead of giving a processed sugary food, give healthier sweet foods like dates, honey or a fresh sweet fruit.
For my sister daughter aged 5, the mouth is getting reddish, when she take food little spicy also. Is there any problem with stomach?
My 4.5 month old baby boy did nit like breast milk and formula milk. Whenever we have tried to feed him they are reacting for vomiting. Please suggest me what to do.
1-healthy eating having diabetes means learning how to count carbohydrates and how the foods you eat affect your blood sugar. A healthy meal plan also includes complex carbohydrates, protein, fiber (beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables), lots of green, leafy vegetables, and limited amounts of heart-healthy fats.
2-being active physical activity can help you keep blood sugar levels normal and manage your diabetes. Being active can also improve your mood and reduce your feelings of stress and anxiety.
3-monitoring checking your blood sugar levels regularly gives you information about your diabetes management. Monitoring helps you know when your blood sugar levels are within your target range and helps you to make choices in what you eat and what you do.
4-taking medication obviously, it's important that you take your insulin, but it's vitally important that you understand how much to take in certain situations. This comes from careful monitoring of your blood sugar levels and getting to know the cause and effect between your insulin therapy and your blood sugar levels.
5-problem solving everyone encounters problems with their diabetes control. If/when you have a problem, you need to know how to troubleshoot your self-care. This can include analyzing and evaluating your situation and thinking about what was different from usual that could have affected your blood sugar. It also means coming up with solutions to try, as well as looking at what worked and what didn't. Don't get bitter, get better.
6-reducing risks you can take steps now to lower your risks of developing health problems in the future. Recommendations to reduce your risks and avoid other health problems include: not smoking, seeing you doctor regularly (to check a1c), visiting your eye doctor at least once a year, brushing and flossing daily and seeing your dentist, taking care of your feet, and listening to your body.
7-healthy coping living with diabetes and its daily demands for self-care can be stressful and may negatively impact your self-management. Not only can stress increase your blood sugar levels, but it can contribute to you making poor choices. The good news is there are many healthy ways to cope with stress.
I think this last point is vitally important, and I want to share three options for managing the stress of living with diabetes:
8-be kind to yourself. Do the best that you can do. It's important to feel good about your successes. Give yourself credit when you are successful at managing your blood sugar and don't be overly critical of yourself if you fall short of a goal.
9-seek support from a network of family and friends who you can talk to when you are upset. Seek opportunities to meet other people with diabetes, such as attending support groups or participating in online forums (such as podcasts or tweet chats), so that you won't feel isolated and alone. Talk to a psychologist or other mental health provider who provides diabetes-focused therapy if you feel depressed or overwhelmed.
10.-choose to have a positive attitude, and cultivate it every day, but also accept when you feel down about diabetes. To have occasional negative thoughts is normal; research has shown that acknowledging those thoughts may help people with diabetes keep their blood sugar levels stable. Acknowledge, but don't dwell; living with a negative mindset will limit your ability to cope. The way you think about events can influence your mood, thoughts and actions.
My 8 month old grand daughter is unable to hold or lift her head. What are the probable causes. Which check do you suggest for diagnosis.
Hey Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. She had fever in past 10 days & since then she is having weakness & low appetite, sometime she gets stomach pain. So doctor please suggest to improve her appetite & remove weakness. Thanks.
My son age is 2.4 years was not eating food daily instead eating biscuits lays etc. What should I do for him to eat food. suggest some ways.
I’m Dr Mehul Chawla, practising, in Gurgaon. I’m practising dentistry since 2011. Since inception, I was always into two things, first was root canal treatments and second is dental implants. Both these fields are closer to each other. Root canals help to save the tooth the implants help to replace the tooth that is spoilt. So let me just tell you briefly about root canal treatments. So root canals, a root canal is a procedure of aeronautic and causative department of dentistry. So it is a procedure to save a tooth for a long time that has been decayed due to the past neglect of the person.
In root canals, they clean the canals of the tooth with an instrument so that to make sure there is no microorganism remaining. Finally, the root of the canal is filled with dental filling material. So let's come to implant now. See implants are not very recent procedures. They are in the market for the past 30 years now but these days they are very famous in India now because the implant cost has drastically decreased.
Implants is basically a procedure to replace one or number of teeth with better than before fixed prosthesis. Also, the implants are more promising replacement options than others because it gives a success rate of more than 98%. So replacement of one tooth to the number of teeth is actually possible with the help of dental implants.
So thanks for watching me. If you wish to see me again or wish to know more about dentistry, just put on the Lybrate. You can email me, you can call me. You can go online and do the video chatting with me.
I will be very happy to share my knowledge with you.
I am a mother. My baby having motions problem now. His teeth are growing now. Please suggest the solution.
Upon reaching adolescence, children's bodies undergo several changes and so do their minds. It is then that their minds are most, as well as least impressionable. And the daunting question regarding the upbringing of an adolescent is how to treat their constantly changing behavior?
Here are some of the tantrums adolescents more commonly throw, and what should ideally be your approach to it:
- Your child seems to hate you: It is very common for a phase of emotional exclusionism to prevail between 16-17 years of age approximately. And the worst thing you could do is heighten that emotion by returning the hatred. Make sure you're firm against any extremely unacceptable behavior, but at the same time, show them that you're there for them no matter what.
- Electronic devices become the center of their attention: Whenever you want to have an earnest conversation with your children, their attention seems to be drawn solely to their phones and computers. They feel the need to be connected to their friends and all times. Ways to monitor that are by setting limit to the maximum hours spent on devices or making them pay their own bills, which will make them more responsible rather than splurging unnecessarily. Also, if your child is not entirely secluded from the family, it is probably best not to interfere all the time.
- Ignoring the curfew: Your kids often stay out later than the set limit. But it is quite possible that your curfew is unreasonable when compared to other parents' curfew. Find out what the average time limit is; it may prevent your child from bearing a grudge against you. In case they still fail to respect your curfew, make sure you spill out to them what the consequences can be, like being grounded for a week. However, in certain cases, your child may be spending time doing nothing constructive, but away from home. There may be something else going on, find out what that is.
- Being friends with the wrong people: Sometimes it might happen that you think some children do not have a good influence on your child, but you cannot say that directly because adolescents tend to get very defensive about their choice of friends. Unless the adolescent is doing something harmful with the friend, like using drugs, let him exercise his choice. Otherwise, don't hesitate from seeking professional help to counsel your child.
- Being over-dramatic: Every emotion is heightened in your child and you cannot tell them that what they are whining or being overjoyed about are trivial, because that's their prime focus then. Let them realize on their own how irrational they sound or else you may risk spoiling your relation with them.
My son, 4 years and 5 month Had his skull deformed due to sleeping postures during his infant hood. Dr. Said that it will auto correct as he grows, but the deformation still exists though a lot has got corrected. What should we do?
My son age is 12 years old, he is suffering stomach problem since 5 or 6 years of age. Everyday he has a tendency to go to latrine 3 to 4 times and also feeling stomach pain off and on. Generally Most of the days he is going spit type of latrine. Please help me what to do?
I am a premature baby when I was born. So the nurse gave me a formulated milk instead of breast milk, so did I have any risk of disease when I becoming old.
My 6 yrs daughter not taking regular food at lunch and dinner time. Always avoid and saying not hungry. Toilet also go on alternative day. Although Health wise good. Please suggest any checkup to be done or any medicine required to be given.
A mother's prime focus always is how to ensure that her child is happy and comfortable, especially when the child is too small. One of the problems which bothers many mothers who are bringing up really small children, is diaper rash. Sensitive skin, tight diaper and prolonged contact with feces and urine etc are common reasons for diaper rash or irritant diaper dermatitis.
Here are few tips to avoid diaper rash and ensuring your child is always comfortable.
1. Careful with wash: if you are using a cloth diaper, be extra careful in washing such that there is no soap remaining in the cloth.
2. Clean well: when bathing your baby, make sure you clean the area covered by diaper with a mild soap and do not rub the area while drying, since the skin is sensitive.
3. Remove soiled diaper instantly: this is the most important. However busy you are, you need to aware of the times when the diaper/cloth has been soiled. And when soiled, the diaper has to be changed at the earliest. Do not keep your baby in the diaper for all hours of the day. It is good if they are out of the diaper for some time every day.
4. Keep the diaper loose. Also, ensure that you wash the cotton diapers with fabric softeners and try to avoid wipes altogether as they have strong chemicals in them.
5. Keep a tab on rashes: if your baby does get the rashes, check with the pediatrician at the earliest. Frequent topical applications of a bland protective barrier agent (zinc oxide paste) may suffice to prevent dermatitis. There are also chances of fungal infections. Antifungal creams should be used on advice of a doctor.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on consult.